1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Joe Buck just unfriended you

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

While it will sting with Correa signing with the Dodgers or Yankees, hopefully getting Story will take some of that sting away. These two teams just don’t care about cap lol and it still doesn’t guarantee getting to the WS. I don’t get it.

Anyways… Maybe Peña develops into a star, maybe we are able to extend Yordan and Tucker to big deals, maybe we ramp up the rotation/bullpen a bit more, and maybe we fix whatever holes at the deadline to get this team back to the playoffs.

I’m sure Crane and Click will engineer some big moves after Correa bolts.

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

besides Cole, who else they been giving huge contract for the last couple of years as far as FA?

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They took on Stanton's contract. DJ was pretty sizable. The took on ARod's contract and signed him to a new one. The gave CC a huge contract. They signed Jeter to a 10 year contract when he was due. My point is NYY has never been shy about giving a player a big long contract if they think it's worth it. They tend to lock up star infielders.

RKREBORN likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Whether it is the luxury tax, or the change from George to Hank, the Yankees aren't the big spenders they once were.

That said, they only have DJ/Stanton/Hicks/Cole under contract beyond this year, they could add another big contract. I don't see them not re-signing Judge, which would pretty much lock them into luxury tax for the next 5 seasons unless they can move Stanton (or Cole).

Astrofan59 and Rockets FTW like this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

If the Yankees let their hero Judge walk (or pay him less) and prioritize the hated Correa, the fans will either revolt or confirm their base hypocrisy. I'm going to bet on the latter, but the revolt will be just under the surface ... one slump, and he will be public enemy number one. I hope he understands that.

I am optimistic he does, and Boras will negotiate a short, high AAV contract with a dual opt-out.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

FIFY

8. rockbox

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/new-york-yankees/

They've consistently spent money. They have kept up with the Dodgers since their new ownership took over but they still spend tons of cash.

9. rockbox

Tucker will get paid but not FU money like Correa or Cole.

10. juicystream

They spend, but not like they did. They were #1 in payroll forever, but that stopped in 2014. Their payroll has stayed relatively flat since 2005 despite inflation and to despite new tv deals. In 2005, they outpaced the #2 team by about $80M. They were spending 75% more than the next closest club. If they spent like they did back then, their payroll would be well over $300M today.

rockbox likes this.
  11. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

I think resigning Judge and bringing in Correa would be pretty difficult.

Cole, Stanton, LeMahieu, and Hicks combine to make $90 mil through 2026. Add in Correa and Judge for roughly $65 mil more and that's $155 million. Unless they just blow through the luxury tax it would be tough to imagine this happening.

12. juicystream

Exactly why I think they'd have to move somebody (likely Stanton) to make it work. I would be stunned if they signed Correa.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think that bringing in Boras brings credibility for Correa.

He and Click can negotiate a HUGE but workable deal with an exceedingly high AAV and opt outs.

If Boras tells Correa it's the best he will get then it's much more likely than some Hollywood agent telling him.

AND Boras might love the idea of negotiating ANOTHER record breaking deal for him in 3 years.

And can tell him this.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Gotta let him go.

[​IMG]

16. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Decent restaurant. Good sign that the wife is there. I think she is pro-Houston... and if not, then she'd go for the glamour of NY or LA, and both of those locations have issues with signing Correa. She is probably sour on Chicago, Philly, Detroit... Miami remains a dark horse candidate.

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Jeter out in Miami, which means they are back in contention.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correa is smart enough to avoid front offices that don't seem aligned. Maybe Ng really does wield all the power there and they will now move forward with a unified vision under her guidance... but Carlos probably still wants to go to places slightly more stable, especially if he's going to be the centerpiece.