1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harris County Sheriff’s Office says two people dead and 3 wounded in a shootout at a Houston flea market. And 1 dead and 4 wounded at a shooting at a Presbyterian church in Laguna Woods, Ca.

What the hell is going on with Americans and their fight against stricter gun laws?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. mario_v

mario_v Member

I’ve seen the video of the Buffalo shooting. Maybe if they actually released the video for the public to see, perhaps it could finally open peoples eyes and we could finally see a change to gun laws.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I don't think the GOP cares. They have all the radical gun owners and gun shops voting for them, and the NRA funding in their pockets. The easier it is to buy guns makes those groups happy.

4. Buck Turgidson

How so? I'm quite interested.

5. adoo

adoo Member

Rep. Katie Porter, D-Irvine, whose district includes Laguna Woods, put out a statement on Twitter shortly after the shooting occurred, ~~130pm PST during a luncheon honoring a former pastor with the Taiwanese congregation

the shooter, an Asian man in his 60s, got off one round of bullets, hitting several attendees of the luncheon. one or more of luncheon attendees acted quickly to subdue the shooter,
    who was already "hog-tied" with an extension cord when authorities arrived.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

This is why I just stay home and eat mushrooms all day. The world isn’t safe

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Funny how many of those .....in his words "Anti-Americans" loom within his own party.

Agent94, mdrowe00, adoo and 2 others like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That tweet confused me into thinking it was a slam on cheney, but it's more on cancruz.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

The Orange County sheriff’s department said David Chou, 68, a Las Vegas resident, is facing one count of murder and five counts of attempted murder.

Laguna Woods is about 275 driving miles south of Las Vegas.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

The line

the shooter, an Asian man in his 60s, got off one round of bullets

bugs me. One round = one bullet. She meant "clip", I assume.

When we advocate against gun violence and for gun control it helps if we know what we're talking about, in the interest of being taken seriously by people who may be on the other side of the debate.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if this is the shooting that involved the 60 year old guy with the two handguns, then "clip" is also incorrect. Pistols use magazines, clips refer to the storage system used in older military rifles:

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/magazine-vs-clip/

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

OK, fair. But the gun enthusiasts who would make that distinction are not the people I was referring to. Nobody's too concerned with the abundance of M1 rifles ("they" can't have mine, btw)

My now-retired police captain buddy always called them clips whenever we'd go pistol shooting. Now that I think about it, most everyone I know uses the 2 terms interchangeably.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Always happens. Silencer/Suppressor and on and on. People for gun control would do themselves a favor to learn more. It would help their positions and also make it more palatable.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Homey the Clown

This isn't about gun laws. White supremacy has been the number 1 threat ever since colonization. Just ask the indigenous people (Native Americans). But people often forget or are not aware that gun control was largely created to prevent black people from having access to firearms and other self defense tools. It can be dated all the way back to the 1600s and continued from then all throughout history across the country. This is a historical fact that you won't ever hear the GOP and Liberal politicians bring up.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I was reading the latest regarding the Ethan Crumbley school shooting, and wow, it’s even worse than I thought

the parents are totally liable for that school shooting

texts to his parents seem to show that he’s dealing with visual hallucinations…he displays suicidal ideation and intention to harm others…he’s asked his parents to get him mental help and texted a friend that he’s thought about calling the police to take him to a hospital, but hasn’t because his parents will be pissed

March 9, 2021

Ethan to Jennifer:

Ethan, 7:50 p.m.: "Can you get home now?"
    Ethan: "There’s someone in the house I think"
    Ethan.: "Someone walked into the bathroom and flushed the toilet and left the light on"
    Ethan: "And I thought it was you but when I came out there was no one home"
    Ethan: "There's no one in the house tho"
    Ethan: "Dude my door just slammed"
    Ethan, 8:01 p.m.: "Maybe it’s just my paranoia"
    Ethan: "But when are you going to get home"

Jennifer did not respond to Ethan on March 9. Det. Edward Wagrowski, who has 25 years with the Oakland County Sheriff's Office and seven years with the computer crimes unit, said photos showed that she was horseback riding at the time.

March 17, 2021
    Ethan to Jennifer:

Ethan, 6:03 p.m.: "Ok the house is now haunted"
    Ethan: "Some wierd s*** just happens and now I’m scared"
    Ethan: "I got some videos"
    Ethan: "And a picture of the demon"
    Ethan: "It is throwing BOWLS"
    Ethan: "I am not joking it f***** up the kitchen"
    Ethan: "I’m just going to be outsider for a while"
    Ethan, 6:29 p.m.: "Can you at least text back"

Jennifer did not respond. Wagrowski said she was again horseback riding.

his parents are aware of all this and either ignore or don’t care…matter of fact, they buy him a gun 4 days before the shooting

he drew a picture on the day of the shooting saying “the thoughts won’t stop, help me”

[​IMG]

they are called to the school and resisted seeking treatment for him

all the signs were there in neon lights…they should be charged with murder as well

this is insane

deb4rockets likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

March 20, 2021
    Ethan to Jennifer:

Ethan: 2:33 p.m.: "I finished picking up the room"
    Ethan: "I cleaned until the clothes started flying off the shelf
    Ethan: "This stuff only happens when I’m home alone
    Ethan: "I picked the clothes back up tho"

Nov. 29, 2021
    Jennifer to Ethan:

Jennifer, 11:53 a.m.: "Seriously?? Looking up bullets in school?"
    Ethan, 11:54 a.m.: "What?"
    Ethan: "Oh yeah. I already went to the office for that."
    Ethan: "It was in first hour all I did was look up a certain caliber at the end of class because I was curious."
    Ethan: "It was on my phone."
    Ethan: "completely harmless"
    Ethan: "teachers just have no privacy"
    Ethan: "They said I'm all good"
    Ethan: "I understand why I they talked to me and they said they that is am good."
    Ethan: "This is nothing I should get in trouble about"
    Jennifer, 12:13 p.m.: "You're not they left me a voicemail" (Included emojis of a woman covering her face)
    Jennifer: "Did you at least show them a pic of your new gun?"
    Ethan: "NO I didn't show them the pic my god"
    Ethan: "I only told them I went to the range with you on Saturday"
    Ethan: "It was a harmless act"
    Ethan: "I have this bullet cartridge in my room that I didn't what kind of bullet it was and it said it was a 22 so at the end of first hour I just looked up different types of 22 bullets and I guess the teachers can't get their eyes of my screen smh"
    Jennifer, 12:30 p.m.: "lol I'm.not mad. you have to learn not.to.get caught"

ROCKSS and deb4rockets like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

In an exchange on April 5, 2021, prosecutors described "quite a bit" of discussion about his mental state in which Ethan Crumbley told his friend he was "f----- up," experiencing hallucinations, and had asked his parents for help.

"Now my mom thinks I take drugs," one text read, according to the prosecutor. "She thinks that’s the reason why I’m so mad and sad all the time, and she doesn't worry about my mental health. They make me feel like I’m the problem."

Another text from Ethan Crumbley to his friend indicated that he had asked his father, James, "to take me to the doctor but he just gave me some pills and told me to suck it up," the prosecutor read during the hearing.

At one point, Ethan told his friend in a text: "I need help. I was thinking of calling 911 so I could go to the hospital but then my parents would be really pissed," according to the exchange read in court.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's horrific, sad, and disgusting. His parents should be the ones locked up. He was obviously mentally ill, and the last thing a mentally ill person needs is a gun. So many suicides and school shootings stem from mentally ill, abused, and bullied kids.

ROCKSS and Reeko like this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

NY has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just don’t understand how u have a child displaying clear signs of psychosis and mental illness, yet u completely ignore it all and even buy him a gun

Wtf does some 16 year old need with a gun for Christmas anyways?

after what I read yesterday, I blame the parents the most for this situation

I think they’re getting charged with involuntary manslaughter when they’re just as guilty as the child for this shooting…they provided the murder weapon and refused to get him help

How do u see that your kid drew something like that, get called to the school, and your response is basically “shrug, I gotta get back to work…bye”…then a few hours later, a mass shooting happens and the parents immediately think he’s the one who did it when they get word of it

Astrodome likes this.