1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Development

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xopher, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess the question is . .. what does DEVELOPMENT look like to you?
    Someone learning to use their off hand more?
    Their dribble getting better
    Their shot becoming more consistent
    Consistent Effort. . . .
    . . . .those are things I look for

That Said
    I want to see some Development with Silas
    When the Rockets bring the ball up court . . . .. . do you have a serious expectation of what is about to happen?
    The Harden years may have spoiled us in the predictability of the offense but I don't think so
    We watch other games. . . .you see where they may set a pick . . where they might have some cuts
    Do you consistently see that with the Rockets Offense

What is our defensive scheme?
    Man?
    Switching?

Rocket River

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, we all want to know everything in the presidency as well. They tell us
    they will be transparent; but rarely do. Kinda like the making of sausage....
    not always good to know everything pertaining to the process.

Many players representing themselves without an agent find it insulting when
    the team says, "your client (you) didn't do enough to earn x amount of dollars."

Same with selling your own home yourself. Buyers point out all that they
    feel is wrong with the house. Feelings get hurt and can obstruct
    objective thought process or negotiations.

3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know I'm just trying to find an answer to this. We are adding two more rookies this year. 2 more next year. If they aren't developed the we will end up a bottom feeder for years. If they end up with the 5th pick this year do they use both picks or try to add the Nets pick (maybe something else) to move up to 1 or 2 to get one of the so called can't miss guys? Is it quality over quantity? I just don't think drafting a ton of players and trying to develop them is going to work ,because no one is going to get a full chance to develop. Could you see this board blow up if we traded Green or KPJ or whoever and they are all-stars in two years?

Or we draft at 5 and 16 and they are busts ? Or we trade 5 and 16 to get one or two and 5 and 16 blow up? I hope there is a plan besides "Let's just draft everybody and we will figure it out." Maybe if Stone had a press conference and told us at least the bare bones of a plan. I just don't know.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The true answer is threat it’s up to guys to work on their individual games and bodies .

the team , as constructed , as played , as directed by the GM I’m almost 100 percent sure .... is meant to lose .

kpj , green, Josh , Tate , sengun can all work on their 3 .

each game generates film and opportunity to go over what’s good and bad .

unfortunately, the goal isn’t to win. We are developing by testing guys by putting them out of their comfort zone (as are other teams pushing us there )

look , green was the number 2 overall pick , but he wasn’t “ready” to start at the beginning of the year .

we are giving him plenty of undeserved minutes ... and he’s getting better . He’s looking like an nba player now . Not a very good one yet , but there are flashes . He’s getting more comfortable.

sengun is tricky . I do believe he’s limited by conditioning as well as by our roster fit around him .

jc has been the most deserving but we have the greatest glut and strength at his “position” .. kpj , Gordon , Tate , nwaba , kmj and green .

we end up playing Tate and kmj and nwaba at the 4 a lot too .

More than anything we lack skill . Aside from no one wanting to trade for him , I feel like that’s the reason we still have wood . granted , I hope we move him soon .

The name of the game is individual right now. Over the offseason and next year hopefully we will begin to place these guys in better positions to take advantage of their strengths and build cohesion as a team .

as much as I’m impatient I know these guys have a long way to go

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Many disagree with that.

I saw tweet after tweet of people saying, "I hope Silas is watching!?" "This is how Green
    can play if you don't just hide him in the corner!"

All the Mobley fans get upset when this is brought up. They all say no defense,
    no defense! But yet Mobley had the same opportunity to excel vs the no defense
    and either chose not to or couldn't get 20 points on excellent FG%.

We couldn't get Lin to coexist with Harden,

Ty Lawson had to be relegated to corner spot up 3-pt shooter because Harden
    couldn't play nice. We all know Harden was the bettercach and shoot spot
    up shooter that should've played off of Lawson.

CP3 and Harden had to have CP3 subbed out after the first 5 minutes of the game
    to stagger Harden - CP3.

Westbrook - Harden the same.

But not just Houston, Rondo - Westbrook doesn't work.
    Marbury, Iverson, other score first PG's don't. It's like a Beta fish.
    The Beta fish looks nice, looks pretty, look friendly....but put
    two Beta fish in the same bowl and see what happens.
    Things that look good on paper don't always mesh.

Porter is now comfortable in his own skin running point....
    Now we need Green feeling that same way. Schroder
    gives Green that backup PG on the court that he needs.
    If he turns the ball over two times in a row....Schroder
    can run point a few possessions to settle him down.

I know you want Sengun running the offense through him; but I don't.
    No sustained success running the offense from the post up position.
    Guard oriented offenses get to the finals and win the championship.
    Watch how far Nuggets go this year, again. Embiid had to go out
    and get probably the #1 SG slash combo guard. But let's see if
    post up play can coexist with Harden iso. Both want high USG%.

6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

New Coach

DaDakota likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Development:

KpJ - less TO’s, increased passing, continued improvement in shooting efficiency, improve defense, a maturity to be okay with potentially being a 6th man.

Martin - better shooter, more confidence, continue developing 3/4 versatility, get stronger.

Green - better dribbler, better shooter, better defense, better passer, more confidence, get stronger

Christopher & Sengun - continue to improve shooting and defense

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

To me development is for coaching to see what each player strength is and put them to use in the game.
    Right now when Rockets bring the ball up court, I have no expectation. I don't think even KPJ know what to do. I see them waste like 2-3 sec to finally have someone to come set a pick for KPJ. You see Sengun want the ball on the top and you sometime see them ignore him. There is no game plan. Basically everyone just try to play fast, run, attack the basket, get to the line. Defense is a mess. Some switch and some don't switch.

Xopher likes this.
  9. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. There may be some development as individuals, but I don't see the team development where they are all playing together instead of individuals. Maybe the plan is to develop their individual skills first, then have them develop as a team? Yeah Jalen has shown development, but they aren't utilizing his best skills. He needs to yell at Silas "Nobody puts Jalen in a corner!"

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Development development development

Silas can hear to coach a movement offense based on veteran players such as James Harden.

Silas knows nothing about developing players. He puts players in positions but wtf are the players gonna do IF THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO PLAY!

DaDakota likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think giving head coach (or any coach) credit for "development" is kind of silly - you don't have enough counterfactuals to know if any other coach would have made a difference at all.

That said, I don't think you can get better anectdotal evidence for development than this from Steph Curry, one of history's great "development" stories

Coach Silas is always good in my book. We watched so much film my rookie year. He helped me understand what it meant to be a pro and see the game as a point guard, and deal with some of the uncertainty that was going around the Warriors back then in ’09. He’s such a good, solid dude; he shoots it to you straight, very approachable. He made me comfortable asking questions and learning. He pushed me, too.

Things kind of clicked halfway through my rookie year. A lot of that was because of the constant work that we put in behind the scenes. I know he’s got a lot of experience since then, but he hasn’t changed in terms of his personality, and that will, hopefully, get them to a place they (the Rockets) can turn the tide.

I told him after the game I was excited that he’s in that head seat. It’s been a long time coming. That story is going to be awesome to watch unfold. I’m rooting for him

xaos likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just because you are a nice man who is good to talk to, and a good assistant doesn't mean it translates to being a head coach.

DD

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  13. alethios

alethios Member

Hot take theory: Silas is being kept as HC until we secure Wemby in the draft, then he will be replaced by a coach that can develop young talent.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah but peopel were asking about "development" - teaching players to play smarter and better sounds a lot like development to me!

I mean if anything the guy that who a scrawny 6 foot PG credits with developing him into a top-10 player of all time seems like the development story of the century..

Maybe Silas is TOO good at development to be a head coach. Maybe he needs to be promoted to GM for Player Development.

15. xaos

xaos Member

Right now there's more individual development based on their ranking system going on rather than team development - which results in a lot of losses. We've prioritized Green's development and it is paying off. He looks like he will have the ability to lead the league in scoring one day if he wants to. Of course, that doesn't result in championships, so he'll need to develop other parts of his game. Silas has A LOT of work to do to get this team to start looking more like a team, but the Rockets are building from the ground up and this team is very far from complete. The NBA only has a handful of players who morph into a transcendent talent that by themself transforms a team into a championship team. Others do it by multiple all stars -- which has always been the most likely outcome entering this rebuild. Green and Smith can be critical parts of a championship core - with Green having the upside of being a upper tier All Star. Add in guys like Eason, Sengun, etc who are also fighting for that opportunity.

It was clear to me then and still is clear that we are in high end asset accumulation mode. The most logical path to that was to bottom our three years before we owe our pick to OKC. This upcoming draft is the only draft that has franchise championship player. The odds of getting him is low, however the trio of Green/Smith/pick will be a nice core to start to build a championship team. A process that seems long, but we're still in the early phases of it.

This year will be the last year to have our pick when acquiring high end talent via the draft. The upcoming offseason free agents doesn't look like a place get a high end talent. So, we will need to start consolidating some assets, which requires picking which players we build around. How soon we do that will be determined by a few factors: who are we building around? Where are they at in their development? Which franchise star is available? Etc. Us not focusins on developing KMJ (for example) and having him fight for minutes is a big part of rebuilding teams. There's thousands of KMJ type guys who come and go in the process.

Silas deserves a lot of criticism because our team doesn't have fundamental principles that even young teams should begin developing. The players are young, but that doesn't they can't move without the ball or make quicker decisions. It doesn't excuse our team from over dribbling. That's a product of the coach paired with youth.

Ultimately Silas needs to understand that you can both develop players individual skills and develop the players from a team concept, which I don't think he has done both well so far, as OP pointed out. This is a by product of building from the ground up and figuring out who your core pieces are, which at this pace is 1-2 players per year. Our first year was really last year during Green's rookie season. Seems painfully long, but we're not as far off schedule as our record implies.