1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He will need some time in Kokomo.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. I hope he heals quickly from the surgery. With luck, some minutes will be available with the Rockets by the time Usman can play again. Fingers crossed that it's true. @jayhow92 ought to edit the thread title by adding, in parenthesis, (Garuba out with injury!). Something like that, in my opinion. Do poor Usman a solid, OP.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who knows about coaching but Garoupa isn't an A list prospect or else he wouldn't have lasted to pick 21.

The most likely outcome at that draft slot is not great or even good (as opposed to #2, which is why people are disappointed with Green) - nothing that Garoupa has done so far has changed that prior conviction for me, and lol @ the people arguing 'he played for Real Madrid so he MUST be good" - wrong sport.

But, let's hope he makes a full recovery and provides Chetbari Parkchero with some competition in 23.

#283 SamFisher, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    HP3 and Nook like this.
  4. caneks

caneks Rookie

so Silas was assistant coach and developped Lebron and Curry, yet he decided to leave those teams and joined other team as an assistant. does it make sense to anyone?

aaquaa likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he become bored with greatness so decided to start from the scratch?

aaquaa likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

So 12-16 weeks then, cool. ;)

Get well Destiny!

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Irritating timing, but not worried for Garuba. Should work on nothing but his 3pt shooting between now and next season. He's really too good defensively to not become a starter in this league. He paid a big chunk of his buyout so you know he is extra motivated and betting on himself. Hopefully we see him healthy before the end of the season.

9. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Minimum 3-5 years in our system. Be sure he gets access to Dream and John Lucas.

His final evaluation should be 21 or 22 unless they just see nothing in practices or on the side courts. If there is no desire to be a basketball player then they should move on.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

How about we just CTRL+H Garuba into this thread?

Not saying that being crappy and not earning minutes guarantees that Garuba is going to be a star someday, just that all talents develop at their own pace. The Suns have already seemingly been burnt pretty bad by giving up on Jalen Smith after his rookie year, and could easily lose a lottery pick with some upside for nothing in free agency.

One thing that worries me when watching Garuba play both in summer league and in the G-League is that his athleticism and coordination are definitely world class, but nothing he does looks smooth. It kind of reminds me of when I've seen football players try to play basketball. Everything he does is explosive and violent, which works really well when he's the point of attack on defense, or the primary helper. But on offense, NBA caliber players have a level of control, instinct, and economy of motion that you just don't see with Garuba yet. Capela never actually got there to being a guy who really adapted to playing in a diverse system next to another big man; he is just one of the absolute best at the P&R and finding space in the Dunker spot.

If Sengun is truly the future of the Rockets as the offensive focal point, he's going to need instinctive and opportunistic cutters and shooters surrounding him to take advantage of his otherworldly passing and vision. Developing that sense of what to do on offense, and anticipating what both the defense and your teammate is going to do is a skill that I'm not sure you can truly develop at the same time as also picking up a 3-point shot, tightening up your handle from being "good at open court dribbling" to "able to create off a standstill", and becoming an anchor on defense. Missing the majority of practice time and the G-League season is not going to help much in this regard.

topfive likes this.
  11. jacoby

jacoby Member

3-4 weeks away now. Is there any hope he will see the court again this season?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The only reason I’m a bit down on garuba is that he looks small .

I don’t think he’s 6’8” with a huge wingspan prototypical PF monster .

he looks more like Khris Middleton 6’6 or 6’7” with OK length .

now ... that just means he’s more of a 2/3 defender than a 4/5

hopefully he gets his shot going and learns to finish at the rim at the nba level . Will prolly take a couple of years .

still a good prospect and has a pretty high ceiling . he looks a little stiff too . Just gotta hope our player development comes through with him and he puts in the work . Seems professional and mature and smart .

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure how tall he is, but his reach surprises a lot of players, he gets boards, and blocks. At times he looks awkward/stiff (usually when he's going to try to score himself), and other times he looks fine (e.g., catching and passing to someone else quickly). Not sure what to make of him offensively, but defense usually looks good.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

low skill and not athletic

guys were talking like’s prime Mutumbo on D tho

GotGame15 and Fulgore like this.
  15. SamFisher

16. HP3

HP3 Member

17. SamFisher

I don't know, actually. I knew there's a movie called Trumbo starring Bryan Cranston that sometimes shows up in my netflix or Amazon queue that i never watch, and that somehow caused me to see if there's a Trumbo in the NBA - and there was, and he's Spanish big man!

Some spooky ****

HP3 likes this.
  18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

He is 6'8".

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/9G2...ads/chorus_asset/file/22791471/1234682254.jpg

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

6'6" is the PERFECT size for a Rockets PF

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good because 6'5 was the perfect size for a Rockets Center.