1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by i3artow i3aller, Nov 13, 2020.

1. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

His rim protection. He can take physical punishment from bigs and still easily block their shots. He also can switch onto guards, and while he struggles to stay in front of quick/shifty guards, he can easily recover with his length and block/alter their attempts.

On top of that, he can get his shot off over anyone. The idea of him being able to develop the post fade/mid-range dagger (ala durant/dirk) is intriguing to say the least.

I guess I should reiterate, he should be the Rockets top pick if we have #1. We need defense after drafting Jalen over Mobley, and Paolo is not a given there. I'm going (1) Chet (2) Smith Jr. (3) Paolo...

Smith's lack of handles and playmaking turn me off of him. Chet seems to have solid foundation in both of those areas too. He seems truly unique to me.

PLUS

He doesn't like to be called a unicorn

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

9 of his 23 points came off 3s

If a 7 footer blocking a shot and dribbling full court with a euro step finish doesn’t impress you I don’t know if you can be impressed by Chet.
    That game last night was as good or better than any game Paolo or Jabari have put up.

Nook, D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When has he showed he can take physical punishment from NBA type bigs?

When has been asked to switch, let alone on NBA level guards?

My biggest question can he create his own shot and then do it at an NBA level because we have not seen it in college, you seem to be projecting a lot that has not been proven.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Watch film. You’ve said it yourself you haven’t watched him. You shouldn’t comment until you do.
    You can’t find film of him getting beat, and you for sure can find film of him playing against elite bigs

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude wtf are talking about?

I am very impressed by Chet, this is what is wrong with you, just because I have questions you think I am anti. I am not like you, willing to **** on everybody else just to pump my guy up.

I don't have a guy I and would not hate on any of the 3 if they are picked by the Rockets.

And no that game was not more impressive than anything Smith and Banchero have done, you are delusional.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re so full of crap. Every chance you get you claim Chet has no offensive potential and is a 3&D in the league or will get hurt with his frame.

You can’t find a single real quote from me denigrating Paolo and specially Jabari.
    You’ve said yourself you haven’t watched Chet play but still have something to say on him……..non stop.
    And yes, last nights game was as good as any game Paolo or Jabari have put up.
    No one is going to agree with you on that subject

7. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

I understand your point, but we have to remember that we're looking at potential here.

Sure, Paolo and Jabari have NBA-ready bodies, but there are a lot of good to great NBA players that weren't ready to go at it with the pros right off rip.

The biggest discrepancy b/w the college game and the NBA is that, in college, there is much more of an emphasis on team ball and listening to the coach. Whereas in the league, players are given more freedom to run their own action and create for themselves. This is another STRENGTH of Chet's. He is learning to play within the flow of the game and has began to be more assertive in recent games. He is learning to be disciplined within a great college team/offense and from a great college coach.

ALSO,

If this isn't creating your own shot (against a subpar NBA defender mind you), then i don't know what is

[​IMG]

I DO KNOW that Smith doesn't have those handles. Paulo might.

As has been stated, the game is significantly less physical than the 80's and 90's. So he'll be more than fine as he develops.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He'll break his leg and ankles going against grown men.

9. ballgame

ballgame Member

I LOVED everything about that move except his weak behind fell down at the end!

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Saw this posted on r/rockets by u/ST012Mi. I've seen it posted before, but for those that want to hope/drool/whatever :

[​IMG]

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

As time goes on, I'm leaning towards Chet more than my initial pick of Banchero, but Holmgren fans should be scared because I was sort of Team Mobley before settling on Team Green at the very end, too. :D

That being said, many people that are frightened by Holmgren's body type aren't scared because of him getting posted up by Artis Gilmore and Mark Eaton as much as they are the body breaking down. But I guess if they can put 20-30 lbs on Manute Bol, they probably could put this dude on a BBQ and lard shake diet to "beef" him up a bit, too.

D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Started out Banchero, went to Smith, and then have been flip flopping between Chet and Smith. Chet and Smith should work well with a lot of different teammates if they pan out. I do see Chet as the high variance pick this year like Green was last year (i.e., higher chance to bust, but higher ceiling).

Last year, I would have given Detroit 4 picks for Cade.

RasaqBoi and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Playing on ESPN vs BYU (12 minutes left in first half)

15. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

He’s playing great again. Dominates the paint defensively

cmoak1982, i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not nice saying Steph is not a grown man.

True, but still not nice.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

13 points/10 rebounds/4 blocks at the half

D-rock, cmoak1982 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

F it, I don’t care about the fit with Sengun. Make something work.

I want Chet.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Mama…. There goes that man

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I like what I see. Obviously, he needs to add weight but he's skilled, passes well, can shoot the 3 and he plays effective defense.