1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Im assuming Gordon is going to finish his contract here, because he can put up allstar numbers at 33. lol

[​IMG]

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's going to take a lot more than one pick to ever acquire Maxey. Not happening.

Reeko likes this.
  3. Landry's Tooth

Hence Gordon being there too who they seem to covet...

I like Maxey, but it's one season...

It's a fair point that they may value him more...

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Eric Gordon and a pick for Maxey is incredibly delusional

c’mon…

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Cmon man. They aren’t trading you Maxey for old ass Eric Gordon and a pick. Maxey was their 2nd best player at the end of last year

D-rock, clos4life, TheJuice and 2 others like this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

Is Maxey as good when Harden is running the offense? Probably, but I'm not a Sixers front office guy.

I don't disagree he has tremendous value but it's based on one season...

What happens when the offer increases?

There's a price for everything...

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not to jump into your argument .... but

It's the perception that Tilman is cheap

There's good reason behind that - it's because of the cost cutting moves they made that crippled their ability to acquire or upgrade talent that eventually led to Harden demanding a trade ... starting with allowing Ariza to walk from a 65 win team with no viable replacement and no way to take on salary to solve the problem (this isn't about Ariza the player / talent but Ariza the contract and the effect of swapping it for a minimum salary slot).
    Morey ducked the tax time and again and used assets to do it .... trading Melton to ditch Ryno's contract which again reduced their ability to maneuver talent above the cap ....

The Rockets, regardless of owner have paid the tax twice in their history. In 2010 they were $760k over & in 2015 they were $4.5m over.

Here's an interesting article from Forbes on the subject - A Complete History Of NBA Luxury Tax Payments, 2001-2022 (forbes.com)

Honestly, I think Tilman came in with a know it all, I know a better way attitude that first year - he knew better, he's a billionaire afterall .... then reality hit him like a ton of bricks. His know it all attitude destroyed one of the best teams in league history.
    I really think he learned from that series of mistakes and since has done everything right in allowing Stone & Silas to tank it up and build a young roster that's got great potential ..... and paid John Wall $44,310,840 smackers not to play and then another $40,866,760 to go away setting the team up with a huge amount of cap space in 2023/24.

That 2023/24 offseason when he can spend big combined with the 2025/26 offseason when the rent comes due on Green, Sengun & Christopher (Garuba/ Nix) in the form of extensions ..... that's when we'll know what kind of owner Tilman Fertitta is.
    If they are all deserving of extensions, and he makes Stone choose among them instead of extending all of them .... like OKC did with Harden, he'll have shown us who he is.

That 2025/26 roster has the potential to be really good and quite pricey..... He'll show us then if he learned from the mistakes he made when he came in acting like Mr. Smartass ....

I have a suspicion that he might prove many of his doubters wrong ....

luckyman76, D-rock, clos4life and 5 others like this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Please stop. We finally got everyone to move on. There are several other threads where this kind of nonsense is relevant. Don't litter this one, which is supposed to be about Eric Gordon trades.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Delete post

10. Landry's Tooth

Please just stop.

1) Ariza has done nothing in the league since he left. He was one of our worst performers in the playoffs his final year. He would not have helped.

2) Melton was a second round scrub who the Suns also dumped. It freed up 10 million in payroll that they did spend on several veterans like Nene, Sefolosha, McLemore, Chandler, and Rivers.

TF has spent a higher % of the luxury tax figure in his 5 years than Les did his final 6 years. It's almost 10% more payroll.

My GOD can we stop whining about Ariza finally?

Here's what he's done since he left:
    FG%: 40.6%
    3pt: 34%
    44 games per season
    29 minutes per game

Here's his last playoffs with us (the entire postseason):
    Fg% 36
    3pt% 28.6
    8.76 points
    3.8 rebounds
    1.3 assists

So you wanted to give 40 million over 3 years for a player who missed half the games and shot league average?

We dodged a bullet and you're complaining it didn't hit you between the eyes...

But that's right, someone will trade us a superstar for 2-3 years of Ariza and some late first rounders....

Just drop it... there's a whole thread complaining about TF spending more than Les and being cheap doing it... leave it there...

megastahr and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

Sorry, i shouldn't have responded to another troll....

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Landry's Tooth

Has anyone heard what 3rd team would be involved if Gordon goes to Philly?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Maxey plays off the ball. He is trending to be a star. He's not getting traded to anyone short of a star player coming back in the deal.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really can't believe that's all you gathered out of the last post .... Ariza .... That was more about the mistakes Tilman made in dismantling a 65 win team and whether he learned from those mistakes.

But for those who don't comprehend the situation -

Again, it wasn't about Ariza the player. What Ariza the player did after that was totally irrelevant.

It was Ariza the bird rights that mattered, without that which allowed you to exceed the cap, you had no way of replacing his production because you didn't have any contracts for matching purposes to acquire comparable talent.

All you had was a bunch of rejects on minimum salaries and aggregating them was impossible during the season.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Also morey hates draft picks

16. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

this is correct

17. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Dallas :Centered around Bullock/Bertans to Philly. Tobias and Thybulle would go there from Philly, We would get Powell and filler and a pick.

18. Landry's Tooth

Sure, but it gives him more to trade...

The risk Morey has if Maxey takes a step back. I think better odds he doesn't but it depends on their internal evaluations.

19. Landry's Tooth

That's a good haul for Dallas in a win now move...

Not sure Philly willing to take Bertans money just to get Gordon...

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It funny but I just imagine Morey really doesn’t care much of anybody upside outside of stars. And he has his stats in a harden and Embidd. Look how many terrific youth with potential we’ve traded away during his tenure here. Melton, Covington, Morris. Not that these guys turned into great olayer but we traded them well before their peaks.

maxey is jsut an asset Morey, for the right price, he’ll trade him without blinking.