1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Hopefully Jabari liked this nice name because this one is kinda great.

2. Landry's Tooth

Nobody knows if he can dribble the ball in the nba. Sometimes you are going by expectations...

It has everything to do with a player being perfect. He defends, rebounds, and shoots.... he's not taking guys off the dribble or a playmaker.

2 flaws? Most of those guys I mentioned have multiple flaws.

There's greater reason to whine about Booker's defense because he's been in the league.

You're be selective in your criticism...

Btw, Durant as a rookie:
    43% fg%
    28% 3pt
    4.4 rebounds
    2.4 assists
    .9 blocks
    1.0 steals

Can Jabari do that next season at the same age? Probably... let's see how he develops... it's all unknown at this point...

3. Landry's Tooth

Fair point on Draymond's playmaking. Also fair point that if the league officiated the rules on him he's playing 20 minutes a night at the most...

Jabari's not a dirty player.

Was referring to being a better than 31% shooter and guarding 5 spots without relying on being allowed 14 fouls per game...

But definitely not a skill Jabari has shown... or Draymond for that matter until age 25...

We'll see what Jabari is 6 years from now...

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah we do know if he can dribble in the NBA, do you think he is just waiting to break out his bag?

I have no idea what Durant's rookie stats have to do with anything are they anywhere near the same type of player?

What does it matter if he has the same stats next year what does that prove?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Again you don't know if he can guard 5 spots at the level of Draymond and you keep ignoring everything else he does for that team.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Have to roll with jiggy here @Landry's Tooth

SL does NOT EQUAL regular NBA. But to the extent Mobley "struggled" he didn't suddenly become KD lite in the regular seasons. He still played his game, just benefitted from the roster around him and likely that its just harder for bigs like Mobley/Jabari, etc. to shine in summer league.

Paolo is a different kind of big. Chet is somewhat of a hybrid - he's shined, and "struggled". Point being, he's not going to suddenly become KD-like with a handle. LMA-esque comps make way more sense to me and guess what, LMA rookie year wasn't that good. 9 and 5, not a 3 point shooter, etc. Jabari for sure will be (way) better than LMA rookie year, offensively.

As i said pages ago, the Jabari upside case is being a Draymond-esque generational defender, which he definitely has in him. No guarantee, but that's immensely more likely to happen, imo, then him developing a bag... and that's saying a lot because Draymond is a generational defender. Then add legit shooting and a "few" moves.

burlesk, Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Draymond's defense is just as much about IQ as physical ability he is a genius defensively, I have no idea if Smith has that type of IQ.

That's why I am tapping the breaks on the Draymond comps.

It's far different from being able to guard 1 to 5 competently than being Draymond and we don't know if can even guard NBA level talent 1 through 5.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, but there's literally nothing you can say for sure about any prospect at this point int heir careers.

All i feel comfortable saying is that Jabari seems as able to guard on the perimeter as the interior and seems to have a VERY high defensive IQ... while at the same time saying his bag is pretty limited.

So much more likely a Draymond-esque defensive player than a KD-esque offensive player.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Comp is just a comp. Some of y'all are taking it too literal

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Both Banchero and Cade will be top 10 players some day in this league barring major injuries. Too bad we weren't able to draft either of them.

I just don't see the same upside in Green and Jabari not saying they're going to be busts. They just will never be MVP level players imo.

11. maj21

maj21 Member

Give me Green, KPJ, Jabari, Tari, and Sengun over what those 2 teams have. I’m happy with this team. Not jealous of what any of the others have. Let’s go!!

12. Landry's Tooth

You really need this explained?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

Again, can he dribble?

Draymond wasn't a plus player until 25 so we'll find out in 6 years...

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

I have little respect for a guy who's in the league solely at the graces of the officials...

15. Landry's Tooth

KD is an example of how a guy can be not great as a 19 year old rookie and develop skills... Durant was a Westbrook like shooter as a rookie, he's elite now historically. Can Jabari develop handles like Durant's shooting and passing?

Sure he could... he might not, but it's not a reason to criticize until he doesn't...

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Cool. "The Lock Smith" is waaay better than "Agent Smith". Hopefully he can live up to that name.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm fine if he works his butt off for the next 3 years and beyond.

18. VoR

VoR Member

Man, watch the ****ing highlights. He's a stud.

burlesk likes this.
  19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I know he wasn't consensus top 3, but wanted Murray. He was really good in college. His SL is good too.

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I liked what I saw. He was pressing a bit on offense, but I know that vibe. He’s a team guy and we won’t see his full value on offense until he really understands the offense. He was over thinking a lot, too.

On the other hand, I love his defense and the way he looks like he really understands the game. Pair that with elite shooting and I’m very bullish on this kid.

Drift Monkey and burlesk like this.