1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Nov 17, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If only Jonathan Feigen would show the urgency that fans do......and spice up his articles.:rolleyes:

hakeem94 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I hope it didn't have to take the firing of a coach with a 6-11 record this year to start evaluating our coach with a 1-16 record. But I guess better late than never or, in Silas' contractual obligation, in a couple of years.

4. Mr Chuck Norris

the "issue" he caused was being a devout Christian and expressing he was anti LGBT. thats why hes blackballed

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

imagine being 1-20 and the "pressure is turned up".

lmao we really gonna be 3-40 and Silas will just start being on the hot seat.

hakeem94, BasketMAD, Mr Woods and 2 others like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the writing is on the wall

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

John Lucas is worse

9. steddinotayto

I'm glad someone has the gonads to actually put this out there in the CF universe. Lucas' head coaching record outside of his stint in San Antonio is abysmal but people here are waiting for him to save the franchise like he's Gandalf the White

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Silas the Grey then.

12. MystikArkitect

Stone is partly to blame here for this roster not just Silas. Wood needs to be dealt as soon as possible. He doesn't fit this team at all. He would've maybe worked with Harden but the team would've given up 140 points per game with the defense those two provided. He's basically a non professional, immature, unaware Capela. Trading him would allow Sengun to start and Theis to come off the bench.

I want to see my dream lineup of KPJ/Green/Martin/Garuba/Sengun.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Sengun

Sengun Member

14. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

He's bad, but personally I want a stop gap coach that knows how to develop our rookies and then switch to a championship caliber coach later down the road

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? STONE is teaching defense?

WE ARE ROYALLY ****ED !

DD

16. Damion Laverne

Stone better get to work on Dec. 15 and start shipping guys out.

17. steddinotayto

I'm there with you; I just don't know if Lucas IS that stop-gap coach. You got an assistant in Hornacek that has experience in trying to build an offense without a legit pure point guard. The rest of his coaching record is spotty but squeezing 48 wins out of a core of Dragic, Bledsoe, and PJ Tucker is pretty remarkable. If you really want to roll the dice you also got Weaver who has head coaching experience at the G League level. Of course that doesn't immediately translate into success but he also coached in the NBL. If people were dismissing the return of JVG because he's been out of the head coaching gig for so long then why would Lucas get a pass when the last time he was a head coach occurred almost 20 years ago?

aaquaa and TriumVirate like this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Silas isn’t the answer for this group, but neither are any of his assistants, including Lucas. I don’t see much benefit in just rearranging the furniture, but you can’t fire everyone mid-season. I see nothing that leads me to believe that these guys are going to grow under Silas, and I hate that, but they simply aren’t responding to him. He has a strange roster to work with though, so Stone is just as much to blame. I’d like to see Stone make some roster changes and give Silas at least something better to work with before firing him mid-season. Even though I don’t think he’s the answer, and they should be better with what they have, this is an admittedly bizarrely constructed roster that I think anyone would find challenging to work with. If the guys can show any signs of growth at all, I think he deserves a chance to finish the season, but so far it’s just not there.

19. a time to chill

Wood is really the best player on the team right now. In a down year, he still leads the team in points, rebounds, and blocks per game. I think his underperformance is the result of not being motivated because he's on a one-win team. Losing this much isn't good even in a development/rebuilding year because it takes a psychological toll, everyone starts playing for themselves, and players lose faith in the coaching.

Silas probably isn't the best coach for the situation because he was hired to coach Harden and Westbrook, not develop young rookies. The team has looked undisciplined, particularly after halftime and Silas has struggled with lineups and instilling an identity for this young Rockets team. I'm not seeing much progress as the season goes on. IMO, it's better to fire him now than later because it's not likely to get any better with Silas as head coach.

20. steddinotayto

Now looking back, it's definitely weird how the coaching staff was put together. I mean at that time, the assumption was that Harden was still a Rocket and would lead this team. Hire Silas? Okay cool let's go with that but why would you go out and hire the likes of Lucas, Hornacek, Weaver, and DASAGNA DIOP to fill out your coaching staff? I mean the Nets and Steve Nash knew that he needed a strong staff to rely upon and coax MDA to come on board for a year. Like, what was the thought process behind getting these guys to support Silas? I don't even remember if Silas built his own staff or not.

Hank McDowell likes this.