1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There's no method to the madness

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jul 8, 2022.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I remember my first time watching summer league

Rashmon and mightybosstone like this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, this is all Capela has ever do e since he stepped onto an NBA court

#42 hlmbasketball, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

And yet they still ended up with comparable records. Systems are worthless when you don't have the players that can run it.

glimmertwins likes this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I get the concern but Summer League isn't the place to build your argument. Half the guys out there were just thrown together in the last week and Silas isn't coaching Summer League anyway and it's not even a game - it's an experiment where we can take young players and play what if scenarios with them - what if Josh Cristopher where a PG? What if we switched everything and studied who can/can't play switching schemes, etc. For example, last night the answer to whether Dashen Nix can be the bench playmaking PG we need on this team came back a resounding NO. Was it ugly to watch? Absolutely...but the lessons learned here turn into valuable data points when finalizing the roster when the season starts and you better believe Houston is still keeping an eye out for a more natural pure PG(aside from Ty Ty who is just super young).

Rashmon and MettaWorldPete like this.
  5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Silas is teaching his team how to tank. With that mind, great execution last night! Random observation... Ty Ty looks like the older version of Rick James.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Are you sure, I watched a highlight video of Chet blocking people for 2 minutes on Wednesday - looked pretty schemey to me!

Are you serious? I watched 5 minutes of randos in Pistons and Blazers uniforms tossing the ball around and it didn't look much different than whatever was going on in the game before.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JC was particularly disappointing.

MettaWorldPete and Pistol Pete like this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

10000% agree. Hard to run a "system" if you are playing 3-4 guys at a time who still are learning basics like how to set and read screens to properly create advantages with the defense. These aren't basic football routes - Silas is looking for players to be smart and read the situation as both a screener, a person receiving a screen, AND a person passing the ball. When you trot out three or more 21yr olds, the odds of at least one guy screwing that up are high and more than likely multiple guys are screwing that up. That's why he simplified the playbook and worked on basics last year...this year should be continued development and reaching deeper into those read systems he was using in Dallas with Luka.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yep, that's the bottom line.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Feels like we get one of these threads a couple of times a year - including the D'Antoni and McHale eras. What exactly would a "system" look like with a team full of 1st and 2nd year players? Rockets ran a bunch of sets and scripted plays last year some people just cant spot them.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Must have been last night

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wanna see Silas coach in the next game instead of laughing in the commentary booth! :mad:

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I thought everyone knew that a GOOD COACH doesn't fit players into a system but fit a system around his players.....I GUESS THAT'S WHY WE HAD THE WORST RECORD IN THE NBA BACK TO BACK YRS AND I GUESS THAT'S WHY SILAS WAS CRYING AT THE PODIUM.

I don't want for the Rockets to fail and I am against TANKING because I think it builds a losing mentality that is hard to break., i.e, Sac and Orl.

I just do not think Silas is the man for the job!

fattz and saleem like this.
  14. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I think Silas is good coach for this young team that is still in full rebuild mode.

Not so sure he's the one we need when we decide we want to win again.

However I am absolutely convinced this team will eventually need a true pass first PG to meet its full potential. Green & Smith will thrive with a real floor general type.

15. mightybosstone

It's Summer League. Wait until the season starts and the actual team is playing an NBA environment for this criticism. /thread

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Surely you can't be this stupid? We were the worst team because our best player for much of the season was CHRISTIAN WOOD who is at best the 3rd option on a GOOD TEAM. We were the worst team because we are trying to figure out which young player can do what instead of actually trying to win games. We were the worst team because we just started our rebuild.

Tanking doesn't build a losing mentality. That's just silly talk. Tanking is how you get great players when you are not either a city that players all really want to go to or already have established superstars. And really... your defense is Sacramento and Orlando? They are losers because they are some of the most mismanaged franchises in league history.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah this is how it looks. Only difference is we saw Green last summer and he was just so talented. I still have those games recorded. Goosebumps

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I understand what you are saying but I'm of the belief that the season starts during the Summer with a young team.

With an older team, you're more focused on individual players than a system

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

You’re allowed to believe anything you want. Kyrie believes the Earth is flat.

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not in for berating people during a discussion. I thought that's what this was. However, I guess that shows your mentality.

But back to the discussion, I thought the Rockets had better talent than ORL and SAC. I thought they were comparable to the Spurs and similar to teams of that elk. My point is tanking for a 14% chance at the 1st pick does not work!

You can build a very good team w/o tanking. Case and point, the Raptors. I thought Scottie Barnes was the best out of the rookie class from last yr and he was chosen 4th or 5th.