1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Major

Major Member

Correa is not a pawn in all of this - he was well educated on his free agency process. Why would he want the same deal with a worse team (and state taxes) and have to uproot his family/etc for a year? And then if he sucks/gets injured and doesn't opt-out, he's stuck there for another year.

the shark and steddinotayto like this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Correa is never getting the 10 year. We he gets hurt this year or next, he will end up playing out the 3 year contract. I’m tired of Diva players. ****’em. He can enjoy the cold with Watson.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The purpose of no trade clauses is EXTRA MONEY to waive them.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The Twins were 3rd worst in the AL and last in their division. I'm sure come trade deadline, Correa is moving again. Where do we think he actually finishes the season?

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It was a down year for them where every ring went wrong. I think it’s much more likely that they finish 2nd in the central and competed for WC2 or 3 with the middle of the AL East and the Rangers/Mariners.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, which Carlos Correa are we talking about? The year where he looks amazing, or the next year where he's awful.....or the next year where he's hurt again?

At his best, Correa is amazing, but IMO he's not worth the drama and he's a coin flip as to if he'll be an MVP candidate or a complete dud.

I'm perfectly fine keeping the circus out of town on a non-contender while seeing what we have with Pena.

Let's not pretend like the Astros aren't still favorites to win their division and make a deep playoff run even without Correa.

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Can you explain why anything will be different for Correa's market next year?

If he rakes and carries Twins to the playoffs I could see it, but that is unlikely. More likely is 2022 is similar to 2021 but maybe he isn't as dominant defensively.

Why exactly will he get a 10 year deal next year? or a 7 year deal at some extreme AAV?

9. conquistador#11

10. Victorious

Victorious Member

What would be the Rockets equivalent of not matching Correa to the twins?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets had let Tracy McGrady walk in 2007 instead of giving him another 3 year deal.

Victorious likes this.
  12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

On the East Coast, Houston is considered a sort of a meh/joke city. It's weird but places like Atlanta and even Dallas have better reputations. I've never understood it, and most people can't pin any exact reason behind it. I mean most people don't even know Beyonce is from and grew up in Houston and she has never played it up to help the Houston image.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Nick, word of advice, stick to the Kirby ****show and keep the Astros out your mouth

15. Yordan The Great

Wtf is wrong with you people?

We had 5 year 160 guaranteed on the table and word was we were negotiating even more (maybe in years or average annual pay).

It had nothing to do with Crane .

It had all to do with this dumb **** Correa.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because the Astros ****ed this up. If we didn't offer more money with an opt out than I have no confidence in what they are doing.

The Beard and Kim like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

5 / 160 is a terrible deal for him for his prime years only. He ends up a free agent when he can't maximize future value.

MLB salaries are weird - players get underpaid their first 5-7 years, then have a window to maximize their income. You can do it two ways: leverage your prime years to get paid more early (the guys like Tatis who sign a long-term deal early); or leverage your prime years to get paid late in your career (the typical long FA deal that underpays the first few years and overpays the end and gets people into their late 30s).

The one thing you DON'T do is only get market value for your prime years. So Correa either needs a short contract to maximize another free agent contract or a long contract to cover his later years. He'd be an idiot to sign a 6 year deal unless he's getting overpaid for those 6 years ($35-$40/yr). Neither he nor his agent are stupid.

Wulaw Horn, davidio840 and Kim like this.
  18. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Yeah, I'm struggling to make sense of this from the Astros' perspective. Disappointing and painful outcome. Best wishes to Correa on his (likely 1 year) stint in Minnesota.

Correa is an elite SS, but it's his "f**k all ya'll" LEADERSHIP that I'll miss the most.

On the bright side, the Astros should still be a top 5 - 7 team in MLB, this season and beyond. They'll still be heavily favored to win the AL West and in the playoffs, anything can happen.

davidio840 likes this.
  19. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

The opt out uncertainty was obviously the issue. Astros needed Correa to commit for multiple years so Pena could be traded.

Elienator likes this.
  20. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton Member

Me thinks Correa didn't get that big money deal because of his tarnished image from the cheating scandal which Carlos probably led along with Cora and Beltran. Boras probably convinced Correa to do this deal for one year to distance himself from the Astros in an effort to improve his image. I hope they boo Carlos in Minnesota and everywhere else. Good riddance, couldn't stand his personality plus he gets injured often. Also, what kinda kinky crap is Carlos and his wife into...wife the dominant and Carlos the submissive. Cracked rib from a massage my ass. Yeah I said it.

Move Bregman to short stop...problem solved.