1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's still a 3 player core.

Green
    KPJ
    Sengun

There are others I'd like to keep, but that's the core the team is building around. 3 potential all star caliber players.

PatBev likes this.
  2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

K Martin
    Jalen Green
    Josh Chris

3. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think KMJ is in that discussion too and will be a starter next season if woods gone

Not one of the big 3 but I think Stone will push hard trading Tate over KMJ

fattz and Bobbythegreat like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

@Clutch is still correct in what he's saying

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, I'm a big fan of KMJ and he's someone I really want the Rockets to hold on to, he's just not what I consider part of the "core"....but he's in the very next tier.

6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This is spot on, I don’t think Sengun is even untouchable if he were moved in a package for an established all star.

7. deshen

deshen Member

The Rockets played only last two weeks the way they should for development, I still have no confidence in FO and Coach.

slothy420, D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can say that my problem with Wood is not one of the paramount ones.

I just think we have too many lackadaisical players, young players, inconsistent and undisciplined players on our roster.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

the only argument I have towards this ... is how much of that being horrible is in a single player’s hands .

regardless of if you’re talking about kpj , Tate , or wood .. you can’t deny that it’s been an overall organizational decision to not be very good . Some of this can fall on Silas as well .

I love Tate , I like KPJ , I despise wood . Imo if you put some better players around kpj and Tate ( of course our other young guys developing too) we could fight for a play in spot next year .

but , the point of “stanning” for them while our record has been what is has been is a valid point . Can those guys really lead winning teams ? Kpj is too inconsistent and Tate hasn’t built up enough skills . But , I still have hope that they can improve and be more than just contributors on good teams .

both of those guys also bring a significant portion of their package on D ... and D is the hardest thing to evaluate because it’s so connected as a team . But there have been some tiny stretches throughout the year when it actually looks like we are bringing “force” and kpj and Tate are usually a part of it . Green brings great energy on D too .

Sengun needs to keep getting faster . It takes longer for big guys to get the smarts down on D too .

I don’t think it will click for wood . Luckily 3/4 top guys in this draft are front court players .

But it’s hard to really evaluate these guys when the team as a whole is raw/ bad . I am not nearly as high on kmj as some of y’all . His shot isn’t that good and he’s got a weak grip on the ball . He isn’t showing anything particularly great on D even though his effort and athleticism is good . To me he would be best as a Gerald green type player . But he’s not there yet .

Sengun / green have some insane potential. Kpj is doing good things but he’s got much more nba experience than they do . Tate would look great on a good team I believe his shot will eventually get there .

In terms of untouchability .. green 1 , sengun 2 . Kpj’s value to you is way higher than you might get for him . Tate’s could be the opposite . The only other pieces I really don’t wanna move are the other 1sts from last year . Jc has had a really really solid showing . Garuba has basically red-shirted but I expect a strong showing next year . Both those guys value will keep going up . And you never know how high their ceilings will be .

you’ve got those 6 . (Green , sengun , Tate , kpj , jc , garuba ) . Plus another 2 firsts . Kmj and nix to develop .

Imagine , garuba and Tate develop 3 point shots .

Green
    Tate
    Garuba
    Smith
    Sengun

kpj and jc off the bench to up the pace . 16th pick can be anyone . Boo yah

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. marinara

marinara Member

Jalen
    Draft Pick
    Sengun
    KPJ
    JC

Questionable
    KMJ - improved his 3PT shot, if he can bulk up ideally I would like to see him take Tates spot.

Tate - I feel he would be more worth to a team contending, love his attitude but he hasn’t improved his 3PT shot and if he doesn’t I wouldn’t be surprised if he was flipped mid season to a contender for a late first.

Trade/Cut
    Wood
    Gordon
    Wall
    Nwaba
    Matthews

Unknown/Development
    Nix - shown good signs already

Queen - GLeague bucket but can he defend and can he get to the rim at NBA level with bigger bodies.

Grauba - Hopefully he can work on some offence this off season whether he can roll and finish at NBA level or at pick and pop to offer something apart from his D.

PatBev likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The untouchable tag is also figurative, someone like Green is only going to get better but what if he is injury prone or has fallen off....then his value drops and he is not untouchable.

Usually those untouchables should be around their prime.......and for teams that have not been blessed with great Free Agents, making younger stars untouchable is likely the only way to survive in this arms race.

Sengun‘s creativity is integral, I have not seen the same level from Nix, from KPJ, from Green, from anyone on that roster.

He has his flaws but this guy is unique, it is just a bummer he is not 6'11 while doing the ish he does on a regular basis.

-----the reason the Rox are guarding him like a jewel.

#271 daywalker02, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Feel similarly, that is around the time the Blazers shut down some of their better players.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. i3artow i3aller

Would you trade KPJ or Sengun for a top 4 pick?

vator and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ehhhhhh.

Prob not. Unless there was like another Luka, I might b ballsy enough to do it.

A big man (Luka caliber) I would b more hesitant.

Basically I would only do it for a prospect that has the resume to back it up. Don't think there's anyone of that caliber this year.

Trading sengun for an unknown is giving up on sengun too early.
    Giving up kpj when we lack a tru pg is not ideal. I don't think Schroder should b our future one either

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think KPJ would net that, Alp would be close maybe.
    I’m not trading Sengun unless it’s for a young healthy superstar.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. vator

vator Contributing Member

Top 4 you say? So you're saying I can potentially come out of this draft with some combination of 2 out of Jabari, Chet, Jaden, and Paolo? And I still have 16 to get a SF or Center that I like! Sorry, but...

[​IMG]

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Maybe you’re right, I don’t think Sengun will be an allstar. I hope I’m wrong of course.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. caneks

caneks Rookie

too early to tell.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Definitely KPJ. I would throw in some cash of my own to make that happen. Man if any of those top 4 teams are dumb enough to do that deal the franchise should be forced to be sold and relocated.

Sengun, yeah, probably. But I wouldn't be happy about it and might really regret it later. Still, I would.