1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets add new assistant coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

If anyone wanted to know how Stone felt about the coaching style or weaknesses of Silas… it was answered.

The Rockets added three very hard nosed coaches that don’t fear conflict and don’t really care if you don’t like them.

Lionel Hollins is a true blue hard ass. There are no practices ending early or mental health days. He doesn’t back down from anyone. He was very good in Memphis and was good as an assistant in LA. He also was supposed to be the associate head coach with Silas when Morey tried to get Alexander to hire Silas over MDA.

There are a number of guys in the league that dislike Hollins. He will publicly call players out and not tolerate insubordination. I do worry a little because he isn’t huge on switching schemes defensively. Either way, he is a top coach.

Mike Batiste was an exceptionally accomplished player in Europe for a long time and learned a lot of the fame from that perspective. He has a background in player development and has at time had special “assignments” having difficult players taken under his wing. He played for one of the most demanding coaches in the world (Obradovich) and has said he wants to emulate him. He is a tough, no nonsense coach that has had an altercation with fans and is known to scream in practice.

Mo abdelfattah is one of the top young coaches in the sport. He is demanding, tough but also loved by his players. He is well versed in modern playing style and has good instincts.

The Rockets new assistants are all known as hardworking, holding players accountable and no nonsense.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this in general but I will just say the idea that in Europe they are taught fundamentals better than in the USA is really not true anymore. The kids in the USA now are micro managed and coached at an extremely high level now… these are no longer just kids playing hoops in the neighborhood and getting coaching for the first time in American high school… these kids are starting in camps at 5-7 years old, on travel snd AAU teams… getting access to elite coaching at an early level.

While there are some differences between Europe and USA, the old stereotype of American players being better athletes and Europeans having better fundamentals is largely gone.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah… Lucas and Weaver deserve most the credit. They both worked with Green every day and most of the video study was by Weaver. I did raise an eyebrow when Silas tried to take credit for it though at the end of the season.

4. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Yeah… this would be the likely response from the Rockets assistant coaches.

Lucas and Hollins can talk about old man **** and argue about who is the bigger *******.

jch1911, BigMaloe, BigM and 5 others like this.
  5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I'm super happy about these hires. Adults are now in the building. Strong structure is now in place. Tilman I did have fate but he did it. Let's go. 27 plus wins. I'm calling it

fattz, lionaire and hakeem94 like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

sounds like some pieces that can help build a culture...

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hollins is not the defensive visionary I wanted but he will at least hold players accountable to execute a system.

These 3 hires are a great indication of how FO viewed previous coaching staff (minus Lucas) as being on the soft side.

These 3 hires are bringing discipline, structure and accountability to team. There will be no more talk of of having no system or failing to implement anything more than basic plays.

OkayAyeReloaded, PWR, fattz and 7 others like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i am rooting for him but stil the worst GM in the game in my book...results on the floor speak for themselves... anyone can 'have' potential or 'show the promise'...i need to see something more then just losing a lot of games and making me think yuck when thinking of watching rockets play...at least i wanna see rockets play some actual basketball not just mindlessly chucking 3 pointers...

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

An Obradovich disciple?
    Ill take it!

btw thank you! one of the most informative posts recently

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Silas and kpj better step their game up. These coaches aren't here for play play.

fattz, AroundTheWorld and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

whenever young guys improve, the HC is always getting some credit…except when it comes to Silas

I didn’t hear “it was all the assistants” when it comes to Kenny Atkinson and player development. I don’t hear it when it comes to Nick Nurse. At this point, everything bad is due to Silas, and anything good he gets little to no credit.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stone should look in the mirror too…KPJr threw food and left the arena at halftime, and the org settled on a measly 1 game suspension exhibiting zero accountability under his watch

Wood too

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I thought it at the time, but even moreso now, I think the Rockets wanted that to blow over asap to not completely tank Woods trade value.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

These hirings fit what I think Tillman Fertitta is truly about as a business man.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

they should’ve put their foot down instead of giving them the equivalent of a 15 minute timeout

xtruroyaltyx and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well sure, there was never an incentive to throw too much of a tantrum about it like certain fans wanted.

It was a learning experience for KPJ and Wood was always on his way out.

Let KPJ learn from that incident and become better for it...... which is what seems to have happened, while not tanking Wood's trade value too much.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nook told you exactly who should or shouldn't get credit from an insider's perspective. Just appreciate the info and shut your dumb ass up.

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. Asian Sensation

Quit being dramatic. They were never doom and gloom. It’s been nothing but clear skies and sunny days since that worthless sac left.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

must be that time of the month huh Mrs Morris

20. Fantasma Negro

Very happy to have Hollins, literally wrote an email to the organization in 2016 begging them to bring him in. Not too familiar with the other two guys but if Silas can't get his **** together Hollins will be waiting in the wings