1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I feel a Draft in here...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member

Portland didn't have a glut of guards when they drafted Bowie. They had Drexler and Paxson. Now without even using hindsight people knew Jordan would be much much better than Paxson before the draft. Drafting Bowie was idiotic not because Jordan went next, but because he was a walking injury even in college. You do not draft a big man with a long history of injuries.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Chet or bust!!!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I know very well the Fertittas really want Chet

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If you look at this team, I'm sure Wood was looked at and being told by the coaches as the primary option when the season started.

It was obvious last year that he was not a center, however Silas forced the issue. Wood said numerous times that he wanted to play with Alpi but Silas decided against it. And I think it's because Green was having difficulty finding his spots.

I think next yr is the deciding yr for both Wood and KPJ. Can KPJ play PG? And can Wood function as a PF with Alpi or another center?

ilias likes this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I seriously hope not! Maybe if they're picking at #3 but not #1 or #2

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I hope I'm wrong but he could be a bust. To me the only redeeming quality he brings is defense. Which I love but it was largely against players in high school and college. Players he was taller than.

When he played against Memphis, a team that was equally or more physical he folded. Only time will tell.

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I actually think Wood could be a great long term piece. He bugged the heck out of me this year, but people forget how amazing he looked next to Harden. The problem is we won’t see that player until we establish the actual stars on our team that he’s meant to complement.

I think he could be the 3rd best scorer on a really good team, and he honestly fits pretty well next to Jabari Smith to help out his lack of defense…

BUT, he is going to pound the ball like no other again next season trying to get his next big contract, so I would be legitimately afraid of player development (especially for another big) with him on the roster.

ilias and D-rock like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Christian Wood is an incredibly terrible defensively player, and he plays the most important position defensively. He is not a long term piece for any team hoping to win.

studogg likes this.
  9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I still think this argument is so largely based on looks. He is one of the best prospects in years in every statistical category, but he’s 25 pounds lighter than he needs to be. Every big comes into the league too skinny and they bulk up. Just look at Capela and Gobert…

Rockets4Life13 and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I’m not here to defend CWood, lol. I think if our team were better, he’d probably play harder on defense. He really did show some stuff this year in spurts (like the Memphis game where he battled and won against Adams).

saleem and D-rock like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its just an example man why picks are always in demand. Sure GMs know you dont want 3 picks, but it doesnt change the attractiveness of the deal. Its not like you are talking about 5 picks here its literally 2 picks being offered. For example Rox got 17th and 18th wanna trade it for 14th pick. If the team doesnt like it the you go down a spot, talk to the 15th guy etc. Plus who says the Rox doesnt wanna draft 3 picks? If the right talent is there why not if you traded EG or CWood that means you got a free roster spot and we are losing Schroder anyway.

A good example is OKC everybody knew they didnt wanna take so many picks. But to get Sengun who is a somewhst low pick at 17 the Rox still needed to give up two picks to get him. Thats two future frps are still good value for a 17th pick.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I would have packaged Wood and Gordon for WB and the Lakers 2027 pick at the deadline. I had several posters laugh at the idea but Wood and Gordon are useless for this team and Wall and WB expire at the same time creating a mountain of cap space. That 2027 pick is a golden lottery ticket depending on protection.

I would still do that deal though the LAL likely wouldn’t now given that they may have come to grips with the rebuild on the horizon.

Regardless Gordon, Wood, and Nwaba need to be gone. I’d like to see Wood traded to Indiana for Turner and then draft one of Chet/Paolo/Jabari. Running pnr with KPJ/Green and Paolo and his secondary playmaking or collapsing the defense and kicking out to Jabari would be amazing.

I still like adding Turner and Jabari as our defense would immediately improve. We could be in the conversation for the playin and then have cap space for a max FA in 2023.

peleincubus likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sure but you wonder with a frame that thin maybe he cant handle extra poundage. Like with Zion everybody knew his weight is a problem but everybody just ignored the elephant in the room. In Chet's case h8s camp knows his weight is the only issue but he only gained 5 pounds in 1 yr. That concerns me tbh why couldnt he gain more weight? IIRC there was a story of Banchero losing 7 pounds due to sweat now this dude cant even gain more than 5 pounds.

Its a big reason why I like Jabari Smith. No fuss, no risk, no blatant red flag.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Or play more zone/drop coverage.

The best defensive teams are hybrid.

But that would mean adding a much better defensive coach to coaching staff.

This coaching staff has proven at least one thing, none of them can coach defense worth a damn.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen.

D-rock likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Spot on

saleem and D-rock like this.
  17. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I thought it was time to move on from wood last summer and it was a very unpopular opinion. glad to see many people coming around to it. i think waiting this long might have tanked his trade value. as an expiring contract he's basically a 1 year rental unless the new team is willing to pay him long term. a great scenario would be to portland since they just want to give it one more go with Dame. he fits into their TE, would generate a TE for us equal to his salary, and we could ask for a protected future first. I could also see the hornets as a good fit to resign him as a starter. maybe a swap for Oubre and #13 or 15?

I'm not sure if anyone at #17 could make a difference. If we stay there I'd expect a choice of agbaji, walker, brown, jovic, dieng, chandler, montero...I'd hope someone like Eason, Sochan, or Daniels slips to us. I'd also consider moving up for one of them. I think tate would be a great fit with the Cavs and would consider #17/tate for #14.

if we're lucky enough to land one of the big 3 guys, trade wood, and get a late lotto pick either by moving up or if one slips to 14... I'd put us between 25-30 wins. we probably need 35-40 for the play-in. we won't be a bottom 5 team, but probably still comfortably in the lotto. and I think that would be a successful season too. I don't expect play in until the following year. jalen/alpy/JC in year 3. our top 5 pick in year 2. add another lotto pick for depth in 2023. max cap space to add vets an depth that complement jalen and our top guys. I think we can make a big jump in the 23/24 season.

ilias and Dankstronaut like this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'd take Oubre/swap if that's a real consideration for sure. Good point about Portland trying to give it one more go for Dame, Wood would be known as the superstar's last resort lol
    I'd hate to give up Tate just for a few picks up but if it was Sochan I'd consider it. That guy's defense is too damn slick at 6'9".
    I disagree with this one though. Not tanking, no Wood and the amount of developing talent PLUS a top flight pick...35 W's is definitely in the realm of possibility.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree I would hate to move tate just for a few picks up, but if it means drafting a higher tier of player than even one pick up is worth it.

I hope you're right about 35 wins, but I just can't get there. that's nearly doubling this year's total. rookies don't usually add to wins. and if you're willing to move wood, gordon, even tate, those guys were the reasons we won some of the games we did. replacing them with a pair of rookies who likely won't contribute to winning might counterbalance the added wins that jalen, Alpy, KPJ, and JC can get us. remember, next year we're likely getting even younger and less experienced. I see us inching up to 25, and maybe if Silas keeps his word of increasing the complexity of the offense as the rookies mature, then maybe a few more wins on top of that. that's where I got 25-30 from. I'd be really happy if you were right because that would mean our guys made a huge jump in development, and/or Silas improved as well.

Dankstronaut likes this.