1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Done (more than) pissed off the Okies. :D

raining threes likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You would have to pay me a lot to live in OK… and even recognizing that he’s getting paid a lot to leave OK and go to LA… still pretty shocked by that move.

odds say it ends up poorly for him but you never know, always bet on yourself, if he can revive USC he’ll be beloved and super rich in California (which is the only way to live in California).

Ottomaton and Pringles like this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think he’s gonna do very well there. Already recruited CA well.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah, im not saying its not possible, or i'd be shocked if he "turns them around immediately" just that outside the Saban's and Meyer's of the world, it seems harder than it sounds to come in and do that at some of these programs.

I think he's a very solid coach, and great recruiter... but I also haven't seen him outside of Norman, so who knows.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Coaches go to the highest bidder. Ignore how they seem to become an Aggie, a Sooner, a Tiger, or a Cougar. They will flip for dime. They will sell out for the bigger salary. The old school coaches weren't much different with some exceptions like Joe Paterno. And he got his statue torn down.

raining threes likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Riley could see the writing on the wall, it was going to be MONUMENTAL to win or challenge in the SEC, best leave and go to the Pac 12 where he can dominate, and get into the playoff every year.

SMART SMART MAN.

DD

TheRealist137 and raining threes like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. gucci888

Gotta disagree with you here. "Lateral" moves like this are very rare and coaches most often use openings for raises/extensions at their current school. From what I'm reading, Riley didn't even give OU the opportunity to match.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Aren't college coaches bound by their contracts?

If you suddenly decide to quit coaching in the middle of the season, that's one thing. But how can you just up and quit and then immediately become another team's coach when the current season isn't over yet?

10. gucci888

Short answer is no they are not. Almost all contracts contain a buy-out but it's usually not nearly enough to deter blue bloods from getting a guy they really want.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Again, we’re talking about living in Norman OK or anywhere in the LA metro as a multi-millionaire. I think you guys are vastly underestimating QOL improvement for the family.

tinman likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

This one surprised me, I am guessing that he really wanted this particular job. He is now in a state with a lot of talent but not a lot of instate competition and it is a program that has won in the past. The potential upside at USC is much higher but it is quite risky but he likely would have kept winning at OU.

Riley was someone that some expected to be a "lifer" at OU. He turned down head coaching jobs to be a coordinator at OU before Stoops retired.... so him leaving for what many think is a lateral job is surprising.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. gucci888

Read that Riley wasn't all that happy with OU's compliance office and lack of NIL opportunities. Hard to say how much since he was already recruiting as well as anyone out there but his style with Cali kids is a perfect match IMO. The other side is not wanting part of the SEC and having a much easier path the CFP once the move is made. Hell not to mention you are moving from Norman to LA.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Gotcha. That makes sense.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I am sure that matters some, his family for example may be excited about it.... but it is only one factor I would assume.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

To live in LA or Norman? Lol

Brando2101 likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

All he really has to do is get to the conference title game regularly and they wont give him grief. He'll do fine.

Will Venables FINALLY take a head coach gig?

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That’s because it’s rare that a school leaves a conference. I think we are severely underestimating the SEC angle here. It’s NOT that good of a move for a coach to have to deal with increased competition in the SEC. It will likely take years for OU to get its footing in the SEC and be able to consistently compete.

so what we are looking at is
    1. Better location
    2. New challenge
    3. Easier competition
    4. Equal if not better prestige if you win
    5. More money

honestly this is a slam dunk decision for Riley. It’s not a surprise that he didn’t give OU time to match. There was no point.

jiggyfly and gucci888 like this.
  20. gucci888

Yup a lot of reasons this wasn’t just a highest bidder scenario IMO.

Also a lot of smoke that Venebles to OU will be announced soon.