1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets @TANKATHON - 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Dec 22, 2021.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Y one and not the other? Curious.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

It's weird to me about how quickly peeps judge rookies.

Green wasnt a bust 30 games in and likely Suggs is not a bust after 1 year. I think the odds are higher that sugs goes on to have a couple 20 point per game seasons then he just busts out entirely. Orlando still values him highly.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

3 years isnt a long time. You act like teams win a championship every other year lol. Slippery slope? 3 years is barely enough to whet your whistle what slippery slope are you talking about?

Just look at precedent in the NBA which superstar won a ring after yr 3? My point is to have a team willing to tank the whole season, very few owners wanna do it unless they have no choice. An 8th pick is nice but probably wont net a franchise player, probably wont result in a difference maker. Rox right now have an opportunity to keep adding talent while Green and our young core are still bad once they start improving the Rox lose their chance to add talent.

You gotta keep your eyes on the prize which is build a core that can be perennial contenders for a long time. Look at the Cavs. They whiffed on Sexton,they got Gsrland and now they got Mobley. If the Cavs stopped at just Sexton and Garland where would they be?

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Suggs still has potential, he is just a lot less skilled than expected but you think he'd improve over time.

Fultz has way too many injuries plus he is already out of his rookie deal. He dealt with thst shoulder crap that messed his shot then he got his acl torn or something. The 2 arent even comparable tbh.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Great post!

Patience isn't something all people have. But for me, a team like the 2022 Rockets was an easy year for me. No expectations. Its those 40-45 win teams that are just good enough to make the playoffs and still bad enough to lose in the first round every year that make me insane.

The impatient route more often leads to what I just described. If you want to avoid it, you got to go what the systems allows you to. And you just illustrated my thoughts real nicely.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Worst record in back-to-back seasons

[​IMG]

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Fantastic job to close the season. 20 was the maximum wins i was ok with coming in the season and it was the exact right number

matchesmalone likes this.
  8. jacoby

jacoby Member

We did it boys. We are once against the absolute worst team in the league! Pop the champagne.

jiggyfly, burlesk, Fullcourt and 3 others like this.
  9. Mattician

Mattician Member

The tank is over!

everyday eddie and daywalker02 like this.
  10. swakid8

swakid8 Member

‘This right here

11. kpdark

kpdark Member

... and that is it. Would Silver give the 1 pick to the worst team this time around?

matchesmalone likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

look , it depends on who we take next year .. but I just don’t want to INTENTIONALLY lose game . If we are fighting for a play in spot on the backs of our 6! Recent firsts .. should we shut them down just because we have an opportunity to get better odds at talent ?

I don’t know anything about Cleveland’s past. I do know they had plenty of top picks ... that didn’t do **** , until lebron came back . Check that , I looked it up . They won 33 games the year before he came back . Their young guys showed growth and it translated to wins . Do you think he comes back if they are the bottom of the league and he’s playing with scrubs and a rookie ?

I don’t think the mediocrity treadmill is as bad as it used to be ... not with revamped lottery odds .

I just don’t want to the goal to be coming into the season ... to the worst team (so we can get a top 5 guaranteed ) . To me , it would be much smarter to aim to try and show growth through winning .

And not only can you add talent through the draft , but also trades and FA . If we are a 20 win perrenial tanker , no interest in trying to win ... who dafuq is gonna want to come here . Guys like Christian wood ?

I think there are good organizations and bad organizations. Good organizations tank smartly . Or they develop guys and live with a pick outside of the top 4 because they develop . And hey , sometimes you get lucky and the ping pong balls roll your way .

What has Cleveland even done with mobley . By some people’s judgement they are in the 8th seed ! Isn’t that the worst spot to be ? Shouldn’t they have traded Allen and tanked to “add more talent” ?

it’s not a black and white thing . If you tank for 3 years as an organization, know that you are playing with fire and a certain percentage of fans are gonna be pissed ... and they are gonna be pissed until the tank shows results ... in my case I want results In line with the tank . If you tanked for 3 years then that means you identified top talent in the draft that was worth not trying to win games . There better be results and fast .

curry
    Giannis
    Kawhi
    Klay
    Draymond
    Booker
    Does miami even have a top 10 pick on their roster ?
    Dallas tanked for 1 year
    Jokic was nearly a second rounder !

getting a top Pick shouldn’t be the goal ... outside of extraordinary circumstances. Year harden leaves ... sure go ahead and suck . Year after , fine you have a bunch of firsts to integrate and you’re trying to rebuild . But the next year ... it’s back to ordinary circumstances. We shouldn’t be losing on purpose .

how we’ve played this year . The rotation decisions , shutting down guys ... we are trying to lose . And it’s been a season long effort .

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Anything lower than 2nd overall is a catastrophe imo.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

It's comical reading some of the Mock drafts from last April and May.
    Just in case we don't get 1-4, I'm confident a superb player will be there.

burlesk likes this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

We don’t have to have some all nba talent. Just need to address the front court & power forward situation and come out the draft with some decent forwards

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

17. Buck Turgidson

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

Would depend on private workouts but yes I would likely take Ivey over Sharpe.

I’m not worried about Green being upset honestly.

jiggyfly and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Fultz has had a lot more time to thrive than Suggs and he is a more natural point guard