1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is why I will never be an early adapter when it comes to cars.

AKA don't buy the first model year.

desihooper likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

EVs in flood zones?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just saw my first and only real-world Rivian running around my 'hood a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to ask the guy what he thought of it, but sadly, we were both moving. lol.

Most people buying Fords and Chevys back in the 80's and 90's probably are used to this whether first year or not. :D Seriously though, I had a friend who drove a '67 or '68 Impala that had a tire fly off while driving down S. Main at 50 mph back in the day. We had a good laugh about that one. I always thought he'd end up being a pimp or drug dealer, but ironically enough, I think he's a mechanical engineer now.

#1343 Dr of Dunk, Oct 8, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    Invisible Fan, Ubiquitin and Sajan like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's not good

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I finally started to look at solar for the house, and for a 10kw install - they quoted 50k, that is just too much - anyone have an installer that skips the sales people?

DD

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Just spent a couple weeks in Europe and there are definitely more EVs running around over there than here.

9. rimrocker

EU just announced only zero emission cars to be sold after 2035. They tried for 2030 but couldn't get agreement.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Not bad news for the industry .... NACS are the future.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

basically......everyone should use our connector because we don't want to change anything...

and under what authority are they calling it the "north american charging standard"?

this has ATT 5G Evolution energy...

B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lexus is the brand I trust the most, and they have an EV rolling out in 2023

seems to only get 220 miles, but if I were to purchase my 1st EV, it would be from them

13. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

It seems toyota doesn't really want to make EVs. Their statement seems to indicate they feel PHEVs are the way to go but their hand is being forced I guess and their first EV wasn't a complete failure but it was pretty underwhelming. I'm sure they will catch up.

14. rimrocker

Yeah, Toyota's reaction to trends over the last few years is puzzling. They were one of the few companies that came out in favor of the Trump administration's quest to loosen California emission standards and they have completely wasted their Prius head start, doing almost nothing since those cars were introduced. They are also lagging far behind other auto makers in decarbonizing their supply chain. I don't know what they are thinking.

Sajan, jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

As much as I like Toyota, I wouldnt.

Their success in ICE and hybrid tech does not translate to success in EV.

They are late to the EV game after contemplating on it a decade ago.

Their latest EV offer is a complete disappointment and there is nothing on the table from then to get excited over.

lexus is just a rebadged Toyota so don’t expect anything magical.

16. rimrocker

In other news, it's been exactly a year since we brought our Mach-E home, so here's an update:

We still like the car. A lot.

Most of the weirdness of going from a 2010 analog rig to a 2021 digital car has faded, we are now familiar with the all the features and options, and the cost/maintenance benefits are even better than expected. Also, the range has been slightly higher than expected. At full charge Ford says 316 miles, but our car has hit 335-341 at times. Regenerative braking also makes you a better driver because you have to think a little more ahead than when using traditional brakes. We've probably put less miles on it than the average person would simply because we don't have a daily work commute, but we use it most days for errands and such.

I was worried about the glass roof during the summer, but it didn't seem like a big deal. Even so, if I do start to notice I found a clip-on shade to buy. The only other after-market thing I'd be tempted to get if I could find it is a replacement charge port door. The original is OK but seems flimsy. I'm worried I'll snap it if I bump into it when walking around the garage during charging.

Just plugging in at night and not having to go to a gas station is really nice and easy.

jiggyfly and jchu14 like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Any EV’s or EV brands that have caught your eye?

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Toyota is slow to adapt newer technologies. They stick to their reliable, tried and true mechanics even if it is outdated.

They hit a home run on hybrid tech with Priuses. PHEV is a hybrid with a bigger battery. Honestly, I think that's the way to go for the masses. We don't have the battery supply for everyone to have a 200+ mile vehicle, nor is there quick enough charging universally for that.

I have a RAV4 Prime. I might deplete its 40 mile charge once a month. Even so, the only time I fill up on gas is for going out of town, which is a few times a year.

Going all in on EV adoption is hopeful thinking, in my opinion. We are not ready for it by 2030.

Sajan likes this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

You were right the first time, Lexus is not just a rebadged Toyota.... They are built way differently with higher quality parts altogether. If Lexus is putting out an EV that thing is going to be refined and reliable. That's the Lexus way and that's how Japanese auto makers do things regardless. I can't think of a great EV anyways, its not like there are companies outside of Tesla that have been doing it for a long long time and have an EV pedigree. The responsible automakers that take it seriously to put out a good product even if late to the game is where people should look at. Everyone new at EV's, I'm trusting Lexus if I had to get one...

Reeko likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lexus is ol’ reliable for me…I’m not getting the 1st EV model they’re dropping in 2023, but once they iron out the kinks and develop one with competitive range, power, and charging time, I’m going with them over everyone else in the EV game until further notice

Sajan and Salvy like this.