1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Clippers 2/17/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 17, 2022.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Everyone else recovered from that shellacking last night?

there is something really goes bad at halftime for us virtually every game.

napalm06 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  2. sirjesse

Supporting Member

And reading down the updates from @Clutch , he ponders how do we surround Sengun with four defensive stalwarts if Sengun becomes the starting center down the road. My response would be his defense is going to have to pick up or he is a rotation piece. We cannot be rebuilding and part of the equation show up as how do we cover up someone’s lack of defense at the rim protector position.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Not wrong. Players like Jokic become liabilities in the playoffs because they get dragged out into space and abused. Theyre cute regular season players but in the playoffs you need to be able to defend in space. This is my fear with Al-P. He has a bad fouling habit and he will get shredded by slashers in space.

I'm much more concerned about Al-P at this point than Green. I love the kid and his moxy but I do wonder what the precedent is for this type of player making an impact on a championship level squad.

napalm06 and sirjesse like this.
  4. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

I think Green's minutes were fine. 30 minutes, second night of a back to back, garbage time late. He's 20, thin build still, first season of the NBA grind. Don't want to run him into the ground. Sengun with only 14 minutes is a little questionable though.

5. sirjesse

Supporting Member

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I guess the worries about appys D are understandable ... but ppl worrying that do realize we are currently starting wood at c yeah ?

7. sirjesse

Supporting Member

I view Wood as one heckuva sixth man. He can give you a real quick offensive punch when you need it, that is his thing. Both him and Sengun are backup center worthy defensive players, which is I believe the main reason we are so bad defensively. It is far from just them though. If the ball makes it around the court just once side to side in a half court set we are almost guaranteed to have a missed assignment somewhere. The atrocity of a defense is a team effort for sure. It is to be expected with so many twenty year olds on the court.

I believe both wood and Sengun have a place in this league as a rotation piece on a playoff team. I just wrestle with the thought if there is room for both of them in Houston at the same time. There may be….but back to @Clutch point, they need some major help. We are still looking for our starting center. Sengun may grow into that but he is years away.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Wonder how long before the inevitable "They told me to tank" 60 minute piece from Silas..

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

That's been my concern with Sengun as well.

His interior defense has to get a lot better.

sirjesse likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

sengun to me should be starting next year. you have to give him a chance to get real experience and see how his body holds up .

I dont mind taking it slow with young big men , but we are taking it slow with him this year ... so speed it up next one.

the funny thing was ... we had a passable defense with theis / tate/ and kpj earlier in the year .

Sengun just needs to get to a solid level.

Green and Wood are very poor defnders .. at least green can get better .

if green /tate / kpj are solid then thats only 1 more piece you need to put next to sengun. An Ariza / covington type could be a good fit.

I am really dont on wood though. I think hes closer to out of the league than good sixth man. Isiah Hartenstein made him his b**** last night

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. conquistador#11

Sengun can be an excellent post defender so you draft someone who can alter shots at the rim along side of him, switch matchups when you have to. Even slow footed wingspan giants cause havoc in the paint, Shawn Bradley etc. Now imagine someone who is fluid, agile and has a 7'6 wingspan that can shoot 3s when necessary.

Sengun
    Chet
    Wood
    Green
    KPJ

30 minute a night 6th man= Tate.
    Tyus Jones the addition in free agency.
    Gordon returns for more fun.
    Josh backs up Green.
    Matthews your 50ft marksman.
    Martin backs up PF and SF

On a separate note, I listened to the 4th qtr on the radio. Green hits a three and Matt Thomas is losing his mind then immediately follows it by...'The rockets down 30."
    That was funny to me.

#612 conquistador#11, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yea even if stamina is an issue. Sengun is a better team player. Wouldn't say 10 times better but I get the sentiment

14. TimDuncanDonaut

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no it wasnt the sentiment ..it was a literal statement

its better to have 1 alpi on the team than 10 Christina Woods

btw even if stamina is an issue its on silas....
    how come you cant get conditioning of the players right? (and its not like he got alpi yesterday, he was here half a year now....perhaps alpi has cancer they are not telling us about? lololol)

cant teach players to shoot FTs?
    cant teach them to set proper screens?!
    cant teach them to shoot 3s?
    cant do the proper conditioning???!!!
    what you good for then?
    @J.R.
    [​IMG]

#615 hakeem94, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    J.R. and clos4life like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's called the other team making adjustments and our team having the IQ of a potato and the intensity of a plush doll.

daywalker02 and sirjesse like this.
  17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

this game was so bad I fell asleep

daywalker02, Os Trigonum and sirjesse like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is going to real dark before there will be light.

sirjesse likes this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't know, hes a cheap coach hire for tilman. But at least now u aren't being delusional with sengun stamina not being an issue. Man is still huffing and puffing as he tries his best.

20. sirjesse

Supporting Member

Mission 2023 baby. Pretty sure after next year, we have our two high lottos and a max agent or two, and attempt to right the course since we owe OKC in 2024.

daywalker02 likes this.