1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's being talked about on a spaces right now, but KMJr. averaged more mp than Sengun and Jaygup last year... both players with higher (Sengun) or as high (Jaygup) futures.

Afernee Simons averaged 17 mpg the year before this one, his 3rd in the league. DeJonte Murray averaged the same mpg his 2nd year as KMJr just did.

KMJr needs to be better.

luckyman76, rkh-dog, AXG and 8 others like this.
  2. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

It happens, I feel with all these draft picks over the years. KPJ is going to be the odd man out.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I like some of his traits, but I don't know that he is the solution.

I try to be fair to him and look at why the Rockets have issues.... and some of that is beyond his control.

4. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Nook is not as hard on Silas, Silas seems like a well liked guy and Nook even praised him on how he is handling things its not all on Silas

"Just ask yourself, how does an inexperienced head coach handle a team that is bad and has numerous guys with a bad attitude? Especially if he is restricted by the front office in who does and doesn't play?"

5. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Main thing we know of is him leaving at half time but Nook has said there is a lot of behind the scenes thing that goes on that the rockets have covered up.

JayZ750 likes this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

I can find fault in hos logic but ultimately he makes a lot of sense. At the small forward position you can't argue that there's a more talented player on the roster so he should be given the chance to lock that spot down. The roster is too full of redundancy and they have three first round picks, one of those picks is bound to be a small forward. I'm not sure what the issue is with KPJ but I've said it before, dude should be coming off the bench, he doesn't make anyone better and he's always looking for his shot, but it appears management and the coaching staff is scared of him or something.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Didn't he blow up at halftime and leave the arena?

slothy420, FLASH21 and Nook like this.
  8. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Porter's Talent is not the issue, It's Porter as the PERSON that is the issue with him.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh for sure, he wasn't the biggest instance of players getting unjustly buried on the depth chart by Silas and Stone, but I get why he would be the most upset by it given that he's older and he looks to be permanently buried on the depth chart on this team.

Sengun is looking to be the starter going forward and Christopher is close friends with Green which will keep him getting minutes IMO. Martin on the other hand.....well, with 1000 guards, he has no shot at ever logging minutes at his natural position of the 2 and the Rockets are actively trying to add more guys who can play the 3 in the draft to bury him further.

There's just not a future for him here unfortunately.

For a guy that needs to fight to stay in the league, he needs to be in a position where he can show what he can do. This just isn't it.

JayZ750 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets ownership did not like being portrayed as cheap or an impediment to the Rockets winning.

At the same time the new GM did not want to burn any bridges with other players or agents around the league.

Good PR doesn't cost the Rockets anything financially. While it isn't always entirely sincere I can see why the Rockets try to take the high road.

luckyman76, D-rock, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A trade will be best for him and the team. Attach him to the 17th and the 26th if possible to move up to 13. It's gonna be hard, I admit.

12. PWR

PWR Member

Silas is well liked because he is a pushover, especially with the vets. The big question is, is he respected? I honestly don't think he is. There is no way you have this many players throwing fits and having locker room issues if a coach truly has the respect of his players.

13. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I’ll just leave this here… stats as starters

TATE
    11.8 pts 5.5 rbs 2.9 assists-30.4% from 3
    MATHEWS
    9 pts 2.6 rbs 0.7 assists-38.7% from 3
    MARTIN
    18 pts 8.2 rbs 3.1 assists-42% from 3

then look at age 21/25/26. Who has the most upside?

I agree Tate would be valuable to contenders but we are wasting his talents here. Flip him for a 1st and start KMJ this year since we’re going to tank anyway. Let’s see what we have in our young players ffs

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

The entitled generation. Dude actually got on the court quite a bit. Not sure what he's complaining about other than maybe the coaching sucks.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If you considered being liked by your players as Respected then maybe.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm not buying this stuff. I don't believe any advanced defensive metrics on a team that is a total mess in terms of team defense. Bill Russell would have the worst advanced defensive metrics of his own career on this team. His comparison vs other defensive C's would decisively suffer. For 60% of the season Jalen Green and Christian Wood's man were easily penetrating our team defense and guys like KJ can not be expected to cover for that.

You are right that KJ is not as good as a PJ Tucker, making the correct decision millions of times over and over again despite the defense collapsing around him.

Andrew Wiggins's defense is the obvious example that comes to mind. KJ's not lazy at all on that end, always brings energy, always seems interested in improving there. It's a HUGE mistake to typecast his defense right now imo. he's exactly a guy who will never give up and make us regret it.

#136 Mathloom, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  17. Nook

Nook Member

This is a good post.

Just keep in mind that there is a real chance that at #17 the Rockets draft a SF or possibly a C.

If they end up with someone like Eason or maybe even Dieng or Terry; Martin is likely to see his minutes cut.

Hell it could happen even if the Rockets end up with Ty Ty Washington, because Porter could get minutes at the 3.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

19. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

How many Agents/Players have we burn bridges with?

20. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I see no reason to draft Ty Ty if we somehow end up with Pick 2 next year Scoot is PG number 1 and Ty ty will be a backup. and even then we have Nix who needs to get playing time to see what we have in him. there is just to many guards on this roster and not enough talent at the Forward spots

Milos likes this.