1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic - Kelly Iko] Rockets Trade Deadline notebook 1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 24, 2022.

1. alethios

alethios Member

It will probably take 3 or more teams to get it done.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At least he's consistent on the court (constant whining, throwing up arms in disbelief) and off the court (constant complaining, arms most likely thrown up in disbelief from time to time).

D-rock and Nook like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

If we do anything this deadline, I hope it's get Gordon to a contender while getting a first for him. Gordon is certainly worth a contenders first for both sides.

D-rock and Htown's Finest like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Of course.

Deal Gordon and Tate for a couple #1's with something like top 10 protections and then move Wood for assets as well, perhaps a #1 and a young player on a rookie deal.

The Rockets then will lose more games and maximize their draft position and will be in a position to trade or move up in the draft.

2022 Miami #1
    2023 Bucks #1
    2024 Nets #1
    2026 Nets #1

5. steddinotayto

Flip four 1sts (2023 Minnesota, 2025 Minnesota, 2023 Milwaukee, 2024 Brooklyn) along with Jalen Green and KMJ for Jayson Tatum. Build your team around Tatum/Sengun.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Kelly Iko I am sure will soon tell us multiple teams are interested in John Wall.... but the Rockets want him to mentor the young players.

What a joke, no one "wants" John Wall.

7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

[​IMG]

luckyman76, D-rock and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Interesting.

You have a better shot at Jalen Brown though.

luckyman76, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  9. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

What are the chances that the Lakers are forced to send a First for Wall and to dump Westbrook?

Every failed LeBron superteam always blew it up at the deadline, happened many times with the cavs, and that's the only move for Westbrook I can see.

10. steddinotayto

Honestly I love Brown moreso than Tatum but I think Tatum has another level he hasn't reached yet. I'd throw in more picks/swaps if needed.

Easy, D-rock, Milos and 1 other person like this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Just like I predicted, Wood has no significant trade value because of his outbursts and EG is getting paid too much for contenders to trade salaries and a FRP for him.

We might be able to scam the Lakers with Wall for Russ deal though, I'll take even multiple 2nds at this point. Only the Lakers are dumb enough to blame the entire season on Russ when it's LeGM's own fault for trading away their depth.

cheke64 likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Iko said someone wants Wall in the sense that they want to give the Rockets something for him. Other teams may dislike what they have more than they dislike Wall (possibly Lakers) or be interested in seeing if Tilman is interested in saving money at the expense of picks.

13. xaos

xaos Member

Why don't you wait until Feb 10th to gloat about a trade that has not happen yet.

ThrillaNManilla and D-rock like this.
  14. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

Idk guys, I hear he have a first round pick lined up for Olidipo.

it’s looking good

BigMaloe, slothy420, D-rock and 7 others like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

We will see. I just don't see anyone having any interest.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't heard anything from anyone that I trust claiming that Westbrook would be dealt from LA to HOU with a #1 for Wall. It just doesn't make sense to me. Wall hasn't played all year, and if you look at Wall's deep numbers from last year, he didn't play well either. So I just don't see why the Lakers would want to give up the little assets they have to add Wall when they could use that same pick to trade for someone like Covington or another player to help. The best bet for the Lakers is to hold onto Westbrook and add to the existing team and hope that Westbrook helps in some way, even if it is as a bench player.

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not every bottom of the draft FRP is Jaygup.

Would you trade Eric Gordon for Ty Jerome or RJ Hampton?

I'd hope the answer is no.

luckyman76 and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I'd trade Eric Gordon for RJ Hampton if I had a team trying to get deep in the lottery.

Father Time is undefeated, by the time the Rockets are good, Gordon will not be good... and there is still a chance Hampton becomes a good player.

Having said that, late firsts are not as valuable as 3-4 years ago, but they still have future value in trades and can be used to move up in a draft or to get players that fit what the Rockets may need in a year or two..... it also depends on how strong your player development department is.

luckyman76, Y2JT and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I LMFAO everytime I see that EGo is blocking Green's development.

Green is a rook starter and averages over 30 mins at SG.

EGo is actually the one playing out of position at SF.

If anyone is blocking Green, its Green.

And blocking Jaygup as well. Both play the same spot - SG.

The reason Sengun and EGo facilitates so much on 2nd unit is because neither Jaygup or Green are ready for that role.

Please stop this asinine narrative that Gordon is blocking Green's development.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Landry's gift cards

Williamson and D-rock like this.