1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets - Vegas Summer League 7/9/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It just seems odd given how much he apparently impressed as a PG for there to be nothing really to point to that would support that. He took more shots than he had points and he picked up basically no assists. What specifically did he do that so impressed as a PG?

2. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ok now we can talk.

Pg play is more able getting team into sets and understanding "down n distance" to use a football term. It was clear tyty was the only guard that showed pg iq like:
    On giving Jabar the ball he cleared out to give Jabari space to operate. Something that would seem simple to do but nix jaygup does not understand. That's just 1 example. I could care less about points n assist. In looking even at things you go after you give up the ball. Trust me he better then all these guys at actual point guard play n responsibilities

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

I did not see anything special from him, considering his frame I would not have drafted him at #2..... He is going to get punished possibly his entire career, these are some of the strongest, fastest and skilled athletes in the world he will be playing against.

4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I tell people this all the time about Jabari. He the only one of the big 3 of this draft that can not get played of a nba court in the playoffs. In a mean from day 1 too. We got the best prospect people. This is the mobley of this draft but he also gonna be a guy that can nail 8 threes in a game

D-rock likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So he did a good job of not having the ball and staying away from others so they could run the offense.

Fair enough. However, some view the PG as someone who creates for others and that's why PG's typically rack up decent assist numbers and have more points than shot attempts... though traditional PG's don't typically score all that much themselves.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

For someone who didn’t want Chet at all, I’d have to say I was impressed in certain areas. Specifically his rim protection. What I did notice, as one of the commentators mentioned, when you attack his body, his shot blocking ability gets taken away.

While guarding him, if you are physical, you will take him out of the game. This happened with Tari, Jabari & Lofton Jr.

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

While defensively he does look good sometimes and I truly mean sometimes... He looks limited on way too many aspects, he got stripped several times trying to drive... He does not look particularly fast or fluid like Sengun with his handles. He may be a good shooter but that frame and weight will come in play when defenses start playing physically. He is promising, extremely interesting player.... As a #2 thou, I don't know.... I'd be concerned, it has nothing to do with his stats in the summer league. It has more to do with who he will face in The NBA and how strong can he actually get...

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

haven’t seen that part of Green’s game yet. Seem like a pure scoring guard. Not saying he can’t develop into a facilitator, but he feels very far away from that to me. Sengun I agree.

9. hakeemthagreat

Sengun played crappy for a very long stretch and his onlyfans said "he's only 19, give him time!!!". Now those same ppl are claiming we made the wrong pick on Jabari after 2 summer league games. Make it make sense

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

JayGup giving Chet some freebie blocks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1631 tehG l i d e, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, Green is more a pure scorer than a creator. But I think Green is going to create for his teammate not by nifty passing but by gravity. He'll be kind of like Curry (in different ways) in that his mere presence on the floor warps the defense and create space for the other guys.

mike2k132 and Aruba77 like this.
  13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Jabari doesn't have greatness in his offensive potential anymore than Paolo can be a great dfensive player. All Paolo has to be is good, not great like Steph or Joker.

D-rock likes this.
  14. leebigez

He's not that athletic

15. leebigez

Rim protection is not overrated. Chet challenging at the rim was pretty good in a span of minutes. Jabari is a good positional defender. His shot is going to be an issue because he can;t create space and in the nba, thats going to be a problem. He's not going to get the rim either. He's going to be a 3 and d guy.

16. leebigez

JJ Reddick had a silky smooth stroke, but he had to get plays designed or off the kick because he could create space to get that shot off. I'm not comparing him to JJ, i'm saying in the nba where everyone is next level and has strebgth and size, your dribble is what seperated you from top shelf to a spot shooter. If nobody fears your rim game, thats another problem too.

17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

That was just 1 anecdote, but a key one to give you clues what a player iq is. Obviously I'm making predictions a guy that hasn't watched as much basketball as me wouldn't. Be I can tell you it's a hood sign. As more tape n the more tyty plays its will be clear. Btw I'm not trying to replace kpj btw. My confidence in jalen jaguars all these other gaurd more leeway simple because jf jalen the star I think he will be nothing else matters anyways

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I say flashes, it just want be obvious until he gets his handles better, his stated offseason goals. Jalen also said he was working on pnr reads too. I love jalen lol. He the main reason I wanted Jabari. Jalen at the end of the season was drawing help on his drives. Jabari gravity gonna have Jalen getting 25 a night. No one gonna leave Jabari. I'm just so excite we got Jabari.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Bingo you a smart guy. His driving creates gravity. By the end of the season when it clicked for jalen all he had ro do is hesi and go. All 5 defenders would turn thier heads toward the rim. That's gravity. Give him shooters(Jabari) n it's over for the league

Easy likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fine, I was just genuinely curious as to some of the more glowing praise. Overall I think he did fine but I didn't see some amazing PG, I saw someone who may develop into a solid backup one day then who knows, but I think Nix's 3 point shooting allows him to keep the job and puts Titty in the G league this year