1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 games out of the Play-in Tournament

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I know it's only been 27 games, but for a team that started 1-16....this is insane.

Dare I say playoffs?!?

[​IMG]

2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Good thing our schedule gets alil bit tougher.

Ramo$e, BHannes2BHonest and apollo33 like this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk y folks would want 2 watch us get smashed in playoffs rather than the excitement of drafting another top tier prospect in the lottery.

Our team is literally riding Eric Gordon to squeeze our wins

4. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

The play in is such a dumb idea, we're only two games out of a potential playoff spot yet only one win ahead of drafting top 3.

5. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

We won 8 out of the last 10. If we keep that pace we are looking at 53/29 and that maybe 3-5 seed because the west sucks this year

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Too bad we have Sengun on the team and he's getting more minutes :cool:

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nah I love the play-in, makes more games relevant.

Watching half of the NBA tank for picks sucks for basketball. I like turning on to a random game and knowing both teams are playing for something, even if it's for a play-in spot.

8. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

The playoffs were bloated already, 16 of 30 made it in.

I'd say in any given year there are only 3-6 real tanking teams, then 5 "tanking teams" that pick 5-10 every year and keep coming up empty (Kings, Magic, formerly Knicks), then 4-6 teams trying to make the playoffs.

That hasn't changed, except the mediocrites now get the chance at two home playoff games.

Sengun's great, but betting the entire future of the franchise that he is a top dog on a title contender one day instead of betting on both him and a high draft pick is counterproductive.

On a side note, I've never seen so many mediocre teams in the league before, maybe because I never really paid much attention to them when we were good, but nearly 30 games in and there's 6-ish teams 5+ games over 500.

jcmoon and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Sengun will be better 5 years from now than Chet, Banchero, or any other big in this draft. The stuff this guy is doing at 19 is something else.

I don't get that excited about these picks, they are nice to have but I just don't believe in tanking to get them. I think we have a lot of nice prospects already and we can add more through the draft or just outright trade for a superstar. I mean if a superstar were to shake free this team has a chest of assets to throw around and will have more if they trade Ego for more assets and/or Wood...so yeah, I don't feel like this season is top 5 or bust...I also don't feel like any of those guys are generational can't miss prospects.

People always hype themselves for dudes that end up being really solid starters in the end. It takes luck to draft the next generational star, pure luck, and we shouldn't be running our organization on just hoping we get lucky.

I think this is a result of the play-in. Owners are not going to balk at extra home games to sell tickets and I bet Rockets players look at those standings and go "Oh wow...despite it all we are 2 games out..." and just naturally play a little harder because there is something to play for other than your own stats.

I think more high impact games is a good thing all around and that's why we keep seeing leagues try to implement more games or more playoff games because it's usually a good thing. I don't think it's a good thing for a team to be out of it a month into the season. Surely not good for the NBA. They want to sell more tickets and that includes tickets for teams that are just mediocre. I think the play-in just allows more of the league to be spotlighted and adds more importance to more games.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, you need elite front court players alongside Sengün.

This is not a 2 vs 2 team but needs a secksey 15 man roster.

To think Sengün is enough, is asinine and naive IMHO.

You always need fire power, Sengün proves he is great at things but scoring and shooting which will come but you can always need shooting.

Wood is not a long term solution IMO.

That is exactly why Morey was always after the 3rd star. He never gave up.

As much as I like Augustin and Eric Gordon, both are not the future. Lol.

This ain't even about proving a point that tanking does not apply but seizing the most out of a possibly better draft than the previous one with Green.

Just because Green was possibly a disappointment, you cannot give up. On the contrary, time to step on that gas pedal!!!!

If you cannot even see that, I am really sorry about it.

#10 daywalker02, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think it is as dumb but I do not think it is right for us. Matter or priority truly.

RIght now the Rockets are led by 26 year olds and 30 year olds.

Grizzlies are led by Morant and a young team.

That is the difference.

If Green and KPJ were running the team as starters and both are Allstars, okay, I think we can go for it.

Not with Mathews, Augustin, Ego, Wood, Tate running it.

Tuckankhamun and dmoneybangbang like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very sorry but building a team is greater than you and me. That is where vision come in.

That is where people get selfish and always prioritize their needs and wants.

You do not stop with Curry, you get Thompson and Draymond, never rest up.

Clutch actually approves.

#12 daywalker02, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    jcmoon and dmoneybangbang like this.
  13. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I like to watch basketball instead of losing on purpose to stack picks.
    So I want the team to give 200% like yesterday vs Hawks.

You can win and still rebuild when your young core takes less than 15% of the salary cap.
    Houston have FREAKING 80MIL in Wall, Wood and EG.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think people should stop being so averse to winning. Yes, another top pick would be lovely, but so is good basketball. Unfortunately we're riding Gordon who will likely not be here after the deadline, and who knows how well we'll play when Porter and Green are playing major minutes again.

However, if they come back and we're playing just as well, people are actually going to complain about that? That seems silly to me. If we're trying to win a championship we will need several pieces playing at an all-star level or above, I agree. With that said, we have so much young talent (with other picks to come), also we're likely going to trade Gordon and potentially even Wood.

I just don't get the complaining about winning; you can trade for another high level player, and we also don't know what we have from Garuba or Christopher yet.

Bo6, charlieaustin, hajkov and 6 others like this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Cause we hoopers around here dog. We play for keeps

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should be trying to win every game. Most of the time we will come up short, but there are valuable lessons to be learned from hard play and gutting it out like they did last night.

As it stands right now, the Rockets will have picks #5 and #20. They had to go 8-2 over their last 10 to even get that. They will not keep up that pace. Once the deadline arrives and Gordon is moved for picks (and maybe Wood, too), there will be plenty more losses racking up. The Rockets got very lucky with their draft spot last year. The odds are not great for the team with the worst record to get the top pick. The Rockets will have a good draft pick this year, and if there is a player they like a few spots ahead of them, they probably have the assets to move up to get him.

Enjoy the wins. They are fun. And there will be plenty of losses to ensure we have the opportunity to get a good player in the draft.

17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

So do all real basketball/sports fans. Ignore the tank losers, they're the ones who "play sports" on their Xbox.

hajkov and hakeem94 like this.
  18. WestendMassive

Thread title is too ambiguous. Can I get some instructions on how calm I should be?

hajkov and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. apatel123

apatel123 Member

"Asinine" lol

Are you Stephen A.?

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe there already was a two games out of play-in tournament thread

Rockets/Tilman/Stone need to decide by trade deadline (Feb 10th)
    as to whether the Rockets will be "Sellers" or "Buyers." Actually by
    Feb 8th.......game Feb 10th may be sitting guys so they don't get hurt
    and available for a specific trade.

So in looking at the schedule, barring major injuries: I say, 28 wins and 26 losses.

Me personally, that doesn't get the Rockets past the 7th seed high water mark and I'm a
    "Seller," but let's see what Tilman/Stone will do if the Rockets are 7th or 8th seed;
    which is usually where close to .500 gets you?