1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Expanse Season 6

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Oct 11, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok that makes sense, were those the Martians who threw in with Marcos?

I would love some Expanse movies, they could be badass.

Maybe this is good that they ended there because it seems not enough stuff go boom was gonna happen any time soon.

Which was already an undercurrent of this season.

The space battles where always good that's why I think they could make movies.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Yep, those were the rogue Martians that sold to Marco. They got wind of the alien graveyard from the scientists and beelined for that colony.

The space battles were a gem in this show. Their depiction in keeping the physics as real as possible was eye candy. Seeing the rounds tear through ships like cannonballs with minimal explosions was beautiful. I wish the show could go on.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah and we got another great headshot.

I forgot how they could go there when they wanted.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I figure it is all for a spin off

Rocket River

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

The Dora stuff was from the Novella following the 6th book. They had included other stuff from the pst novellas as well such as the guy who figured out the Epstein drive.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Started watching Season 6 and haven't read this thread since the first page. I'm holding off reading more to avoid spoilers
    I'm through the first 4 episodes and so far pretty good and better than seasons 4 and 5. Having read the book that much of the events of this season deal with I'm looking forward how they tie a bunch of threads together in the remaining two episodes.

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Final season was really good, those last two episodes are going to leave you wishing they would have just continued the series...

Hopefully it comes back, TWD is on season like 12..... Its been dead for years and thou a totally different genre The Expanse deserves to continue...

clos4life likes this.
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So I stumbled across some of these videos by an astrophysicist going over some of the science in The Expanse.

It makes me appreciate the show's realism even more. He has a few more videos on the show and they're all a fascinating watch.

jiggyfly and Salvy like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Also thought the Camina ****ing Drummer arc was well done. It was like she retired, finally paid off a boat, livin free and wild with her orgy family, then her mentor gets capped and her trainwreck of a soulmate is knee deep in ***** creek.

They really saddled her with the hard choices.

Was wrong on how Fillip turned out but still mostly skipped his scenes. Holden disabling the warhead is Holden-esque (to the point only Bobbie could laugh about it after hard drinking) but yeah, I think people would hate Holden more than respect him if half his moves didn't pan out...like the person we need but don't deserve, yada yada

The end reminded me of a certain show where wormhole aliens saved the day and stopped an invading fleet. The villain commander goes nuts when his kid dies. Maybe they flip the last bit. Flip...get it?

#49 Invisible Fan, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Finished it last night and good ending. Having read the book Babylon's Ashes which most of this season is based off of I already anticipated the ending but wanted to see how they handled it. I'm glad to saw wasn't disappointed and visually one of the best space battles I've seen.

I do have a couple of criticism though. One is that the B Story is interconnected from the main story. One of the great things about Season one of the Expanse are that the B and A story, Miller's investigation and James Holden's going from 2nd officer on an ice hauler to the most pivotal person in the system come together. The two stories are on parallel tracks that ultimately reinforce each other. The two stories in this season never come together or even relate.
    The events on Laconia are interesting and become much more important in later events given how short this season was and this is technically the last season I found them distracting since there is no resolution, followup or even explanation of them. Having read some of the books the later books focus on what happens with Laconia and that story takes over. For this format they either should've found some way to tie what happens on Laconia even more back to the events in Sol or reduced it much more.

Besides that enjoyed season 6 a lot and hope they come back.
    In the books there is big time jump after the end of the events shown in Season 6 to the next book. It gives an easy break to reboot the series and if they wanted to bring it back with different actors. The later feel of the series changes from the hard science to more speculative and fantastical as the technology of the Ring Builders and the aliens that destroyed them plays more of a role.

jiggyfly and Squirtle like this.
  11. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Decent ending. I felt like 6 episodes is a bit rushed though. Although I've never read the books.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think they did the Laconia bit with an eye for continuing the series, I don't know if I would like it as much if the took out the space battles, those have been one of the biggest highlights for me.

Now I could get into a show just showing the colonization but that would be a big difference from what I like about exspanse.

The one thing I am going to miss is not getting a full explanation of what happened to the aliens who built the rings.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The Laconia storyline is actual essential to the leadup to season 6, hinted at in season 4 and a big part of season 5. Not spoilering since this is season 4 and 5.

In season 4 when Bobbie finds out that members of the Martian military are selling equipment to the Belters that is the group under Duarte that eventually goes to Laconia.

In season 5 Marco Inaros' group steals the Protomolecule sample form Fred Johnson on behalf of the Duarte's renegade Martians. They trade that along with the scientist from Season 2 who had been working on the Protomolecule to Duarte for Martian ships and technology. As shown at the end of Season 5 Duarte intends to activate and learn to use the technology left on Laconia by the Ring Builders for his own benefit. Following the events on Illus they know that Ring Builder technology can be activated by Protomolecule even if it is billions of years old.

I'll spoiler his part since it's in season 6
    Duarte gives Inaros the rail guns on the Ring Station but then abandons Inaros telling him he is not going to get any further help. This is because Duarte needed Inaros to tie up the UN and MCRN while he was getting established at Laconia. At Xan's funeral the scientist tells him that that they've gotten a response back which means that they've got the Ring Builder tech working. At that point Duarte doesn't need Inaros anymore.

For the Cara and Xan storyline that part isn't directly related to events happening back at Sol so while I think it was necessary to talk some about Laconia I'm not sure they needed to spend so much time on the kids. In the books though it is stated that the "dogs" that Cara talks about are actually biomechanical repair robots activated by the protomolecule.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Great write up, I need to go back and watch it, was a little confusing what all was going on in those last 2 episodes.

Don't know if I would like the bringing things back to life angle, but it would be interesting to know some of how it was accomplished.

But like I said, that would be a bit of a different show from what I liked.

clos4life likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Here's two good videos explaining what's happening on Laconia.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

I guess that's spoilers in case the show gets picked up again.

Didn't watch but zombie boy is a lot like Julie Mao. Not sure what the dogs are but don't have real interest until word of a revival to do the last three books come along

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What happens in the last 3 books that makes it so interesting?

I really need to read the books, but I have not read an actual book in a long time.

18. Invisible Fan

I'm not a book reader. Only know there's a time jump and it's all about the aliens.

jiggyfly likes this.