1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 games out of the Play-in Tournament

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

One name can lead us to the playoffs.

He is currently shooting almost 50% from the floor and 45% from three.

Eric Gordon.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Seems we have enough data to know that Houston isn’t a destination for FA but it’s no OKC or Memphis either.

We weren’t exactly getting the bell of the ball of FA with Harden. Dwight Howard was the ultimate FA acquisition?

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Tanking is COMPLETELY reliant on luck. Rebuilding a team and not reliant on tanking doesn't. For instance, if Indy is trading Sabonis you know he's good and you know you might have a good deal. The GM can decide if its worth to give up this or that package for him and that's not a move reliant on luck.

Who says we have the talent? We're saying you play to win games. Hello. You don't play it to just play it. That's the great thing about sports: you play to win, and I don't care if you don't have any wins. You go play to win.

Like I said, you want to tank, then lets just play Theis two big lineups and watch the team struggle to score points. You think that's beneficial?

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Obviously.

Draft, trade, or FA are our means. Do high draft picks net a better player or worse than lower draft picks?

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's actually lower than that because you're having one pick in that top 5...

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No idea why you think this year is the year to make the Playoffs but I have patience.

The system of SIlas is nothing new. It is about spacing and shooting.

As long as they are shooting 3s, Rockets have the chance to go hot.

They are getting bunnies.

I will happen this year, it will happen next year and the year after.

They are just without Harden and CP3.

#66 daywalker02, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We'll see about that...but hey, what do I know...I remember saying a few things about Mobley to you that turned out to be right. Mobley and Sengun are better prospects than any of those guys.

Sometimes high draft picks turn out better, sometimes they do not. Our team is made of guys that aren't even high draft picks and as @hakeem94 likes to point out, we have a number 1 pick that doesn't even play for us.

The issue I have with the pro-tanking crowd is the complete confidence that if you tank you'll get there...like it really is that easy when it clearly isn't.

hakeem94 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Absolutely not, but play them and let the young bucks learn from them, before we trade them......well at least Gordon.....

Just let them play, I don't expect them to win much, but to be competitive is HUGE......so let's go for that.....because we don't need another rookie......to develop, we have 4 already.

DD

9. dmoneybangbang

Team building is completely reliant on luck. Hard to acquire a star FA unless there’s one available… just like drafting a star.

Sabonis is good but we’ve also watched him headline a mediocre Pacer team. Trading for Sabonis means we are cashing in some assets and now we have less assets to improve other spots. What does Sabonis really do for us?

Then what’s the point of winning if we don’t have the talent? So we can pat ourselves on the back? So we can like the noble Spurs? Barf

I want to rebuild over the two seasons in which we have our picks and while we still have Wall’s immovable contract.

10. dmoneybangbang

And doesn’t mean you are right here. You also argued heavily for Simmons and how is that going?

We don’t even have to draft anyone… we can merely trade the picks.

Savvy?

It’s not easy, but the compete crowd has this irrational confidence that we can just trade for or sign who we need. Was the case during the Harden era?

11. dmoneybangbang

Why is it huge? Do they hand out participation awards?

Who wants to be the Spurs anymore?

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Team building is not completely reliant on luck. A star FA comes or star comes free every year. The best organizations are consistently good for a reason, it isn't luck.

The noble Spurs built a franchise on the back of ONE top 5 player. One. The warriors on zero. The Heat have been consistently good the moment Pat Riley stepped into the building...that's luck to you?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because it teaches the young players how to win in the league.

There is no guarantee of championship - the only thing you can do is try to be a championship contender and let the chips fall where they may.

Tanking doesn't do anything but create a situation where players leave, give half assed efforts and create more losing.

We tanked, let's see what we got.

DD

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets are not among the best organizations now.

They are probably at 14th, above average.

Even the best organizations go through more than 1 seasons of losing, it is natural.

The Rockets just hold onto their Eric Gordons, Johnathan Walls, DJ Augustins a little longer than other franchises.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Then why have we only been able to lure Dwight Howard?

What organizations are consistently good? GSW drafted their players. Lakers went for high draft picks and traded. Denver drafted. Celtics drafted…. Heat drafted high with Wade.

Spurs tanked the year of Duncan….

We don’t have Pat Riley…. Or the GSW’s ownership.

16. dmoneybangbang

Lol, does it?

Just like how one and done NCAA programs are teaching kids how to play basketball?

17. dmoneybangbang

This. We aren’t the same Rockets under Tilly but yet we need to do the “Pat Riley” model.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean we'll see. I'd still trade for Simmons too, if he ends up going to the Spurs I'm going to enjoy watching a lot of people be wrong about him.

I mean sure...I'm the one saying we can trade for star players? You're the one implying that Chet,Banchero, Jalen will be elite front court players.

It actually was the case during the Harden era. Dwight was a big name FA, in fact the entire league was after him. This was (what we thought at the time) Prime Dwight, he chose Houston over LA...Chris Paul chose Houston. Westbrook chose Houston. This is not even counting all of the ancillary players that chose to come play with Harden.

I mean most of the guys Harden wanted to play with he got. Rockets didn't win a championship but it wasn't because of lack of star power.

19. dmoneybangbang

Sometimes a franchise needs a few years to reset and rebuild. Why are the Rockets so special that we don’t?

We literally lost Harden about a full season ago….

J.R. likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Was my argument that the Rockets right now are among the best organization? That wasn't my argument.