1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun simply not good enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 11, 2022.

1. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Obviously a great post player but have noticed some hesitation in the preseason. Perhaps it's a natural part of his game that he's being asked to curtail because it's not a part of our 'scheme'? whatever that is. Can kind of see it in the body language of the other guys too when he starts operating down there, flailing their arms if Sengun's one post touch all quarter goes afoul.

rooting for the big guy :)
    idk if coaching staff is doing him any favors or putting him the proper spots to succeed...

roslolian likes this.
  2. Moahst

Moahst Member

Maybe on defense Sengun isn't the center. Maybe Jabari Smith Jr. guards the other teams best big man and protects the rim. In the new NBA you're allowed to have one player who can't shoot. Maybe Sengun is our one guy.

roslolian likes this.
  3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Sengun did have surgery on his teeth right before his weakish game. Painful teeth is highly distracting. He seems recovered and doing fine now.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Bro I’m gonna say this again like I said the other day … be patient ! Watching them grow up into better players already at such a young age is the best part ! Grow and support ! We got this

SubE, cmoak1982, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

I like role they put him on o. He isnt in his top form but he will get there. Very improved three ball too

roslolian likes this.
  6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I miss CWood

maj21 likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He's on your Mavs team. Have fun with him.

8. conquistador#11

I had heem finishing with
    16 pts/7assists/7rebounds/2 blocks in 25 minutes.
    2 of his 5 missed shots were gimmies with no defender around him after spinning himself free from Turner, the lego man. He'll hit those.

Boxouts should be an official stat. He did an excellent job, allowed KJ and KPJ to get 3 rebs that were his. Turner was so frustrated by the peskyness, he threw his weight at Sengun numerous times, no call.

2 blown spectacular assists by Garuba and Kevin on gimmie shots.

Prettt gewd numbers for a 20yr. I hear that he will be like Baby Sabonis. I so wanted the Rox to draft Baby Sabonis but Sengun plays sneaky hustle defense that gets under players skin. With Jabari next to him, it's going to be easier for Sengun.

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think they should stagger Sengun's minutes with our starting backcourt. Sort of like the Rockets did with Harden and Chris Paul.

Let Sengun completely run the offense with the backups since we don't really have a solid backup PG anyway.

backwardhead likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Sengun is destined for a few all star appearances on the Pacers/Bobcats.

He will never get the usage in Houston to be the man.

11. mightybosstone

Eww. Why?

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is that you? I know that accent anywhere. Lol

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

That explains this sht thread. OP was missing cwood, the dude who plays even less defense than sengun.

14. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I am happy that he plays for the team I support (Houston) but everything will be much better/easier for him if he plays for an Eastern conference team. Horford retires, Alpi starts next to Tatum&Brown, another dynasty, Or wherever Ben Simmons plays is a dream field for Alpi.

Hope Alpi stays beyond rookie contract but I am afraid that Rockets will be forced to trade Alpi even having bird right.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, me too. Empty Stats? Now some were saying the same thing about Jalen Green after the Heat lose....CRAZY!

Sengun is our center now and I think the center is our weakest position, only because he chose to play with Turkey this summer rather than stay here and get better but he's 20yrs old, so I'm not going to kill him. He has time.

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We need to be asking ourselves what is Sengun's comp? How good can he be?

He reminds me of Al Horford but a better passer. Horford is a good player, has been in the league for over 10yrs BUT he's not a great player!

You can win with a Horford-esq type player but the question is just how much? And considering the size of players coming into the league now 7'1, 7'2 and taller.....IS SENGUN WHAT YOU WANT IN A STARTING CENTER?

17. maj21

maj21 Member

C Wood was good offensively, but Jalen and KPJ were never gonna flourish with him here. Sengun’s screens is has given them way more open looks, unlike C Wood who wasn’t good at setting them. With our backcourt and Bari, we don’t need a scoring center. We need a legit 7 footer that can anchor our defense, rebound, and rim run like crazy. Kinda a like a Gobert, but I want one that’s more switchable.

18. maj21

maj21 Member

Except Horford is a really good defender and can shoot

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I thought some of these folks were just anti sengun b/c they wanted a different type of center, but pining for Cwood of all folks at the center makes me question the basketball IQ of some folks.

Pining for CWood b/c of his offense while he has shown to b sht at defense, has shown the that some folks are just being hypocrites when complaining about Sengun's "defense".

There's a reason why CWood is demoted to a sixth man

#319 DatRocketFan, Oct 15, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    Little Bit, cmoak1982 and Ankara1923 like this.
  20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Doesn't help when there's some real bozos on the team as well..

He got into position and was looking to receive the ball from JC...... who instead tried to throw it through the entire key and out to the opposite three point line.

One of the more perplexing decisions I've seen in a while considering the very simple option of dumping it into Sengun VS the pass which was less than 1/100 chance of making it through all those defenders.