1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure where to put this, so this thread will do.

Have heard some interesting stuff around the Astros.

First Baker wants to be back even if they win a WS. He likes this owner and group of players a lot. The Latin players and American players get along better than any team he has coached.

Second, there have been zero discussions between James Click and Crane about an extension as of mid September. A lot of talk about Crane, but some in the Astros front office think Click would jump at another GM job away from Crane. Click says nothing about it.

Third, Crane expressed displeasure at Click in the Winter when he didn’t add a bat and more so at the trade deadline. Click doesn’t like how involved Crane can be and would like more input in who the manager will be.

The feeling in the building is that both may shop for changes with Click looking for GM openings and Crane considering other GM’s. Crane plays it extremely close to the vest on player side moves.

If neither side can find an upgrade they will remain wed for awhile. Crane has given Click finances to do things like increase scouting and development. If anything Crane wants Click to do more.

According to some around the Astros, Crane has actually become more involved in the Astros since the scandal and is probably the most knowledgeable owner of baseball in the sport. He studies and observes and consults with people outside the organization or not directly with the team day to day. Roger Clemens has a lot of pull as he is close to Crane.

Apparently Crane was a college or semi pro baseball player and is very shrewd and decisive about baseball based moves involving his team and views himself as a partner with the GM.

The Astros are likely to make a strong offer to Jose Abreu. He is one of a group of 5-10 players they are doing a deep dive on. They want to get him on a 2-3 year deal.

Verlander may be gone. Ben Verlander has had some conversations with the Astros. The Astros are willing to offer a lot on a 1-2 year deal but it may not be enough years. Also, Verlander is someone that Crane admires.

Maldonado is leaning towards returning and not retiring like he was considering. Christian Javier would be open to an extension but the Astros have been shy.

Tucker wants his money and has zero fear of the risks involved.

Crane has been told he can go over budget by his investors.

#461 Nook, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  2. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Awesome update. Thank you. I wonder who Ben Verlander talked to - if someone in GM office the “baalanced” response (good money, few years) makes sense. But we know Crane will make the decision and given everything else you said I have to believe he won’t let JV walk. The PR if nothing else would be messy - neither Carlos nor Springer were 1st at their position at the time.

JV plus Abreu would be a helluva off-season.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Really good insight, Nook. Thanks for posting.

Nook and Htown Legend like this.
  4. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

What are the chances that we end up with Jared Crane as GM in the next 5 years?

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Moves I hope we make in the offseason.

-Giving Click a nice deal

-Bringing back JV quickly (whatever he wants - done), making competitive offers for Diaz & Montero.

-Abreu, Bell at 1B. I feel pretty confident both would be very interested in playing in Houston. Yuli is still a very nice fallback or if Diaz wanted more than Gurriel, then Yuli is a bench guy. Diaz and Yuli off the bench seems like a PS4 team.

-Mancini or Brantley brought back

I see four-five needs to be met. JV or best starter they can acquire. Abreu, Bell or Gurriel at 1B, Diaz or Gurriel off the bench, LF/DH Mancini or Brantley.

Montero for 7-8 mil sounds about right but I’d stick too not going beyond with what they have in the farm.

We need too pay some luxury tax with next years payroll. Crane can afford it.

6. Elienator

Elienator Member

Any insight into why the Astros would be hesitant to discuss an extension with Javier? There's a strong argument he's the second best pitcher on the team, highly versatile, and still only 25. Is it just that he's so far away from free agency and they don't like long extensions or do they have other concerns?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not Nook, but Javier gets a lot of value through generating extreme launch angles. There aren't many pitchers that do it as well as him. I'd expect this causes it to be very difficult to have confidence in judging his long term future performance. Also, he's made a huge jump in performance this year from both a quality and an endurance standpoint. That could make negotiations tougher unless Javier is really seeking security.

Htown Legend likes this.
  8. Screaming Fist

I think the Astros would be crazy to pass on an extension to Javier if he's willing to sign a reasonable one. He arguably has the highest ceiling of any of the homegrown Astros pitchers and really just needs to develop a quality third offering to move from really good to top 10 in the league, imo. The fact that he can dominate like he can off the back of pretty much a FB/SL combo is really impressive. Developing a good changeup would make his life even easier against LHB while also hopefully giving his GB% a boost.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At this point, it would be stupid to leave Brown off the playoff roster and I definitely think he could have finished the no hitter yesterday. I think it would be wise to schedule him to finish a game with either McCullers or Javier since they seldom get past 6 innings. If either of them struggle he could easily eat up 5 innings before the relief core of Stanek, Montero, Neri's, Pressly jump in.

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Astros can get a pitcher as good as Javier to sign an affordable, reasonable extension, they should do it.

11. Screaming Fist

just call up the Braves and ask how they do it

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They would say don't wait until arbitration, and to focus on hitters. It helps if the guy isn't coming off a great season. It also helps if he has a contract with other prospects such that their MLB earnings are pooled.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

No idea. Last I heard he was working more on the finance side of it.

His old man is the one that has really dove head first into the analytics and scouting side of the Astros.

14. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Giving JV whatever he wants? LOL, luckily that won't happen. Maybe you don't follow the team super close but we are loaded with starting pitchers and absolutely do not need to overspend on Verlander.

Brantley can come back if he can learn to play first base, having both Alvarez and Brantley on the roster makes things difficult as both really need to limit their time in the outfield.

I like the Abreu idea tho

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm actually more excited about next year than the upcoming Post Season.
    Addition by subtraction.

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Who would you say WON the Free Agent Period? Many would say Texas or NYM. Was it worth it?

Who would you say WON the Trade Deadline? Most would say San Diego. Was it worth it?

17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

20220616_142523.jpg

18. Nook

Nook Member

Christian Javier really needs to be in the post season rotation.

In the second half his era is 1.79

He leads baseball in having the lowest hits per 9 innings at 5.2

Hitters are hitting .172 against him this season.....

Around the all star break I said he was very close to becoming a dominant ace.... and then he gave up 5 runs in his next start..... but the reality is that he is on that cusp again. All of the indicators are that he is EXTREMELY hard to hit. His BABIP, his K rate, average against, his splits to lefties and righties.

He needs to start pitching more innings but that will come in time.... he has even added a little velocity this season.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I prefer THIS Format for the Playoff Bracket:

[​IMG]

NYC Teams do NOT have to be ABOVE THE FOLD if they do not EARN IT. MLB.COM is in the pockets of the NYC Press.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

the matchups are literally exactly the same in this bracket