1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets keep all three picks and use the 1st 2 for bigs, I don't care if they take a flier on a SG, with good upside at 26

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I had a dream last night that I found out that my college handed out hot towels daily to its students, but since I never knew about this benefit I never registered for it. I was very bitter about the whole ordeal, even though I have been done with that school for 13 years.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I gotta imagine they drafting Beauchamp at 26.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think for the people upset about the return - and it was a little meh…

the hallmark of all of Stone’s non draft moves, to me, has been optionality. Every trade he’s made has had varying outcomes each of which would be fine for the team. The Harden trade potentially brought back players that could help but mainly for picks and if those players didn’t help who cares?

key to the optionality in this trade was not taking back more salary lasting more than a year. Maybe a team with a better pick was interested but unlikely they could get salaries that match that also expire after this year. People have suggested the Hornets - who I think would be just as happy with Williams/Duren anyway - but their contracts they could move have 2+ yrs.

at the same time on the court, either they’re better by addition by subtraction…. Or they’re worse because they lost a good stats player. Either way… win win. Bad for one more year is fine

#704 JayZ750, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Drift Monkey, BigMaloe, Nook and 4 others like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is the diabolical part of Stone's plan. Send Wood to Dallas. Luka becomes extremely disgruntled because he never gets a screen again. Luka decides to reunite with his favorite coach, Stephen Silas and his good friend Boban Marjanovic.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Christian Practice Cone Wood is finally off the team. Couldn't be happier. Surprised Dallas did this trade, guess they plan on offering him a big contract after this year?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d love Beauchamp at 26.

8. MystikArkitect

Is this the second time the Rockets groom a player who thinks he's better than he is only for him to go to Dallas and cripple their franchise with a terrible contract?

Lmao.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair. To be honest though, I don't see them using 3 picks in the first round. They'll bundle the picks and move up. For who? I don't know, but given they signed 4 first round guys last year, I find it hard to believe they'll be signing 3 more this year.

10. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

The rumor is Dallas didn't even want to use the 26th pick. They probably thought it was worth it to take a chance on Wood to see if he is a fit. If he is, great. If not they just lost a pick they were going to use for a draft and stash. This is a good outcome for the Rockets. Got a first rounder they can package and didn't take on any salary after this year. Plus Boban!

Drift Monkey likes this.
  11. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree. I think the chance they draft 3 players in the 1st is close to zero.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Wood may be on better behavior in Dallas.

1. Dallas has a clear alpha in Luka
    2. Bigger personality coach in Kidd
    3. Winning team that wants to get to the finals (they won't)
    4. Wood is in a contract year
    5. He got traded away from a team where he wanted to stick around because of his issue

That's a lot of reasons for him to do better in Dallas than in Houston. So don't be surprised if you do see a different Wood next year. He can play defense when he wants to, his motivation at that end on a losing team is what has been suspect.

joshuaao and Hank McDowell like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you realize you made a mistake the first trade, it's better to risk getting a better pick the second time around then sticking with a bad apple.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I think there's a good chance he'll have a good year in order to get that big payday....but what will happen after he gets it? His issue was never talent, it's who he is as a person that is the problem. The inconsistent effort, the temper tantrums where he refuses to take any shots or play any defense....I see all of that coming back the second he secures a long term deal.

Drift Monkey and hajkov like this.
  15. mario_v

mario_v Member

When it comes to trades, Rafael Stone is no Daryl Morey…

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Your college is the Mavs in Dallas.

I am sorry for your loss.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Dallas may be getting the Wood the Rockets thought they were getting when they thought Harden would be here.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’m sorry you went through that. Stay strong!

Having had time to sleep on it, this trade still sucks.

19. Since75

Since75 Member

I knew the get rid of Silas crap was coming. Who might be a better fit for a young rebuilding team?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a good coach for tanking, a guy to use when the team has no hope.....but once the roster starts to take shape, he's a guy you dump for a real coach.