1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets pursue Donovan Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 14, 2022.

?

Should Stone look to trade for Donovan Mitchell?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2022.
  1. Yes

7.7%
  2. No

92.3%
  1. Denovo

Denovo Member

Doesn’t make sense. Why would we want Midget Mitchell with Jalen Green already here?

ajc123, Invisible Fan and Believe It! like this.
  2. txtodd

txtodd Member

Thank you for not trading four 1st rounders, a pick swap, five players and a newborn baby for Donovan Mitchell, Stone.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If the price were EG, Nwaba, other filler, yes, but since they will want picks or young stars, it's not realistic.

ajc123 likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What's the point of us trying to build a championship team with a player that failed to carry that the jazz?

Jazz willing to tank and r open to get rid of him speaks volume

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Thought about this but I’d say no. You would need to do something like KPJ, Gordon, and KMJ plus 2023 FRP and most or all of the Brooklyn picks. Green and Smith are total non starters. Like all of these star trades it’s all about the picks.

Donovan is only 25, 36% from 3, not worried about who is PG and SG both he and Green are combo guards. Not entirely sure but I think you’d still have max cap space in 2023. If you added say Wiggins and let this group grow and GS finally gets old:

Mitchell/TyTy
    Green/Jaygup
    Wiggins/Eason
    Smith/Tate
    Sengun/Garuba

If injury free and Green and Smith reach their potential that’s a championship roster. Mitchell is not a top 5 guy. So much depends on if Green becomes that player. If he does then cashing in the Brooklyn picks on a second or third star makes sense.

It’s easy to say no to Mitchell now but who knows what disgruntled star will be available in another year or two. Might not be as good. Donovan next to a top 5 player is fine as second or third banana.

Personally I’d rather go slower and tank one more year and be more sure of what we have in house.

Next offseason is when you cash in the cap space and maybe the Brooklyn picks.

theDude likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Let's take this rebuild slow. I'm kind of enjoying the low expectations and just seeing how these guys develop.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

i echo all the brehs here. hell yuss we should pursue mitchell. breh is a winner

Killatron 2000 and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's better than a lot of the Rockets. The Rockets should pursue as part of due diligence, but I expect other teams will pay a lot more than the Rockets are willing. If the Rockets do find an acceptable package for Utah, I'd expect the Rockets would then look for a third team that would want him for someone that fits better.

#28 Joe Joe, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, he's a Robin definitely and we are not even sure if we have a Batman.

Green hasn't proved **** yet. Nor has any of our other prospects. When one of them proves they are a true franchise player then we can really start building around him.

10. kkthksbai

kkthksbai Member

I'm ok with it as long as he wants to come off the bench. :cool:

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No. Mitchell is a very good player but I still have hopes that Green can eventually become a top 20 player as well. Stay the course and don't rush/shortcut the rebuild.

Mitchell would certainly make us better in the short term but we would still be many pieces away, doesn't make sense to acquire him and waste some of his prime trying to complete/develop the team around him.

12. opticon

opticon Member

Too small and no defense. Hard pass.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  13. thekad

thekad Member

If the Rockets were .500 at the trade deadline behind the play of what looks like “top 10 player” potential of Jalen Green, I’d consider it.

Otherwise, the Rockets need to continue rolling the dice in the draft for that franchise guy.

14. Bmsuperfly

Bmsuperfly Member

Year too early to go hunting for outside players to help. Also Green/Mitchell play the same role. Would take Green for 2 way upside.

ajc123, jim1961 and Zen Tabak like this.
  15. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I am always for getting players, but I just don't see us with the same urgency to give up as many assets as the Knicks would be willing to. I would draw the line at 4 firsts and a young player. I think Knicks would have no problem exceeding that.

theDude likes this.
  16. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Even if Mitchell fit the timeline (he doesn't) or would raise the championship ceiling (he doesn't), having Ainge on the other end of that deal is a hard pass. He's going to extract something more than he got for Gobert, which was an insane overpay.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Mitchell, but there is no fit for him here. Makes no sense, so no.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We already have a younger, potentially better and more well rounded version of Donovan Mitchell.

Gobert has cleaned up for his lazy ass a ton. Dude is a supporting scorer on a real contender.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Never pay Lamborghini prices for a Corvette.