1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magical up/down arrows

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by jjsmooth, Oct 24, 2021.

1. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

In the forums, why is it that when I try to push the next button to go to the next page of posts, instead some up/down arrows magically appear that take me to the main forum page? These up/down arrows also magically appear a lot when I'm trying to type a reply. It is pretty terrible design. Please fix.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You provided absolutely no details as to what device and OS you are on. No idea what browser you have used or tried.

I've never experienced that problem on a Mac, Windows, Android or iPhone.

3. Buck Turgidson

Windows & Firefox (latest versions). Only happens when I use the scroll button on the mouse, black rectangle (approx 3" tall by 1" wide) with white up/down arrows appears in the bottom right corner of screen for 3-4 seconds. It's gotten me a couple of times when trying to click something in that same area.

burlesk likes this.
  4. bobrek

See... that's the kind of info that will help @Clutch.

5. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Well I have a pretty standard Samsung Galaxy using pretty standard Google Chrome.
    Glad that its never happened to you.

6. bobrek

My point is that if Clutch doesn't know your h/w and s/w he has the unenviable task of trying to duplicate it. Buck provided some good info as to when he sees it.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it happens then deletes the post being typed sometimes too

Squirtle likes this.
  8. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Have not experienced this yet.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The up/down arrows are designed for desktop viewing, and I find them useful for quickly moving to Top and Bottom. Not sure what OP means by “takes me to main forum”

But for touch-screen devices, I only use the down arrow, bc the browser touch devices already has a go-to-top feature. I might turn them off, if I could on touch devices.

10. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

When I touch the bottom right of the screen (usually because I am at the end of a thread page and am trying to use the next button) , the up/down arrows will then appear and i get directed to the main CF forum directory, showing all the main subforum (basketball, sports, etc). It does NOT take me to the top or bottom of the page.

Yes, a good solution would be to allow a user to turn off the up/down arrows.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure I could ever reproduce that behavior. The up/down arrows just don’t do that. @IBTL do you also hit an arrow and get sent to “main CF forum directory”?

There is a “breadcrumb” of forums, though, (in the too and bottom left, with a House icon), which can be used to take you to the home display

I meant that as feedback to Clutch, with regard to turning off the arrows entirely for touch devices, since touch browsers already have an Up feature, and the down arrow takes us too far to the absolute bottom, anyhow

12. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

I can tell you exactly how the up/down arrows do and don't do that for me.

If I touch in the general vicinity of the bottom right of the screen, the up/down arrows will appear. Then if I touch the up or down button, it will work as you say, moving me to the top or bottom of the screen.

However, if I touch near the bottom right of the screen for some other reason (like trying to hit the next button to go to the next page of posts), sometimes the up/down arrows magically appear right as i touch the screen. I then get sent directly to the main forum directory (not up or down on the page). Essentially, this occurs when I touch right where the up/down arrows will appear.

So I guess I could simply remember to scroll away from the bottom right of the screen when I want to hit next. But it seems to me to be a poor design choice to have this hidden up/down arrow feature located at the bottom right of the screen, which is the exact same spot the next button is most likely to be used during normal reading of the forum on a phone.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It happens when posting sometimes.if you click it accidentally it takes to main as you say

jjsmooth likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wow, I see those arrows and I know I've seen them for years now. But I never tried clicking one until this thread. Thanks!

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This happens so often for me when writing a post and then being sent back to the main page, it's terrible.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yup @heypartner

Squirtle likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Don't post from my phone much but it just got me, holy hell that's frustrating

18. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

This has happened to me numerous times, so often that I actively check before clicking next, and sometimes still end up hitting it. I'm using an android on Chrome.

Squirtle likes this.
  19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

What phone browser you use breh?

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Chrome and Brave.