1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now NBA Central and Bleacher support is an authority?

Why is Keldon Johnson so high on that list when the numbers are very similar?

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now we are using random takes to paint anybody that's pro KPJ as delusional?

This is about as bad as comparing KPJ to Lamelo to make what somebody said on Twitter the basis of an argument.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Clutch is right. You guys are unbearable. Even worse than that you post red rowdy takes to support the quitter

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure what numbers you are looking at, but they are very different players with very different stats. Keldon Johnson is a more efficient scorer, longer history as a 3-point shooter, and was a better scorer last season. KPJ has a ton more assists, a ton more turnovers, and was a better defender last season. Most holistics stats (e.g., RAPTOR, VORP, WS) tend to favor Keldon Johnson as KPJ gets dinged heavily for turnovers and scoring inefficiency.

theDude likes this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Most people can't look past stuff like PPG and APG, not everyone is a believer in advanced stats and all that

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Keldon Johnson was not that more efficient and KPJ was aasked to do much more on a worse team with a much worse coach.

What does longer history have to do with anything when comparing last year's numbers.

He shot 5 percent better overall, and that's supposed to be some huge leap?

I would hope those stats favor Keldon he played with better players with a better coach, and he has played more gameI

I am not even saying KPJ is better but their stats are very comparable and apparently this guy is the real deal right?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What happens if he blows up scoring wise to 22-25ppg but his assists stay the same? Do we want a ball dominant PG?

DD

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Still aren't paying him. I'm Not a Fertitta fan but he's right. Again, normal people who are wrong are again wrong

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Depends on his efficiency. If it improves a lot then ya he’s definitely worth paying/keeping. If it’s the same as last 3 years or barely improves, probably either let him walk or try to keep him as a bench guy

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My thinking is that maybe if we have 2 SG/PGs that average 22+PPG and each get 6+ assists that makes up the PG play in the aggragate?

DD

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Absolutely it does, you don’t need a pure pg. but the ppg isn’t relevant, it’s the efficiency that’s relevant. If kpj averages 25 but his TS is as horrific as his previous 3 seasons, he’s worthless. Look past the ppg

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The final number of every player will change almost every day for several reasons.
    https://hoopshype.com/lists/how-hoopshypes-real-value-works/

Basically, they released the metric on Aug. 16, I wrote a story to help promote it at that time, since HoopsHype is our sister publication. Unfortunately, I have no control over whatever subsequent changes they make from that point forward.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

See above tweet. The data in that article was 100% accurate at the time of that story. Because it's not my rating system, I have no control over whatever HoopsHype does from that point forward. In fairness to them, they did indicate that the numbers could change.

(apologies for delayed response, was on vacation)

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yep. Some Westbrook fans used to love to point to his high PPG as a positive when discussing him as an offensive player and what they refused to understand was that his high scoring was actually a negative when efficiency was considered.

My opinion, KPJs playmaking ability isn’t the concern. If the plan is for him to continue to be one of our highest volume shooters he HAS to become more efficient.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Keldon Johnson averaged 17 points a game on TS 57.4%.

KPJ averaged 15.6 points a game on, TS 53.1%.

4-5% is the difference between bad efficiency to average efficiency (TS 50% to TS 55%), and average efficiency to elite efficiency (TS 55% to TS 60%). Not to mention, Keldon Johnson also scored more than KPJ.

To say they are comparable is like saying Tyler Herro is comparable to Steph Curry in scoring efficiency, they have a slightly smaller TS% gap than KPJ to Johnson. (4% instead of 4.3%).

AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There have been several people who have made similar predictions of KPJ "blowing up" throwing around similar numbers .... What I want to know is what gives you any idea that KPJ can suddenly become that efficient volume scorer on a consistent basis.

Sure, he's had great single games and played well over a 7 game span .... for a team that didn't win any of those games.

Then we factor in his poor shooting overall - exclude the 55/114 from three on catch and shoot and he shot .334 on all other 3 point shots.

He's been poor in isolation and poor in pick and roll (I'll give him a pass on the pick and roll for now) and abysmal in finishing around the rim ....

His best assist option plays for the Mavericks now .... complain about his defense all you want, he was a solid offensive contributor - even if selfish. None of these rookies will replace his gravity on the offensive end which will make life more difficult for KPJ.
    He's going to play a lot of minutes with 3 guys who shot well below average last season in Tate .312, Sengun .248 & Green who got hot late to finish .343.
    The team around him got considerably younger and very likely worse overall, even when adding the talent that is Jabari & Tari ....

But you tell me you expect him to "blow up" .... what equates to 30% more scoring?! When everything points in the opposite direction.

Based on what? Because DD wants it to happen?

.... I need some something, anything that points to his having a break out year, some statistic or historical fact, team or individual that gives us any inkling that Porter is going to suddenly become something more than a very inconsistent player on the league's worst team.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thanks for the response - I enjoy your content and wish you continued success!

D-rock likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/basket...ntage-reveals-players-paul-george-luka-doncic

KPJ "horrific" TS% over the last 3 years: .535 - .528 - .531

For grins and giggles I wanted to see who else in the league was "horrific" and which way the goalposts would move! I see hope and promise amidst the gloom and doom.

DeJounte Murray .533
    Jordan Clarkson .532
    Bradley Beal .539 (I know "limited sample size")
    Jaren Jackson Jr .535

I guess we could even start to include assists and subsequent contract details for comparison, but what would you come up with? Everyone scrambles back to the "he's a loose wire and its only a matter of time before he does something stupid" argument! :D:D:D

ApacheWarrior, D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who made this rule?

Sounds like you are making the rule to fit your narrative.

Going by those numbers Herro was comparable to Curry in scoring efficiency they were only .3% apart.

So why are you not talking about Johnson playing with better players and a better coach, you sure are cherry-picking your parameters.

So this is only about TS?

How about all the other things KPJ does better than Johnson? Does that not make him or more impactful better player?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Well?

@flamingdts

@astrosrule

@Joe Joe

I guess you can get paid and be "inefficient"?