1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I know this is premature

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by thacabbage, Jun 3, 2004.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

*But with all the hullaballoo (sp.) going into the year that the Astros have the best 1-4 in baseball, what happens come playoff time? Considering that they're the likely favorites to win the NL Central, this will be a real issue IMO. Do you follow ritual and chop the rotation down to 3 or do you pitch Wade Miller as well? Although its unlikely, its very possible that Wade Miller could win 20 games with an ERA in the low 3's. But would you really want to take starts away from Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite in a playoff series?

*Maybe more importantly, does Wade Miller return next year? I think it's 50/50. I don't know that management would want to break the bank for both Oswalt and Miller with Pettite signed and Redding and Hernandez on the cheap, and Oswalt is the obvious choice. I think they could get some top notch prospects in a trade and I fear they might explore that route.

2. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I think they would go with a four person roation simply because Wade Miller is too good to not pitch. Also, they gave Miller more money than he would have gotten through arbitration, so I think his loyalty is on our side.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Also with the way Roger is pitching.. do you keep him at 3 for sure.. or consider moving him up in the rotation to get as many starts as possible in a series? I guess you'd probably keep it how it is.. Oswalt is our "ace" and all..

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Pettite doesn't get his elbow and arm healthy, it may all be a moot point.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Just a question but would we want to use Miller in the bullpen just for the playoffs? I know that is way unconventional but damn that would be tough having Miller, Lidge, Dotel every night.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Not a chance. Clemens should and would be the Astros game 1 starting pitcher as of right now. You throw your best in game 1 because in a 5 game series that one game means a ton, and Roger has the most postseason experience of the bunch and is pitching like he wants his 7th CY Young award.

7. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I believe the chronicle mentioned that even with the way Clemens has been pitching, Roy Oswalt is still our ace and he would still get the nod.

I am sorry that I don't have a link but it was in the paper a couple of days ago.

8. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

this is if we get to the playoffs with the way we are playing.

9. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

You go with 3 starters and use Wade Miller out of the bullpen as a long reliever.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Miller has #1 stuff. So I think you start him. He's capable of knocking off someone like Prior on a good day. So why not. If you can coax the other team to start their 4 you have an advantage. If they don't we may still win that game plus get 5 and 6 with Oswalt and Clemens. So I'd start him and I'm typically old school with a three man rotation. But I like the options that Miller gives us.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Clemens - Pettitte - Oswalt

righty lefty righty

and yes, this is premature given the fact we cant score any damn runs

12. deepellumrocket

I wish we would stop talking about this until we're a little more assured of a playoff spot.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Assuming the 'stros get to the post season then the questyion becomes when did they clinch? They might have had to burn their staff the last week-end to get in and cannot 'set up' a play off rotation.

As of today, who among us think it is a lock that October is play time?

14. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

absolutely nailed it.

why talk about it when the astro's keep losing game after game after game after game

we're fighting to stay above .500 and avoiding another sweep, this time by the mariners.

let's wait a while until we talk playoffs.

#14 Rule0001, Jun 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  15. haven

haven Member

I consider Oswalt to be hands-down a better pitcher than Pettite. I prefer to go with the better pitcher, rather than the more experienced one.

I'd make Clemens the #1. Not sure if his raw stuff is better than Oswalt's these days... but he's terrific at managing through crises.