1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really, when his contract will still be on the books in this case. so those options wouldn't make sense

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more. I love that he loves Houston, and I think he would go to war for his teammates If that is what it came to.

That said, we can't accept any erratic behavior this year. He needs to grow up, now, or Nix/Josh are going to slide in there, or JG is going to slide over.

#1002 RudyTBag, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Drift Monkey, TheJuice and jcmoon like this.
  3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If kpj is not it there is scoot next year, but victor is the goal.

jcmoon likes this.
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It would have been just like Wall. The value we got for that was more playing time and chemistry building with the younger players. My point is that's a fringe trade benefit because it is possible to achieve that through other means.

But, of course it doesn't make sense to do that because you can get value for trading him. This trade was about the 26th pick.

We're extrapolating things out to make ourselves feel good about a mediocre trade. I'd give it a B-. We got something but I don't think anyone outside of Houston feels like we fleeced the Mavs.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's a bluff to avoid getting Smith.

theDude likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

except wall's options of being traded are extremely limited to a handful of players as hes on a super max. And handful is being generous. So they literally have no choice. His situation is nothing like wood

This trade wasn't about the 26th pick. It was about opening up full time minutes for the player coming in and allowing the other young players on the roster minutes. Again that's where addition by subtraction comes from.

You get back what you are in terms of value. Wood wasn't that valuable despite what his fan club around here says. We know in reality he isn't.

8. gogispade

gogispade Member

I really dont understand the logic of draft. Every year there is hype surrounding top young players but almost everytime that hype turns out to be false. Talking about whos the most NBA ready... last year that was Jalen Suggs. He didnt show nothing for the whole year?

I remember when Wiggins was declared to be the next face of the league 1year before he was even drafted but look at his years at Minny? Yes he is a champion now but we all know that ring belong to the GSW system lead by Steph.

I wont even talk about the Phila picks.. Nerlens Noel is the future star! No, wait its Jalil! Nah Simmons is next LeBron!

How do you seek out the gems like Tatum, Morant, Doncic etc.? What is the X factor GMs are lookong for in those kind of players?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

you mean drafts never go according to plan? I mean that should be obvious because that's the reality of a draft. it's a guessing game. Busts happen every single year and only a select few ever live up to what there "hype" is that a lot of these folks just read online about or see some random highlight video. There's more busts than players who become actual stars

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we’re one year away from having a ton of money off our cap. But I do wonder why we haven’t used our cap room to take back 2-yr contracts for addition assets. The free agent class in 2023 is bad and there’s not much out there this offseason (other than Tyus Jones).

I wouldn’t balk at taking back someone like Fournier’s last two years for $18 mil per if the compensation was right. I hope we are exploring deals like that.

11. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Draft bronny James and get lebron.

aaquaa, DaDakota and Jontro like this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

You can always hand out large 1 year contracts that overpay and kick the can down the road.

jcmoon and TheJuice like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's like asking why people continue to play the lottery looking to win millions when the odds say they won't win anything. All they do is lose money, but they still gamble on winning playing it. The NBA lottery is a bit better in that you at least have a shot at getting a really good player, but like you said, it's never guaranteed. But if you're a sorry team, what else do you have to hope for? Finding a stud player walking the streets?

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Logic? NBA Draft? I don't think those two things go together.

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would have been willing to do that, too. But the other option they will have is to trade for a big contract without sending garbage contracts back. They could just send picks and move that player into that space. That could make us a very desirable trade partner. Stone might feel like that is enough of a possibility that he doesn’t want to disrupt cap space next year.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Me too. I trust Stone when it comes to drafting, but I don’t see why we wouldn’t take two year contracts to move up in this draft. Sochan would be my target. He is going to be special and passing up the chance for someone like that because you don’t want to take on a contract that won’t hurt your FA hunting doesn’t make sense to me. That being said maybe there isn’t that kind of trade available. Charlotte and Hayward is the one that sticks out, but we don’t have a big to trade and is 17 and 26 to 13 worth it?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

“They are not expected to keep other players acquired in the deal — Marquese Chriss, Sterling Brown and Trey Burke.” — Jonathan Feigen

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

What? Suggs was most NBA ready? I thought it was Barnes. It usually take PG the longest to adjust to NBA. This year Banchero is most NBA ready among the top 3. I think Murray is the most ready in the top 10.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is why KPJ is so valuable he has only played 1 year at PG and at the end was a 28ppg and 6apg player.

DD

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What a dumb headline.

They had better assets, it says so in the article lol

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.