1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ/Rockets agree on extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 17, 2022.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Seems like a reasonable deal, this is the kind of extension I can get behind. Would love to know all the details just to be sure but sounds good so far on what's been released.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He was under contract!! That might be why there wasnt "any interest elsewhere"

randerson likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Congrats to KPJ! Overpaying IMO but in Stone I trust. Will be interesting to see how things blow up with contracts going forward.

don grahamleone and FrontRunner like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

How so? The Rockets are likely going to pay him more in exchange for the ability to get out if things go sour.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Man, wtf are u talking about? Why should Tilman hand him that much money when he’s willing to agree to a deal like this? The fact that KPJ would ever accept something like this means his value on the open market isn’t high at all. The man just agreed to only 15 mil guaranteed, and it’s time to attack Tilman for not offering 130? Gtfoh

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Even though KPJ has made improvements on/off the court, still doesn't mean we pay him those insane contracts we saw this week. This is a win/win for both sides as KPJ still has the chance to make a ton of money and if it doesn't work out, rockets wont be in a bind with his contract.

don grahamleone and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. RocketsDraftTV

no other player in the league will agree to a contract like this. Tilman must have begged kpj to take this contract. I cant wait to see the contracts jabari, tari and jalen green will sign oh boy

8. alethios

alethios Member

I see it as good insurance in case he blows up this year. Now we have him for 4 years and don't have to worry about potentially paying more than he's worth this summer.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. RocketsDraftTV

i'd argue kpj is just as talented as poole and herro. And those guys not only signed for more money while both teams were luxury tax but their contract was fully guarenteed, tilman gave kpj a contract that was below his market value and not even guarenteed. Like i said i cant wait to see the contracts jalen green, tari and bari sign

NewAge likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green would never take this because he would have max offers lined up from multiple teams if the Rockets tried to act cute during negotiations. Jabari won’t be in this position either. Stop embarrassing yourself

KPJ should’ve bet on himself if this is the best he could get, but he chose not to…a huge win for the Rockets

11. RocketsDraftTV

or maybe kpj just loves houston and wanted to stay regardless of what the rockets offered. KPJ is close with john lucas and the rockets players, my issue is with kpj taking less money overall. The least tilman could do is fully guarentee the contract. But tilman is a cheapskate

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. RocketsDraftTV

i guess we just have to wait and see

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Deal makes cents compared to Tyler Herro.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Again Kevin Porter Jr was under contract for the Houston Rockets THIS season for 8Ms. Why do you people want to spin it as if he had no options? Was he on the trade block? That idea would be more applicable to the scenario where he plays out the deal with no extension and then hits the market as a RFA next year. SMH.

edit: actually under contract for only 3Ms!! Whoops!

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. persian hoopa

persian hoopa Contributing Member

If you're a fan of the team, you want the team to get the best contract possible with its players. This is a great deal for the ROCKETS. If you're a KPJ-only fan then your point might make some sense. It makes no sense at all if you're a fan of the team. You don't want your team to spend stupid money and sign bad contracts to prove your owner isn't cheap.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

What you’d argue is irrelevant. The league doesn’t view him that way. Multiple teams would be lining up to pay someone like Poole big money if GS didn’t. If KPJ was a free agent right now, he would be getting middling offers at best. If KPJ wanted to bet on himself, he could have, but he didn’t. Why is that? Why would he accept a contract like this?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In a way I would say he has bet on himself, if he performs the Rockets won't cut him.

I think he knows 20 million per season wasn't remotely on the table no matter how well he played this season. It also gives the Rockets a vested interest in his success, so they're gonna do what they can to make him worth keeping for 4 seasons.

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

This is totally the best deal for both parties tbh. Now it's on KPJ. He's bet on himself, I hope he wins it.

20. RocketsDraftTV

the warriors spent close to 500 million to buy a championship. Do you see tilman ever doing that to win. I do not

you are not gonna win the nba title being cheap, unless the goal is to tank forever