1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

We got 4 FRP from the 2020... I don't think Garuba is going to be given a long lease.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

Of the 60+ 2022 draftee who measured body fat. Tyty came in 7th highest overall, 2nd among guards at 12%.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?sort=BODY_FAT_PCT&dir=1

I don't see people bring that up as a concern. Once summer games start and players get active. Young men with high metabolism should burn lot of it off.

Dirk pinched Luka's belly fat, people thinks it's cute.

Let's judge Usman's game, see how he do.

DreamShook likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree, he looked physically over matched for the most part in the NBA ....

Having watched him play for Spain and quite a few Euro league reruns, I just didn't think he was an NBA athlete at draft time.

You watch in either Euro or Spain Vs XYZ and he's really not an explosive athlete at all. He was good positionally with solid defensive fundamentals .... but he wasn't beating those guys with pure athleticism. Why should we expect him to beat NBA athletes with athleticism? ....

I'm fairly doubtful that he sticks in the league, particularly so if he remains a 5.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

• When the Rockets opened up their practice to the media earlier this week, during the final minutes of an intrasquad scrimmage, second-year center Usman Garuba was not on the floor. He’s expected to be the team’s starting center in Vegas for summer league. Those who have watched him work out this offseason swear he’s looked and played better now than at any point during his injury-riddled rookie season. Even with that rave review, Garuba must show that his game can translate, not only to summer league but also to training camp and the regular season.

The level of basketball on display this month isn’t up to NBA snuff, but it’s still an opportune time to see how far he’s come along as a player. Between Vegas and playing for Spain internationally, Garuba will have a lot of games to hopefully catch up to the rest of his teammates. — Kelly Iko

5. VoR

VoR Member

None of which performed well.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Shaq, Barkley, Luka, and Jokic have proven that you can be a franchise player without being in top shape, but they are/were successful in spite of their excess fat and not because of it. Also, Garuba's game will focus primarily on the defensive end. While I have seen several successful offensive players that are out of shape, I have never seen an elite defender in poor shape.

glimmertwins and Dankstronaut like this.
  7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Him being hurt is becoming a issue...

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Obvs just doing Paolo a solid and not locking him up during his first NBA experience.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

These body fat numbers are all over the place. Some of these guys are walking around at apparently stage ready physique competitor levels. 4% 5%, I don’t think so.

12% body fat is lean. If that’s TYTy, fantastic. Garuba looks like he’s 20plus easy.

10. a time to chill

Usman Garuba focused on helping Rockets despite an early injury
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ouston-Rockets-NBA-Summer-League-17291101.php

Now he's out with an ankle injury, but he should play on Saturday.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…funny I thought the only way he would remain in the league is if he was a 5 because they are generally the slowest/least athletic on the court.

Mathloom and Corrosion like this.
  12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Man... it's like people learned jack **** from last season with Green. How about letting the kid get at least half a season of games worth under his belt before throwing their absolutely worthless opinions around. Jeez...

glynch likes this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

I wonder what Mario Ellie’s body fat percentage was.

payaso likes this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The interesting thing about Garuba is that he projected to be better way better than this by the advanced metrics with stats that tend to translate well from euro to US players and several respected scouts had him at the top of their defensive boards as well. Sometimes things don’t work out but to think he somehow made the analytics and scouts miss THAT bad on him seems crazy.

I agree that he hasn’t impressed yet, but I have enough faith in the system to know it’s never THAT wrong so maybe there was something legit happening last year that impacted his play and we should give him a little time in case last year was a strange anomaly.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

It's his pelvis.

txtodd and BigM like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

But the system is often "That Wrong".

Think about how many players bust in the top 5 much less in the 20's...

This is definitely not an exact science.

18. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Sounds like might be out for whole SL.. and so dwindles his chances for his NBA dream. Unfortunately, sometimes that's how it goes, you take chances with your picks and sometimes it just doesn't work out. For him and his career, he'll be alright. Once you had a chance in the NBA, you can go anywhere in the world to play and have a career

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope that upper photo is not real?

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Those are both his head shopped onto Harden, fortunately.

[​IMG]

txtodd, J.R. and AroundTheWorld like this.