1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Angels are in a tough spot. Trout and Ohtani are too good to trade. Rendon is too expensive to trade. They should have been spending out the ass (on starting pitching) for the last 5 years. But if they did trade Ohtani to Houston I think this would be fair:

Astros get:
    OF/SP Shohei Ohtani

Angels get:
    SP Cristian Javier
    SP Luis Garcia
    SP Hunter Brown
    OF/IF Pedro Leon
    2B/3B Enmanuel Valdez
    OF Chas McCormick

It would be a pretty dumb deal for both sides but I think that would be a fair trade.

marks0223 likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They would laugh. Though, betting on one season as an outside shot for the 3rd wild card does not seem like the smart play.

3. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

If you trade Ohtani, you need multiple blue chip young guys going back. They wouldn't accept a mish mash of our ok guys.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Agreed.

I think

Framber
    Javier
    Tucker
    H.Brown
    Leon

Would be minimum to make them consider.

Baseballtradevalues.com is useless as they actually have Ohtani's value at $109.4M and Tucker's at $136.4M

I love Tucker but can't imagine him more valuable than Ohtani.

Ariza4MVP likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Tucker is a stud with 3.5 more years of team control. He is certainly more valuable than Ohtani.

Framber is basically as valuable a pitcher as Ohtani, and also has 3.5 years of team control, so they're probably close in value.

This isn't the NBA, you aren't trading for bird rights to a player you build a champion around.

The Beard likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Maybe "value" was not the correct word.

But to the Angels Ohtani has extremely high value.

People come to the park to see him.

He is one of the few who impact the team's finances well above his salary vs on field perfirmance.

This makes it ridiculous for them to trade him for Tucker.

I don't know how to see it, but I would bet that the Angels show a bigger profit with

Ohtani @$50M

than Tucker, Framber, Javier, and any number of prospects @$20M

And isn't it all about $$$$

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’d do it in one second. Could we afford Ohtani and re-sign Tucker? If not, then I’m out.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That’s ridiculous. Framber is better pitcher and Tucker is close as a hitter plus team control

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You know what really makes money...winning.

The Angels are a s**t organization so they might see it your way, but if they made that trade they would project to win far, far more games over the next 4 years, and we would project to win far less.

BigMaloe, The Beard, BlindHog and 2 others like this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with you but I don't think that's how billionaire owners think.

Fly on the wall

Employee "Sir, if we make this trade we win the World Series"

Owner: "How much will we profit?"

Employee: " 100 million dollars."

Owner "what if we keep Ohtani?"

Employee " well, we don't make the playoffs the press and fans will complain and make fun of us and we will profit $150 million because of all the people wanting to see Ohtani and buying his gear."

Owner: : "Well no way in hell we are making that deal. And when we lose fire the GM for not building a winning team."

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

According to whether they win or not. No way I do this trade if I’m the Astros and no way Crane does it. Snake’s trade would make both teams better in my opinion, if you take injury out of the equation, Ohtani takes Javier’s position in the starting rotation. Solves next year’s problem at 1b, because Ohtani can Dh. With Ohtani we would have the best batting order in the history of MLB as long as you can hold onto both him and Tucker. If you can’t sign both then it’s a no from me.

Altuve 2b
    Pena SS
    Alvarez Lf
    Bregman 3b
    Ohtani dh
    Tucker Rf
    Meyers CF
    Gurriel (Diaz-rookie) 1b
    Machete, Lee, Diaz c

#1631 Hemingway, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Angels attendance is down. Dodgers are really good. Most of the money Ohtani makes the Angels comes out of the money Trout was making them. I don't think Angels are making much money at the moment.

Ohtani is likely headed for $30M+ arbitration win. Betts got $27M for 1 MVP. Ohtani has 1 already, and if he doesn't win a second, it will be close. Lord help Arte Moreno's wallet if Ohtani pulls down the MVP and Cy Young this year.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I should say, I really hope the Angels don't trade Ohtani or Trout. Astros are already further along on the post-Pena rebuild and those 2 are basically the only way besides luck for the Angels to jump start a rebuild.

Nook likes this.
  14. Qan

Qan Member

Angels going to resign Ohtani for sure...or he leaves himself. Doubt they try to trade him.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Winning trumps one player where money is concerned. Astros are doing it right, Angels are not. 3 starting pictures, 2 of which (Javier, Brown) that have tor potential is a tremendous return. Angels should do it, Astros only if he will re-sign and they can afford Tucker as well. It would be way against the Astros’ philosophy, but Ohtani may be the greatest all around player since Ruth.

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Ill say this theres rumors Andrew Benintendi's value is lower due to his Un vaccination.

I would trade for him and try to talk him in to a vaccination

17. Qan

Qan Member

Or trade for him and let the man play.

Tuckmose likes this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think that was player for player what I suggested would be fair value except you added Valdez and I didn’t have him in there. If it were the NBA and the best team almost always wins a best of 7 I would do that, bc the likelihood that the Astros would be the odds on favorite both years would be near 100%. But baseball is too random in the post season so I’d have to pass as an Astros fan. I’m sure the Angels would pass because they are dipshits.

#1638 Wulaw Horn, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the update that Chandler Rome gave regarding Brantley, Andrew Benintendi should be a priority.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

As I said I would Trade for him with out a doubt.
    Try and work a good deal to keep him for atleast 4 years
    And have money freed up once Brantley s contract is over at the end of the year

H ema not have power like you want but he does have what you want in a lead off or #2 hitter

Phillyrocket and raining threes like this.