1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The KPJ experiment is a failure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe one day.

Right now he's nothing more than a tank commander. If not for his draft spot, he wouldn't be starting.

Both of our young guards have been just awful. That's why maybe we need to think about addressing that in the offseason.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

KPJ is playing his way out of the league. When you couple his off the court BS, with poor shooting, poor defense and lack of BBIQ, I don’t see a big future.

The Rockets have wasted enough time, they need to move on.

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

You do know he is scoring pretty well these days and shooting the ball pretty good as well. getting better each month

if you were left in charge, you would trade for draft picks every year, trading out the previous years draft picks in an endless cycle

Pistol Pete and DCHAMP like this.
  4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Trade deadline cant some soon enough. Of course Rockets will be waiting until the last milisecond to make trade before deadline is here.

DCHAMP and raining threes like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, his offense is alright....it's just overshadowed by how pathetic he is on defense. He really is on pace to have the worst defensive rating in the history of the league. It really can't be overstated.

A decent scorer who turns the ball over a lot and leads to more points for the other team isn't some amazing thing.

Right now neither of our young starting guards are net positives on the court. I think we should be as patient as possible with them, but it's just really hard watching them be so terrible night after night.

jcmoon likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am going to wait and see. He's had a few really bad games but you have to be patient and not too quick to judge.

He's definitely struggling out there, but I wouldn't pull the plug yet. He has the talent, he just has to figure it all out and I think it's definitely possible that he does.

RudyTBag and DaDakota like this.
  7. fattz

fattz Member

I truly don’t understand this, if helps both teams do business today.

slothy420 likes this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Was done with kpj at pg after the first week of the season. I could see he didn't have it at all as a lead pg.

I don't think it's as much of a a skill thing (although I am not sure he has the skills for a pg either) but more of a mindset thing.

He already gave up on being a pg when he said he was going to play scoot ball...whatever tf that is

Crashlanded19, jcmoon, Wommy and 2 others like this.
  9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Do you know who statistically was the worst defender tonight and it wasn't close................Garrison Mathews

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just said it’s glorious. That particular post was decently subtle. In a KPJ thread. You didn’t reference his name either. At this point you’re 100% at the top of your game.

harold bingo likes this.
  11. raining threes

KPJ isn't a PG and it shows in the inefficiency in the offense.

Time to give Christopher KPJ's run.

I'm hoping Stone picks the best of the top 4 in this draft and then trades backup into the lotto and drafts a true PG. (Ty Ty Washington) This will help Green develop.

12. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

But the thing is that Jalen Green has already shown a ton of improvements in the few games that we’ve seen him. He’s still a **** defender but he’s taking better shots and playing more efficiently. He doesn’t seem to have any attitude problems and is pretty unselfish in general—and he has a good feel for the game. Yes, right now he’s just a good scorer with poor defense who turns the ball over more than we’d like, but he’s literally played less than 40 games at the time of this post. And at 19 it seems like he really does have a special work ethic.

I wanted to see the same kind of improvements from KPJ, and I haven’t really seen it this year. He’s had great flashes but more often than not he has looked unsuited to playing point guard. Granted, KPJ is incredibly young too, with a lot of emotional baggage to overcome. But his and Green’s situations shouldn’t be remotely comparable

13. macho87

macho87 Member

Scoot his was out of the league

Crashlanded19, Dopamine and aaquaa like this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No but I think it is time to get the ball out of his hands as the primary creator. Try him at 6th man.

I don’t see a need to trade or waive him unless his conduct behind the scenes is toxic.

All evidence is though that the Rockets seem determined to give him more and more of a larger roll thinking that will finally get him going. I just don’t see it, but In also not one that thinks he needs to get booted ASAP. A different role, yes. He’s a pretty damn bad starting PG. I think we all should be able to objectively say that with confidence by now.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He may not be able to get out of his own way - him being an NBA player is not a guarantee, right now he looks more like a guy who will be done before he matures......that happens a lot.

We shall see, but his trend ATM is not good.

DD

jcmoon and macho87 like this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you are right man. I really hope so. Bold move by the Rockets to continue with this. We need to determine If there is a point where the development of KPJ begins to hurt the development of JG.

Crashlanded19, jcmoon and theDude like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They have to continue with it, they committed to doing it, and need to make a decision on him by the end of the year, right? So, this year doesn't matter - and unless he throws every pass out of bounds like he is prone to do, let him play through it.

DD

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His point guard play ranges from good on some nights to god awful on nights like tonight. In fairness, he faced some really great defense tonight. He's also 21 years old. I think they will stick with him at pg through the end of the year. He does seem to take a step forward and then a step back, but tonight it seems he got frustrated by the defense and hopefully that becomes a learning moment for him. He does seem to listen to his coaches - or tries to anyway.

Maybe. He's a volatile character - and that can go either way. The question is does he have enough talent to make it worth putting up with his emotional issues. Perhaps. Given his age, it seems that he will have time to develop for a year or two more at least. His maturity is emotional as opposed to work ethic so that's a bit of a positive.

I just think the verdict is still out on him. I'm not bothered by his flagrant foul 2 today. I'm more bothered he didn't get down the court on offense before the turnover that lead to the foul. Anyway, players are going to have really bad nights, he had his, and now what's interesting is to see how people adjust to these situations. How they handle criticism and if they can grow. And you can't really measure that from game to game but rather month to month. So we'll see what happens I guess.

jcmoon likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We already exercised his option for next year, right? But yeah, we need to see SOMETHING from KPJ this year that we can hang our hat on. That or we need Silas to have a long talk with KPJ about becoming the black Ginobili off the bench.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

What evidence do you have to think this?

Apart from the repeated instances which shows it wont?

BonziWellsGOAT and aaquaa like this.