1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree he tries to do too much at times, he sees the game different than his teammates. When they all get on the same page I think there would be less turnovers.

aaquaa likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

Should have had 14 points in a ho hum night. 3 times he was opened by himself under the basket. 2 more times he sealed his man off, a mouse in the house. Never got the sureamatic pass or the entry feed.

aaquaa, hakeem94 and harold bingo like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its hard to play in 4 minutes spurts....NO RHYTHM.... hes treated unfair in comparison to jalen and scoot... they are given 35 minutes a night however they play and a free reign to chuck and err plenty.... hes not allowed to do that and is held down by silas

i wish they send sengun down to g league for additional PT.... you cant become reliable 3 pt shooter shooting 1-2 3 pointers a night and you cant get into any rhythm and flow of the game...its a small miracle what hes doing outthere given ridiculous PT

4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I fully agree with the rhythm part, the first paragraph. But g league is not the solution. G league is so much below his level that, he would rather shoot in the gym. He does not need just PT, he needs PT in the NBA, with nba bodies, nba quickness, nba refs, nba fouling. Even garbage minutes are not useful. Even actual minutes, where some guard refuses to make the entry pass are much less useful.

If he was not nba ready, g-league could be a good option. And the message it would give to the player, is really horrible. If I were Alperen, I would be depressed and very angry by now. Hope he copes better with it.

Tuckankhamun, hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Hot take: I think Alperen is (and will be) better than this former #3 draft pick Turkish player.

:cool:
    [​IMG]

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am really impressed with his maturity. Will take a while for him to "fit in." He isn't getting very many minutes. He is showing flashes of his future self.

hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am in love with his screens too, and it shows here. Where can i get these stats myself(deflection, screen assists)?

aaquaa likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahaha if only i knew i would have looked it up myself :D

AlperenSengun likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

harold bingo likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

15. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Iko on Sengun

https://theathletic.com/2987591/202...utes-and-jalen-greens-health-rockets-mailbag/

Now that we’re valuing spacing and avoiding two big lineups, which do you think is the more likely path for Alperen Şengün to get more minutes:

1) Şengün outplays Christian Wood, especially on the defensive end, and earns more playing time?
    2) Stephen Silas experiments with some Şengün-Wood lineups, especially against bigger teams? — Siddharth K.

Ah. The Alperen Şengün mob, live and direct. I salute the support.

Well, let’s start with the obvious: Wood is playing out of his mind right now — on both ends of the floor. The Rockets have won three straight and look vastly different than what we saw from them earlier in the season. Typically speaking, coaching staffs don’t like to mess with what’s working — a big reason why you’ve seen Daniel Theis glued to the bench during this stretch despite their original intentions for him.

Rockets fans have been calling for Şengün to start for a while, but if you look at how Houston has been playing and why it’s been winning, it’s one thing: The spacing has been excellent. Garrison Mathews and Armoni Brooks have given Kevin Porter Jr. more lanes to operate. They’ve given Wood more room to roam and cause havoc. As a result, the Rockets have been able to string some wins together and get their morale up.

Dual big lineups seem outdated. Theis and Wood were just awful together (getting outscored by nearly 22 points per 100 possessions in 295 minutes this season, per Second Spectrum), but Şengün and Wood aren’t that much better. That combo is a minus-11.6 together. Yes, Şengün is a young Turkish wizard and should be on the floor often, but the best version of Wood involves him occupying areas of the floor Şengün thrives in as well, albeit by different actions. You just can’t mix the two right now, not when Wood is thriving as the lone big stretching the floor like he is.

Şengün and Wood are just better served continuing in the staggered role they appear to be in now. Şengün’s 17-to-22-ish minutes a night have him playing against both second and first units, and he’s looked comfortable in either role. But honestly, with the way the Rockets are playing, I’m not even sure they would revert back to dual big lineups against teams that necessitated it. The reason for that is Wood just looks amazing at the five, and playing another big means pushing Jae’Sean Tate down to the small forward slot — and he’s much better served at the four.

Şengün is in a good spot. He has the trust of the coaching staff and players, and he’s on the floor a decent amount. The season is long. There will come a time this year where his minutes are ramped up. You all just have to be patient and enjoy some exciting, winning Rockets basketball while you can.

So, to answer your question, I would lean towards the second option, just for the sake of general rebuild, “screw it, let’s do it” stuff. But I think Şengün is staying in that current game-time slot.

apollo33 likes this.
  16. Sengun

Sengun Member

Wood is a good player, he can be an important piece of the teams playing for the championship and contribute to them, but he is not a superstar and will never be an All-Star who earn $35 million a year. So you should trade him and get good assets in return.

The future lies in Sengun. Not in Wood or anyone else.

Lovemachine2000 and aaquaa like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

One issue with playing Sengun as the only center is the lack of rolling to the hoop we get on PNR.

Sengun simply doesn't have the height and length to catch and finish in the lane like Wood can.

Sengun excels at postups and high post passing and attacking.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

KEEP BOTH OF THEM...you need deptH and versatility ALWAYS ...btw jokic is not a vertical spacer either...still MVP

jch1911 and aaquaa like this.
  19. Lovemachine2000

Can't play Kanter, won't play Sengun.

aaquaa and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  20. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

1. Wood doesn't set picks. How are you going to run the P&R consistently with him? A large percentage of Sengun's assists come from setting a great pick and just passing the ball to the shooter. That's money in the bank.
    2. Sengun is not bad at the P&R anyway. You will see if they run it with him a few times. What he lacks in height he regains in wingspan and speed.
    3. Even when the P&R is broken, he can score with his fakes and footwork. Baby Hakeem!
    4. From the small sample we have seen this far, we can conclude he has potential to be a good 3-pt shooter. This will ease his role. I'm sure he can make the pick & pop his bread & butter, a la Memo Okur of yore.
    5. He contributes to the offense in ways Wood can't even imagine. The team is more dynamic when the offense is run through him. (Hello Silas? Can you hear me?)
    6. Wood is not very good at defense. He hardly covers his guy, is zero at help defense, moves out of the way of cutters and drivers, shuns contact in general. Sengun is giving his body up every play and trying to cover for everybody else. (Hence high number of fouls.)
    7. Wood goes for rebounds while Sengun boxes out so a teammate will get the rebound.

I think I will make this list a template for later use.