1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Way too early draft poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Feb 23, 2022.

?

If available, who should the Rockets draft?

1. Jabari Smith

123 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Chet Holmgren

120 vote(s)
    44.1%
  3. Paolo Banchero

19 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Jaden Ivey

6 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. AJ Griffin

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Trade pick

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I suspect there wont be another KD just like there hasnt been a new Lebron for the past 16 yrs.

But Jabari as a PF version of Klay Thompson is already good enough for no 1 IMO

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm confused by the KD / TMac comparisons. Smith isn't good at creating for himself (an area where KD and TMac are all time greats) and only shoots 43% at 6'10" because he settles for threes and tough mid-range shots while getting 30% of his layups and dunks blocked when he does go inside.

What exactly does he have in common with them besides being lanky and having a jumper?

apollo33 likes this.
  3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He shares the ability to get his shot off over any defender due to his length and high release. He seems to have similar passing ability on his drives also given his length and vision.

I’m not saying he’s going to be as good as either, I was asking another poster if he thought Smith would be that dominant as he had stated he would trade half the roster for him :D

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'm worried Smith will just be a slightly better Jaren Jackson Jr

I'm also worried Chet will be a homeless man's version of Evan Mobley.

Honestly the only safe pick looks like Banchero and even he has health issues. This draft is going to be a weird one.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No way Chet will be a lesser Mobley. Both super elite defensively. And Chet offensive game is already more advanced, special with 3 pt shot and handles.
    Chet is a rare prospect that has a high floor of being an elite 3&D big at worst with upside being a top 5 player in the league

Corrosion likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

a slightly better JJJ is great . The dude has been hurt , but still looks like a player if he can stay healthy .

JJJ without injuries and getting development time would be an awesome outcome .

Id take that over homeless mobles

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea I didn't get the slight that he/she was trying to achieve there. JJJ is a very very good defender and he's had to not only bounce back from injury but is also competing for shots after Morant (rightfully so), Bane and Dillon Brooks. Credit to Taylor Jenkins and Morant for being able to get 4-5 players 10+ shots a night but if JJJ was put in a 2nd or 1st scoring role I think he would thrive. Plus the dude is still only 22 years old.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

All of the talk about Chet being a cant miss prospect despite the obvious concerns about his body reminds me an awful lot of the "Jalen Green is the second coming of MJ/Kobe" talk from last summer. There is no certainty when it comes to any of these guys and its a fact that many of Chet's best games have come against guys NBA prospects should dominate. Im not saying that Holmgren wont meet these lofty expectations but the reality is he likely wont. Because few guys ever do.

groovemachine likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

the issues here is you actually believing in the CF's MJ/Kobe talk. nobody credible ever compared JG to them. just because cf's likes to make up silly nonsense doesn't make it valid

steddinotayto and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Chet is playing in a soft league against teams like ITT Tech.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet has performed on big stage against the best in the world.
    And he’s done well against true bigs and good teams in college.
    If anything Banchero is more closely positioned to Green, a late bloomer with supposed elite offensive game that hasn’t translated. Banchero has a body. The only thing that’s the same between Chet and Green is they’re both skinny.

Corrosion and steddinotayto like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And he’s also been MVP of international tournaments.
    On top of playing well against good teams in college

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the slight is that this is the #1 pick we are talking about.

14. steddinotayto

Given the statements you made:

-slightly better JJJ
    -homeless version of Evan Mobley
    -"safe pick" Banchero

There's no transcendent star at the top of this year's draft in your opinion....so why not go with a very good two-way player in the "slightly better JJJ"?

groovemachine and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Can't decide until we get our order; I hate to be focused on a couple of guys and then not get the chance

Bo6 and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s if those predictions are true.
    Chet isn’t going to be a homeless Mobley. He will probably have a similar impact first year simply because of his offense being further along than Mobley. Already similar level defenders

joshuaao and steddinotayto like this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

Idk who Zack Edey is but I liked what I saw from him when trying to watch Jalen Ivey play Saturday. Wouldn’t mind grabbing jabari smith & edey in the draft

We can’t compete with Tate or KMJ at the forward. They are just to small. We need a real power forward. Chet looks good but also looks like he’s a ankle roll away from snapping in half so I’d rather go smith

joshuaao and groovemachine like this.
  18. sydmill

sydmill Member

I never believed the Green hype. Funny thing is that many of those same incredible posters are singing Holmgren's praises...

You'd have to be a bum not to perform well against teenagers at 7 feet tall. That's who he was playing in all of his international competitions. Chet is no bum. The question is whether he is worth a top 2 pick?

groovemachine likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's just your assumption and using the word incredible is another one of your issue type of things

cmoak1982 and sydmill like this.
  20. steddinotayto

Oh I'm with you. I don't think Chet is going to bust. At worst he's a Marcus Camby--not a whole lot of offense but can anchor a team's defense in the middle--and that's not a bad thing. But his movement from what I've seen is too fluid and his ball handling is very good for a 7'0". I just didn't get really get the statements because Banchero is far from the "safe pick".

Corrosion, clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.