1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TE and future first rounder for barry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buiyahkah, Jul 2, 2004.

1. tuan209

tuan209 Member

i got better offer... Mo, TE, 2006 2nd round pick = barry, potapenko! what u guys think? fair deal? we get what we want... they get compensation for barry and get rid of potapenko (which we could use to back up yao and an extra banger)

2. Porsche576

Porsche576 Member

I say for for Barry, we still got Lue as a servicable PG.

3. tuan209

tuan209 Member

and then we use our MLE on a pg (fisher/hudson/arroyo)

2004/05 rockets

(fisher/hudson/arroyo), lue, gaines
    barry, JJ, pike
    Tmac, boki
    Howard, spoon
    Yao, potapenko

this is our team!!!! do it CD!!!

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Not that far off, but the 3rd year salary would actually be 8.28M. The raise is fixed at a flat 10% of the first year of the contract. So, it would be a raise of $690K/year.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

With a three year deal, wouldn't Barry's contract expire the same year as MoT's? I don't see what the problem is; who would you rather spend that money on? It's not like we're going to be under the cap anytime soon, and I don't see us getting into a bidding war for any top tier free agents with Yao and T-Mac in town.

Come on guys... This is the reason we dealt for the trade exception in the first place!!

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We don't have to offer the whole exception. The deal (giving Seattle a #1) could start at $6M. That's just under $20 for 3 years, with a 10% raise.

7. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

The Rox should go for it....who care about the 1st rounder...they're late anyway and rookies are usually inexperience and need more years under their belt to get it going...so i will go for Brent Barry cuz he's a top caliber player and shoot way better than Fisher. Imagine Fisher, Barry and McGrady on the court at the same time....OMG....now DOUBLE YAO you suckah and watch them drain those 3s!!!!!

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'd gladly take Barry starting at $6.9 million... if Seattle somehow takes MoT off our hands. If not... NO SOUP FOR YOU!

9. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Why not take the 1st rounder back? Sonics will do it just for the TE, I think, if it means they have till next summer to use it.

10. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Didn't we use a TE and Roy Rogers to get S. Pippen? Why give a 1st rounder ... why not something much much lower, like Gaines or Wilks?

11. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

This sounds like a good deal to me. Who cares how much money the guy makes if we're over the cap anyway. As long as its for 3 years, i say pay him whatever it takes. First rounders are nice, but BB will seriously help our team. He has the sweetest stroke in the league and it seems like he doesn't miss. Also, we'll still have the MLE to fill other holes. I say pull the trigger.

12. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Why cannot we go through Jazz to get Barry? They have trouble spending their money. They won't ask for the pick and maybe they are willing to take MoT from us too.

Yes, CD, call Jazz and ask them if they want to pick up MoT or Spoon!

13. drpepper

drpepper Member

the seattle boards are saying this rumor is NOT TRUE. the radio stations in seattle are reporting Houston has offered the FULL MLE for 4 years to Barry in hopes Seattle doesn't want to commit that long to a 33 year old PG. Especially if their not expected to make the playoffs.

14. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

wouldn't the MLE work out less then the Sonics have already put on the table?

15. drpepper

drpepper Member

I think they offered 3 years at 18 mill.

we are offering 4 years(what he prefers) at twenty something.

16. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

I thaught Barry was a free Agent? At 32 years of age I cant see him being arround and effective when YaoMc are at their peak in about three or four years, it sounds likea lot of money to pay a player that will only be effective for two or three seasons.

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

uh, ok...but what does that have to do with my post? All I was doing is correcting the way the 10% raise was calculated. I wasn't commenting at all on whether a deal was doable or not.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

4 years at full MLE each year...my goodness...i hope that the rox uses their TE on some bigs at the 4 and 5 then

19. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

plz let this not happen 6.9 starting contract for someone that is geting old, sure hes good but iam not willing to give that much for him. and then the first rounder.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry aelliott, you took my post the wrong way. I was "thinking out loud", not trying to tell you how we could spend our TE, lol! You're the person we ask about these sorts of things, not someone who's "told" how we could do it. :)