1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure about the latter part of that.
    But, I spoke for those of us who were calling it like we were seeing it over the first half. Needless to say I'm ecstatic about Jalen's blossoming.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Grow a pair and name names

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The ONLY fan syndrome is strange to me, people that can't see any flaws in a certain player or will WHITE KNIGHT for that player like he is in their family.

But the worst, the ABSOLUTE worst thing about some ONLY fans is that they b**** about other players that might take away the shine from their favorite.

For an old head like me, it is ROCKETS first, players 2nd........the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

But far be it from me to define for others what their fandom is or isn't......to each their own.

DD

Tfor3 and Rashmon like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That can mean so many different things. I've seen so many toxic people in my life and public life use that same line when getting push back from their toxicity.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who are these fantasy GOFs?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is an overused word....who defines what is toxic, and what is simply a difference of opinion?

DD

vator likes this.
  7. Plowman

Supporting Member

Trust me. You've got me all wrong. Peace.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It was pretty easy to identify and ignore the “I just started following the NBA, know nothing JGOF and Sengoonies” that were essentially LOF clones early in the season.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

You creating this thread says everything I need to know at least on this specific subject matter.

Again, don't be so coy. List those who you deem as "JOFs". Drop your nuts.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what's DMo up to these days?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

How many edgelord especially politicians have you seen use that exact same line defending toxicity..
    "I'm just calling it like I see it".

Like any word that defines a character trait, it's subjective. Am I denying it isn't subjective what is toxic? I think I've typed enough in this trash thread to explain what I mean in this context when I refer to "toxic".

12. Plowman

Supporting Member

My interests are what's best for our team, and what's best for this board.

13. fchowd0311

You definitely are helping alleviate any toxicity in this message board. Good day of work for you I guess?

peleincubus likes this.
  14. vator

vator Contributing Member

I didn't want to say it! There ARE some Sengun only fans on here and they post very aggressively when anybody raises questions about Alperen. I have a job that at certain times requires my full attention so I don't have time to be arguing with people all day on here lol!! The offense did seem to flow better in my opinion when Garuba was in the game just playing his role and Garuba isn't even really a good player yet. Sengun is a much better player overall, but do the pieces fit? A lot of this could be coaching inadequacies too. Not putting Alpi in a good situation.

Sengun is quite frankly my 2nd favorite player on the team. Nobody will believe me now, because I agree with you and worry that we may need to ultimately trade him too for fit reasons, but I absolutely LOVE Sengun. Thanks DD, you got us in trouble!

I think he can be a 18-20 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists big man as a starter. The problem is, just like Indiana found out with Sabonis, he is a difficult archetype to build around in the NBA. He really needs to be surrounded with guys that accentuate his strengths and mask his weaknesses more than the average player. I mentioned this a while back and people got mad, but it's true. We as fans are literally taking guys off our draft boards or dropping them because of Sengun and I don't know if we should do that just yet.

He is still only 19 and his body has another level it can get to from a strength and conditioning perspective so there is still a world of unlocked potential there. I just don't know if he is or isn't going to be good enough to be our hub to construct an entire roster around. Oh and Sengun with a 3 ball even without improving his body really elevates him so much offensively in my mind. Right now he is respected about as much as Tate when he is on the perimeter. I'm imagining a more physically fit and muscular Alperen Sengun that can shoot threes. That's a scary player. That version of Sengun is something you can build around. He is probably your best player if he does BOTH of those things.

#74 vator, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    harold bingo likes this.
  15. mightybosstone

I'm sorry, but this "only fans" concept seems totally asinine to me. If people were posting in here before Green was drafted, they were Rockets fans. And they'll still be here when he's gone. I probably would have been in the group that some Clutchfans posters would have referred to a "Harden only fans." Guess what? Harden's gone, and I'm still here.

As fans, we instinctively gravitate toward certain players, especially superstar players, guys who are exciting or guys whose games we just prefer. That's OK. Just because you naturally favor 1-2 players over the rest of the team does not mean you love the team you root for any less, and other fans shouldn't get to dictate how you root for your team. This is immature, grade-school level drama crap, and I have no time for it. We're all Rockets fans and most of us are adults; let's act like it.

Tfor3, peleincubus, Rashmon and 5 others like this.
  16. Rockets4Life13

I don't know if people actually recognize me as one of the "JGOF's" but I would think that may be the case.

I don't actually think anyone of you has any right to call out supporters of JG because we have gone through rough times here on this board and just because the tables turned doesn't mean you get to b**** now.

I personally want JG to be the one who the organization puts their focus on but this has nothing to do with JG the person. This is about me thinking that he is going to be a better player than KPJ not only talent-wise but also much more reliable.

Wanting JG to be the franchise guy is just the way I think we'll be the best team we can be as soon as possible.

Tfor3 and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Man, I've been coming to this place for a decade and a half, but I've had to stop this season. I figured things would get dicey when we went into full rebuild mode, but I truly can't recall the boards being such a toxic cesspit at any point before this. Even the Lin days weren't this insufferable.

Figured I'd drop in, hoping things had cooled to a simmer since the young guys are looking nice. Lo and behold, the top post is a screed whining about "Jalen Green Only Fans". I see threads relitigating draft order and debating whether KPJ is "consciously envious of Green". This whole page is a pissing contest about who loves the Rockets more and how dumping on an opposing opinion is the purest expression of that love.

I don't know what traffic stats are like for this board, but I can't imagine the overall tenor of discussion here this season has been conducive to attracting new members and retaining those of us who aren't too interested in mudslinging and infighting. So I guess I'll continue to leave this place be, until the rebuild is farther along.

And I'll go ahead and preempt your, "Nothing of value was lost" and "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" responses. But just know that this junk is embarrassing & generally unpleasant, and I'm surely not the only one who feels like this.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think it’s the state of the world in general. Everyone loves arguing with each other and bad eggs are finding this their time to shine. It’s okay. Chet will help us all heal. In Chet we trust.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

This post disingenuously insinuates a notion that this board at one point in time was a peaceful place where everybody shared a hive mind and engaged in group think. It has NEVER been that way and I'm thankful that it never will be.

Also nothing compares to the Lin days, come on.

This topic and the other you mentioned both annoyed me equally and I as an adult, chose to say my piece. I could've looked at the title and decided to easily ignore both and I HAVE done that plenty times in the past. Part of being an adult is using your words to deal with conflict, not avoid it entirely. Sometimes it also means disengaging and if disengaging is what is best for your mental health and happiness, more power to you. I don't judge you and wish you the best. As for me, today I chose to engage with my fellow fans and offer a different perspective although I also reserve the right to ignore a post whenever I see that as the better alternative for me.

Leaving the forum though, is not an option. To me it’s basketball talk, it can’t be that serious. There are much bigger issues in the world than to be stressed because bobby or DD or Plow disagree with me about something right? I respect their opinion and move.

#79 vator, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    peleincubus and Plowman like this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

That's some crazy ish rt there.

fchowd0311 likes this.