1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[July 2019] Do you like the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sajan, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

509 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

164 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You really think a professional like CP3 needed to get traded to OKC for a "wake up call"? Doubt it. I think he was going to go vegan regardless.

We screwed up in trading one of the smartest nba players ever, an all time great, for one of the dumbest players ever.

2. thekad

thekad Member

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

reading back on a lot of the comments in this thread is just a reminder of the usual suspects that have consistently bad takes. This also isn't the only thread regarding the worst trade in history and the overwhelmingly approval of a sorry player like westbrick. I just didn't want to bump multiple but Clutch's tweet deserved to be reposted somewhere

ronclone likes this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Sadly I voted yes, lol. CP3 tricked me into thinking he was done. If he was still a top 20 player as he was in 2018 I would have never liked the trade.

Of course WB declined rapidly from the previous year as well.

5. xaos

xaos Member

Westbrook was one of my least favorite players before he joined the Rockets and CP3 was one of my favorite before he joined Rockets. It was an easy no for me. The hard part was pushing myself to try to believe that it will work. That took the most effort out of any player the Rockets ever had.

6. thekad

thekad Member

You know you’re comparing him to Westbrook right? In his last three playoffs before joining Houston, Westbrook had a TS% below 50% while playing league-worst defense.

Trading picks with Chris Paul to upgrade the position is a fine idea. The problem is they traded picks for a worse player, which was stated by many people at the time of the trade. This isn’t hindsight.

YOLO likes this.
  7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

No Chris Paul was not the better player in 2019. He was 33 years old. His numbers were BAD and even WORSE when you put them in context

Westbrook was a primary scorer while Chris Paul was taking role player looks. He couldnt score on anyone. You cant just tell pj tucker to score 15 corner threes a game on 40% shooting. Thats not how it works

Nobody thought we were winning with Chris Paul going into the season. And we probably still wouldnt even if he got back into shape

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

bingo. casuals thought westbrick was great. Even though he was already declining and was even worse than cp3, especially in the playoffs. Also, got to correct you on the "many people" only a select group of this board knew what they were talking about when it came to this situation as a whole.

Yeah none of it is hindsight. it was foreseen

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

CP3 needs to share his gear recipe with Harden -- all we know is that it's vegan.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

In my time watching basketball, there have been 3 trades that at the time they were made i considered to be absolutely unconscionable idiocy at the time they occured.

1. Kings trading unprotected 1st to open cap space for rondo and some average center to chase the 8th seed
    2. Spurs trading Kawhi for what at the time was less then nothing just to spite him instead of getting young players/picks from the lakers or another western team. (At the time, derozen was a massive negative contract and nobody could've predicted he'd improve so much, though he's gone and wasn't as good in SA as he is now)
    3. Houston trading cp3 for russ, trading a better player on a better contract WITH multiple 1sts for a worse player on a worse contract. Easily the angriest I've ever been as a fan.

You can make an honorable mention for the 1st Harden trade, but that's a little revisionist as nobody knew what he'd become (multiple teams turned down trades for harden for much inferior players) though in retrospect it's obviously up there.

11. xaos

xaos Member

How I felt about the trade haha

YOLO likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

#332 DaDakota, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  13. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Nope. Common misconception.

WEEKS before the trade it was already known along the coaching staff how much better Paul was physically on his new diet. D’Antoni specifically said he was excited.

14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

So what is the amount of time between the end of the 2019 playoffs, and the beginning of the 2020 regular season. That is the amount of time you are saying this was a good trade.

15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Lol CP3 only being top 20 in 2018. Still to this day underrating him.

Try top 5. The man has a monopoly on winning basketball the Cousins, Paul George’s and Anthony Davis of the world don’t, despite equal stats.

16. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

My hate for this trade and calamity only exists because of my love for that rockets team and core. I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy a sports team as much as I did that 2018 team. Still get the most unique butterflies when I think back to watching a team like that play.

YOLO likes this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Yea bad trade. I think a major reason for the vote isn't that people thought Westbrook was awesome, it's that people didn't think Chris Paul wasn't going to recover. Suns are paying Paul $30 mil per, it's also not like he's on a bargain contract.

Both guys not on this team anymore, I kind of don't want to re-visit. OKC fleeced the Rockets. Rockets is still paying price with Wall on the bench, and OKC having Rocket's future picks.

18. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Good lord god almighty how false this was. LMAO.

people need to understand, Chris Paul is always underrated and under appreciated, and that became more obvious when he regressed into being like, peak Billups level.

But people also overrated Russ to such an insane level. He had surgeries stacked to the roof by 2019. Was losing athleticism yearly. And just had back to back disaster playoff runs. Categorically worse playoff runs than 2019 Paul. Who played like Prime Andre Iguodala for a couple series.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. I look really smart in retrospect.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

lmao Chris Paul super fan?

"a monopoly on winning basketball" when he hasnt won ****

Some of you really need to take the blinders off. That 2017 season was fun but cp was a glorified role player in year 2