1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daishen Nix Hype Train

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

damn, was hoping he would have been more effective offensively, maybe he can bounce back

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The problem for Nix moreso than Ty Ty or Hudgens is that Nix is more of a true pass first PG, and the Rockets don't RUN any sets, they don't have any plays or movement off the ball they are 100% predicated on driving and hoping the defense collapses - it is really hard to show playmaking with everyone standing at the 3pt line.

It is set up for score first pass 2nd players......

What I saw last night was a mess, it was less movement on offense than our 50+ year old game at the YMCA - it literally was like watching paint dry for me.....looked like all stupid ball.....no BBall IQ.....

I hated it.

DD

glynch and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Nix was fat and out of shape. For a guy who's fighting to get a spot in the league that doesn't look promising.

Also, I'm sick of players who can't hit free throws. Pass.

Imanimal, Yung-T, Fulgore and 3 others like this.
  4. DaDakota

1. He is not fat - and is in shape, his body type is Kyle Lowry type...will never be lean.

2. Totally valid.....

DD

Corrosion likes this.
  5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Just cut this bum. He's not an NBA player

6. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Apparently so lol. It looked like a game being played at the YMCA

xiki likes this.
  7. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

shut the F up. Nix is fat and slow AF… his sorry ass needs to be cut first

8. marinara

marinara Member

he may have a similar body size to lowry but dude didn’t look in good shape at all.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

That's the point gaurds responsibility. You are actually making the case against Nix

Unless if you think the Rockets literally throw the ball out on the court and say "go" without any single play.

Even if that were the case, a real PG would direct some traffic and run some pick and pop with the best shooter on the floor and 3rd pick overall. He would navigate traffic to get players to overload one side of the court to get the ball to Smith on the elbow. Every single NBA player understands what it means when you're in a 5 out, you're in the corner, and a PG looks at you and points to the other side of the court. You run from one corner to the next to overload the court, freeing one side

If I were Nix trying to make the Rockets roster I would think "how can I make Smiths first summer league game easier, then everyone else's". Seems like an over simplification but I bet that would've caught the coaches eye more than trying to beat his man on an iso.

The loose style also has to do with the fact that it's the first summer league game and a lot of these guys are trying to make a roster - either here or somewhere else. They haven't played with each other game after game. It's a game of survival for most of these guys.

As for during the season, no doubt our offense was basic. But, there has to be a weight factor on the fact that most the players are 19 or 20 and trying to find their place in the league. Sure it's not the only factor, but it matters.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. DaDakota

No doubt, then set expectations and coach em up give them some avenues for success to showcase their abilities.

DD

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Why are you responding like a total dick when DD wasn't aggressive or impolite?

12. DaDakota

He is a troll I don't even see his posts, he has nothing to offer the board in basketball talk - not worth the time responding to trolls.

DD

Rockets4Life13 and Yung-T like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My problem is the other teams in the SL seem to much more organized. I think a lot of it was Josh Christopher hogging the ball like he did last summer. Good coaching would have yanked him and/or Nix, corrected the behavior and put them back in. We are just rolling the ball out which is what we did for most of last year. I know we are super young, but most of these guys played in college systems that were better thought out than the sh*t show Silas and company are rolling out. With a team as young as this one, we can still un-intentionally intentionally tank and still show a semblance of team work. He’s promised to extend the playbook and concentrate on defense this year. If we don’t see some progress in pre-season then we should pull the plug on this guy.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I saw Nix playing more off guard than point guard. I don’t think this was the plan but rather everyone deferring to our being iso’d out by Jaygup. Christopher was an abomination last night and if I’m the coaching staff I either mothball him for the rest of the SL or I tell him he needs to have 4 assists for every shot attempts he takes. He is frustrating to watch. A whole lot of talent but extremely selfish or just oblivious to winning ball.

15. DaDakota

Clean up his FTs and he had a pretty decent game.

DD

Corrosion and glynch like this.
  16. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I have no idea if Nix is overweight or it's just his body type and I also can't tell if he is out of shape or not. He did have a nice put back slam that I didn't know he was capable of.

The problem with him is he can't make his free throws. He is a bowling ball driving to the basket and will draw a lot of fouls but it doesn't matter if he can't make the freebies.

He is really young and showed a lot of growth and promise in the G-league last year. Let's see if he can build on that this year.

Corrosion, FrontRunner and DaDakota like this.
  17. DaDakota

This is 100% reasonable criticism.

DD

charlieaustin likes this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I mean, it is (some concept of) basketball. So, that is cool.

19. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Don’t agree with #1….absolutely agree with #2, especially point guards need to shoot 80%+, but our coaching staff doesn’t emphasize practicing free throws. KPJ should certainly shoot over 70% and is more than capable with proper coaching.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Once again our players have no respect for the non-disciplined coaching of Silas. Jgup bombed away at will when he was supposed to be working on passing to teammates like Smith. Guarantee 1000000% he wouldn’t get away with that under a coach like JVG or his a$& wouldn’t be seeing the court for the rest of SL!!!

DaDakota likes this.