1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Bullpen Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 11, 2022.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

I know it's early, but I really feel like our bullpen can be a weapon this year. Might not be a Tampa Bay type bullpen, but I feel really good this year, moreso than most years where we've had to patch up our pen at the deadline.

This year, assuming Pressley gets back to health:
    - Pressley
    - Neris
    - Maton
    - Montero
    - Stanek
    - Abreu
    - Taylor

Our 7-8-9 at full health is pretty money. Maton was nails last year and has had 1 or 2 rough outings, I expect he'll improve as the season goes on. Neris has been better than expected, I really like him. And hopefully Pressley's knee and his stuff returns to form.

Montero hoping he's turned a corner in his career, always had the stuff, with a little coaching and stability I think he can be that guy to come in and get out of jams.

Abreu seems to have taken a step forward this year, it'll be a big year for him to prove he can stay up here, but the stuff is electric.

Taylor is kinda solid but unspectacular, might not be in for huge situations but he's been pretty good over the past 2 years

And then there's Stanek. Kind of a wildcard, but his stuff is unhittable when it's on. Even when he's not on he's a tough guy to face.

This doesn't even include Javier, but I hope we can keep him in the rotation

RKREBORN, B-Bob, arabrocket and 7 others like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hate and I am fascinated by the changes in the ball.

It hurts some of the Astros hitters (though favors the younger guys relative to league). For pitching though, woo doggie it helps the Astros.

Taylor is having a horrible year locating, but dead ball plus the wiggle on his fastball has kept the ball in the park mostly. He's rocking a 1 ERA. I expect he'll pitch better, but not get quite as lucky and have a sub-3 ERA.

3. HeyBudLetsParty

Only problem I’ve had with the pitching this year is maybe not getting the most out of Javier. I really think he’d be better fit as a permanent starter and maybe kick Urquidy to your long guy or tandem starter. Feel like Urquidy stuff plays up only 1 time through the lineup.

rpr52121 likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If Urquidy loses his spot to McCullers or Javier I send him to AAA to stay stretched out.

rpr52121 likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Playoff pitching staff:

SP: Verlander, Valdez, Javier, Garcia
    BP:
    Pressly: 9th high leverage
    Neris: 8th high leverage
    Montero: 7th high leverage
    McCullers: multiple inning high leverage
    Stanek, Maton, Taylor: matchups, extra innings, or single inning low leverage
    Odorizzi, Urquidy: multiple inning low leverage
    Abreu would be 1st up as injury replacement

Obviously they could be disadvantaged against some teams with our 2-3-4 SP depending on how the rest of the season goes for Javier, Framber, and Garcia but overall that staff looks STACKED. Also would not surprise me if Hunter Brown, Peter Solomon, Forrest Whitley, or Shawn Dubin made a case to be included in the postseason bullpen.

rpr52121 likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lowest bullpen ERA currently with Pressly having a 5+ ERA. 8th in FIP so there may be some regression there.

#6 Joe Joe, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
    B-Bob likes this.
  7. htownbball

htownbball Member

Bump :) This bullpen was MONEY in the postseason

Stephen66, BigM, desihooper and 10 others like this.
  8. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Good job James Click assembling the most dominate bullpen.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Greatest bullpen ever

B-Bob, Nook, rpr52121 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Fire Click.

No Worries likes this.
  11. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

12. htownbball

htownbball Member

I remember seeing Abreu earlier in the season and he took a huge step in just throwing strikes. That's all he ever needed to do. And he kept getting better and better. If Montero leaves this offseason, Abreu steps into that 8th inning role and maybe Hunter Brown steps into Abreu's old role as a multi-inning reliever.

Abreu really reminds me of a young Lidge, and maybe Hunter Brown can be similar giving you 90 innings out of the pen. Depending on the health of the staff next year, maybe he's a Javier/Peacock guy to keep him stretched out with the hope that he can make it as a starter eventually.

#12 htownbball, Nov 6, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    htownrox1, B-Bob, AB423 and 5 others like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Abreu really managed to fly under the radar all season despite his numbers, and underlying numbers, being amazing.

People are gonna give a ton of deserved credit to Luhnow for this title, but the BS that Click did nothing but coat tail needs to end.

B-Bob, Nook, arabrocket and 5 others like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Best of luck fighting that fight around here.

B-Bob, Nook, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dude, your crystal ball must have had a smudge on it ;)

Just saying :D

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Astros clearly won despite both Click and Dusty.

17. Nook

Nook Member

This is the best bullpen in baseball history.

As for Click, the best thing he did was not panic and let the prospects he inherited blossom. It’s not a slight, most GM’s wouldn’t have been as patient as Click has been and it has been the BEST move, and he has a ring to prove it.

While I don’t agree with him having Gross run his scouting department or letting Campo leave… he has the League banners and a ring and deserves all the credit he gets.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Montero has pitched himself out of the Astros budget. Especially with Pressly and Neris on bigger $$$ (for RP) contracts.

2023:

Closer: Pressly
    Set up: Abreu, Neris
    Next up: Stanek, S. Martinez
    Token lefty: Mushinski or Taylor
    Last piece: Maton, Dubin or Paredes.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Yordan The Great

I got Montero as a 1 year wonder and buyer beware is all I have to say.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We should let him walk. We don't need another 8 million RP. We can always get a rental if we need it at the deadline. Remember we got both Graveman and Montero for Toro.

Snake Diggit likes this.