1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros pitching coach Brent Strom signing with Arizona Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 12, 2021.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Chill. Stromy wants his last gig to be a near home I guess. He deserves it.

whiskeyred and Rock Block like this.
  2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Man let it go. It’s not personal. He did say we were in good hands and the next guys were ready. He’s a 73 old man, he has a home here in AZ, Tucson to be exact so it will indeed lessen the travel burden. I’m happy for him and thankful for his work here.

rocketsjudoka and IowaAstro like this.
  3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Hey ONLY 73! :D

Squirtle and Nook like this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Best wishes to Strom. I hate to see critical pieces of the 2017-2021 Astros era depart.

There's only one solution: Bring back Jeff Luhnow. I'd be elated. I don't dislike Click, however. I think he's doing a nice job. But Luhnow is the best. An a-hole, yes, but worth putting up with.

lw17, raining threes and Nook like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’d be pretty surprising if Strom had a problem with Baker. Does anyone even dislike Baker personally?

He said he was done as an Astro, maybe he’d retire, maybe he’d look at other opportunities. He went the other opportunities route. He was completely straightforward after the World Series so no reason to not believe him.

msn and raining threes like this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's been talking about "retiring" since Luhnow got fired. Coincidence? I don't think so.

raining threes likes this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He never said he was retiring...

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yet, it is... one of my good friends is friends with Strom and his wife.

What grand conspiracy do you think is afoot?

lw17 likes this.
  9. lw17

lw17 Member

Yup, two words come to mind. DAMAGE CONTROL.

10. rockbox

My theory is he wasn't happy with Crane, but instead of airing his unhappiness publicly, he just took a different job. This is how most break ups happen. It's not you, it's me.

#70 rockbox, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    lw17, raining threes and Squirtle like this.
  11. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

?!??!?? 35684286 666 666 666 666 65486?!?!??!

12. Major

Major Member

Damage control of what? His contract expired. He's not an Astros slave and he has no lifelong obligation to the Astros. No one should have a problem with him choosing the job that's best for him.

Bregatron likes this.
  13. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Yep!

lw17 likes this.
  14. raining threes

The last of the old on field regime has been run out of town.

Let's hope the new regime can keep the org at the standards the old regime required.

I've got my doubts.

15. rockbox

I don't think damage control is the right term. It was a break up so obviously Strom wasn't completely happy. Great coaches don't just take the same job with a worse team. Strom is probably the best pitching coach in the MLB, so you know Crane would have paid him what they needed to pay him. Strom just chose a route that made the break-up softer. As I said my prior post, "It's not you, it's me".

16. Major

Major Member

Why? Coaches are no different than players, and he's already won a ring. They are balancing a bunch of different things - pay, family, competition, etc. Verlander almost stayed in Detroit because he was happy there, despite knowing his last years of hat contract would be spent on one of the worst teams in baseball instead of getting the same pay somewhere he could win. He only got convinced to go to Houston minutes before the deadline. Strom has connections to Arizona and is really old and wants to spend more time with family. Why not leave? As a bonus, if Arizona's pitching improves noticably this year, it will only further his legacy. Another year in Houston does nothing to further that. Maybe that was important to him. Who really knows?

As someone said earlier, people read way too much into things, and people also try to get in the heads of people who they don't know and assume they should think the same way they do and value the same things they do. If he just said "I'm ready for a new challenge", no one would have been upset. There was no break-up to make expectations for.

rocketsjudoka and Bregatron like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

He's also a couple of hours by plane closer to his relaxpad in Mexico.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

No surprise. Good for him. They got the best in the business.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's joining a 52-win team 30 minutes from where he lives and will likely retire. This is a "riding off into the sunset" gig - low stakes, no pressure.

You guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion, especially without knowing the inner-workings of the team. He heaped praise on the younger guys and said the team wouldn't be able to keep them if he stayed.

There's not much here to get overly upset about. He wasn't working some voodoo magic in a vacuum.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Man, I've never thought of it like that - but, yeah - great point.