1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Based on fangraphs rankings, this is where Houston’s roster stands:

C Terrible
    1B Average
    2B Excellent
    SS Below average
    3B Excellent
    RF Excellent
    CF Below average
    LF Above average
    DH Excellent
    SP Above average
    RP Below average

Marte (or Buxton) and a trade for an elite LHRP (Hader or Rogers) would go a long way to rounding out this roster.

Htown Legend likes this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Gold glove and batting title winning 1B is just average? Okay.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think catcher, Terrible, actually understated it. Which is crazy bc Dusty literally has the ability to make it average-ish just hitting Castro strictly against RHP, even if you want to keep the platoon 60/40 in Machetes favor.
    I’d quibble a bit on 3B (less than excellent unless we get a bounce back) and relief pitching (I’m fine with the reworked pen, even without Graveman, especially as JV re-signing will eat some innings and send some other talented arms back there. I would be pretty surprised, absent an injury to Presley, if the bullpen isn’t average next year. If 3B goes back to being excellent that will go a long way to making a successful season. I’d probably make LF average unless Yordon gets 40 or so games. Bringing in Marte and making Brantley a platoon player would go a loooong way to fixing the OF and turning it into an overall strength.

6. raining threes

Sign Marte and Graveman, plus a cheap SS stop gap like Galvis

Trade for Nola or Castillo

Bring up Lee in June and hopefully Pena is what he looks like he is.

This makes the Stros the leading WS contender and can be done.

BTW, the AL batting champ, who's a GG caliber fielder is avg. Damn these guys are hard graders.

7. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

He was the 8th best first baseman in baseball last year, I think average is probably a fair assessment.

Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I think Yuli's definitely above average. He's my boy.

The Drake, IowaAstro and AznH-TownFan like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs has Astros 1B unit ranked a perfectly average 14th. That’s a combo of a lot of teams having really good hitters at 1B and the projections expecting Gurriel to take a step down in babip and defense. But the difference is really minor. What’s interesting is that only 4 1B in the league (Vlad, Olson, Alonso, Goldy) project to top the 3.4 fwar Gurriel put up in 2021 (they project Gurriel for 1.9 next season).

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Must be the lack of power or they are projecting he will decline because of age. He is really good defensively and hitting for average. Pretty clutch as well. Don’t have much of a problem with any of the other ratings.

11. HTown2017Champs

They probably account for the fact that he doesn’t have much power, at a position where most of the other top players hit 25+ homers.

Wulaw Horn and MrBear1 like this.
  12. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

He was 8th in baseball in fWAR among first basemen in 2021 and he's going to be 38 next year. I think it's a fair assessment.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They actually project him to hit more HR and have a higher ISO next season than he did in 2021. The decrease in value is from a projected drop in babip (.336 to .297) and slight decrease in defensive value (-10.7 def adj to -13.9).

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Another way to look at this is the Delta War at each position from the best team at a position to the Astros projection (i.e., Best Team WAR - Astros WAR projection) to see how much room there is to improve at a position.

Pos Delta WAR
    C 2.6
    1B 4
    2B 0.2
    SS 4.2
    3B 0.6
    LF 1.5
    CF 3.1
    RF 2.8 (Holy Toledo Steamer loves Soto)
    DH 0
    Rot 3.2
    BP 3.4

If one like's MM defense 1 WAR better than the average catcher that isn't accounted for in easy to measure metrics, that would close C gap to only 1.6 WAR.

This type of evaluation focuses on SS, 1B, and CF as areas that have the most room for improvement among the position players.

Given decent health, I expect Astros outperform the Rotation projections the most out of the FanGraphs projections. I'd guess either LF or 3B is where the Astros current roster most underperforms.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Interesting way of looking at it and I agree with your take. I think looking at it from that angle further reinforces the idea that the only meaningful way for Houston to improve their roster is to add impact players; there’s really not much they can do on the margins IMHO. But it also points to the possibility that maybe adding an elite reliever (or 2) would have nearly as much relative impact as adding a star SS/CF, and possibly be much cheaper.

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Fantastic... happy to see people dumping on Yuli and his lack of power. He will prove everyone wrong again and drop 30 bombs next season.

HeyBudLetsParty and Htown Legend like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Dubin and someone like Graveman should make the bullpen quite formidable.

Bregatron and Htown Legend like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

FG projects Dubin’s k/bb/hr rates for be essentially the midpoint between Pressly and Maton (in terms of fip/era he currently projects as Houston’s 2nd best reliever). I agree he’d likely be a badass RP.

19. HeyBudLetsParty

how about Peter Solomon, seemed to be really good in his brief time. Small sample size or could he be a contributor out of the pen next season?

20. Landry's Tooth

That's an incomplete take...

So you're getting Realmuto's bat replacing our worst in Maldonado with a corner outfield spot to fill...

The corner outfielder is probably going to hit much better than Maldonado...

Your argument is payroll value alone...

Wulaw Horn likes this.