1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. HTM

HTM Member

People get so disingenuous. Every Astros fan appreciates and loves Verlander for what he has done. You can do that and form the opinion that moving forward resources showed be prioritized elsewhere. It doesn’t make you a “hater” or that you’re treating anyone like trash.

Spare us the sanctimony.

We have a very deep rotation, the offense needs work. The offense wasn’t blowing anyone away this post season. They did enough to win but just barely.

Rodman23 and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  2. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Past success in the WS does not guarantee future success in the WS. See Altuve, Smith and Alvarado.

If we do get JV back, it doesn't mean we get nothing else. Just getting a Healthy Brantley back on a prove it contract and Abreu would be affordable and lengthen our line-up.

lw17 likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

"Are you willing to overpay me like Seager, if so then yes I'm interested"

The Rangers throwing around fat stacks in an effort to get back to 3rd place.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I've rarely seen a player in Free Agency tell a team he wasn't interested. Even if he isn't, he wants all other teams to think there is competition to drive his price up.

We might see if Judge is interested just to drive HIS price up to the Yankees. This kind of report is mutually beneficial.

6. Nook

Nook Member

He will be 35 years old next year, and knows that this will be his last contract of any real length. If the Rangers are willing to pay him 5/175 of another large number, then he is out of there. He hasn't exactly been happy in New York anyway.

You figure he has made about 110 million in his career so far and turned down options that would give him 2/65..... he is going to go for the longest and biggest deal he can get.

[​IMG]

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  7. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Have we signed everyone yet?

desihooper likes this.
  8. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

This isn’t like nba or nfl where the first day of free agency is crazy. Some guys may agree to a deal as soon as this weekend but deals will take time.

whiskeyred likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Estimated AAV for DeGrom (3yr) and Verlander (2yr) on Spotrac has risen to over $45M/yr.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

NVM.

#510 Joe Joe, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Sometimes a response is a concurring opinion rather than a dissenting opinion. Just a possibility.

HTM likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is concurring with Seal's opinion. The "Spare us the sanctimony" threw me off. If that isn't directed at Seal, I'm cool.

13. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

I would give it twice to deGrom before Verlander.

14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I'm kidding

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

My guess is that DeGrom gets more money overall that Verlander.

Just keep in mind that Verlander was better than DeGrom last year.

DeGrom has serious injury issues.

He is only four years younger than Verlander and DeGrom hasn't pitched a full season in a long time.

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If there was Game 7, Verlander would make no difference and we'd be without Altuve, Bregman and Yuli. We likely would be underdog for Game 7 which is why Brantley is more vital than JV because we have pitchers. At the same time, we could of, should of traded Urquidy for a bat this past trade deadline. Brantley is a career .300 hitter.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm thinking 3 year 120 million with a mutual option on the third year with a 10 million dollar buyout.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Verlander is the safest bet of all the big money free agent pitchers.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

This is hindsight but I'm glad they didn't trade Urquidy who is under team control for 3 more years for a rental bat like Wilson Contreras. It would've only made sense if we also got a prospect in the deal. Dusty would've just utilized Contreras the same way he did Vasquez.

Rodman23 and Htown Legend like this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

I agree.

Urquidy pitched 164 innings this year in the regular season. You can never have enough pitching depth. This past year our rotation was pretty healthy. The depth can change real quick with an injury or trade or possibly JV leaving. Plus you control Urquidy for three more yrs.

everyday eddie likes this.