1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets should trade Jae’Sean Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Can you buy Wood, Gordon, and Wall jerseys so they get traded too? :)

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

*Does Tate bring (Rockets) a first round pick or a serviceable PF/C with a couple yrs in
    the league? That team wanting a SF while the Rockets get a PF/C

*Somewhat proven vet (Tate) over rookie SF with potential (mid 1st and on).
    A team would have a known commodity in Tate vs young rookie (and potential).

Disclaimer: both Tate and Kenyon need to shoot 1,000 three's a day
    this off season. Then their value increases 5X's if they can shoot 7 to 8 three's
    a game and hit 36% (3P%)

#42 ApacheWarrior, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    saleem likes this.
  3. opticon

opticon Member

Great read! A team like Utah would be smart to give up a late first or early second for Tate. He would give them the defense and hustle that they sorely need. Royce Oneal can't guard every perimeter player at once.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Don't trade him to Utah. Combine 5, 17 and Tate or Martin to move upto 3 to grab Jabari if he's available.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

They should trade everyone outside of Green at the moment - if they can get higher upside in return.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

Agree to disagree.

saleem likes this.
  7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I did buy a Wood one last season.
    These are my jersey purchases
    17-18 City: Harden
    18-19 City: Paul
    19-20 City: Westbrook
    20-21 City: Wood
    21-22 City: Tate

Needless to say...I'm a bad omen.

(I also bought a Jalen Green City so I can say I have his rookie jersey when he becomes a superstar)

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Reality is that Tate can walk and will likely be declining at time when this team is trying to ascend.

Perfectly reasonable to extend the asset.

9. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I think it'd be great to trade Tate for something of value, but I would be very surprised if there is much of a market for him. I'd say he was roughly 6th best player on the worst team in the league, doubt that will interest many teams.

Friendly contact, great heart and hustle, and good attitude, but unfortunately lacks size and can't shoot.

10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why are fans so big on Martin? A guy who has no handles. Lack of agility and footwork. Can’t dribble drive and finish. Streaky 3 pt shooter. Inconsistent and overrated defense. Not to mention undersized 4? Really don’t understand what you guys are seeing with Martin other than flashy dunks and occasional block on bigs. Tate is an overall better player leaps and bounds over Martin.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont want to help them in anyway. Though it would be funny to see Draymond yelling at Wood for not setting screens.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Baffling to me what these supposed fans are thinking when he makes winning plays and on a championship contender he would be an integral piece consistently making these plays. There’s a reason a lot of teams have been inquiring about him. I only see 2 major weaknesses in his game which is the 3 ball and being more patient with letting the half court set develop instead of forcing drives too quickly. The man is still developing and getting better. Let’s stop rushing to dismiss a player especially one that plays hard and focused every night. Besides what value do you all think will be given in return? Second round? Why would a team give a first rounder? The team has exercised its club option and can sign him for a few years on bird rights. He would be in his prime years with a growing Green Sengun JC and this year’s pick. His value is in his ethic and his presence can push and inspire on and off the court. Basketball isn’t just about numbers.

Ekiu, HP3 and saleem like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sirjesse likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think it's the opposite actually - he's potentially more valuable to one of those teams; defensively he's a Swiss army knife, offensively because he's going to have less latitude to just freelance into a spinning dribble drive because he feels like it if he had a Lebron or Durant or whoever defining the roles more clearly.

Obviously has to shoot a billion corner 3s in that case and do better than 31%.

In Houston he can kind of do whatever he wants on tank squads and it makes him seem worse.

But again - he's more valuable to them than Houston? Make the deal.

16. saleem

Trading Tate on his own won't yield anything more than a late 1st round pick. He is more valuable off the bench to a playoff team, but he’s valuable for the Rockets too. I would like to retain him.

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would trade him if you can pair him with something to move up to top 12 or so. In either case, he should be coming off the bench for about 20 mins a game. I’m not a huge KJM fan, but at least he can hit a three and is not a ball stopper like Tate. Of course, I don’t want KJM getting more than 20 mins either. My hope is we solve PF and SF this off-season. Sharpe is 6’6” with a 7 ft wingspan, just saying.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

First off you don't have to trade him on his own - obviously you can (and probably have to) package him with a salary.

Second, a late first >>> Tate on a new contract.

Like if he's part of the deal for the fabled Talen Horton Tucker and an unprotected (or v. lightly protected) 2027 Lakers 1st, I'd totally consider that

19. saleem

I admit I'm surprised why Tate became a ball stopper this season. He can pass it. 17 and Tate for Eason at 12 makes sense, but I don't think Tate has that much pull. Sharpe will probably go in the top 10.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. saleem

I agree with your first part. Wood plus Tate and the 17th has been proposed by so many posters. I don't think a late first is better than him in this draft. If the 2023 draft is stronger than it's even more unlikely to acquire one for him.

I would like him to be part of the proposed 2027 1st round Lakers trade, but I doubt if the Rockets can pull it off without giving up major assets.