1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I think Green screwed up choosing G League. He should have done what Lamelo did and gone pro in Australia. That would have given him the organization he needed to develop himself against grown men. G League competition is being exposed currently. Green did not develop last year like he could have.

2. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is a 19yr old playing against grown men - you can’t compare him to Barnes and Mobley … they’re bodies are more NBA ready .. helps them defensively.

Once his body gets stronger his defense will improve and his ability to finish inside will also

3. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Lol I love it. This is the JG hype thread so there definitely should be evidence of him beating his man. Do I thinks it’s prolific, no I think it happens … occasionally. I think he should be prolific at it but don’t see it yet. I’m sure he’ll get there eventually

19bernardo87 and SamFisher like this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Imagine thinking you have any form of victory in celebrating your own team not performing well.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

the P&R defense by Russ & Jordan here is absolutely iconic - Russ overplays Green to the right to the point where he doens't need the screen and just blows by him - doesn't bother with the roll man leaving Jordan to deal with both, who deals with neihter, and then just goes into rebound hunting mode. Easy to pick on Russ but for god's sake that 2017 MVP vote...

Corrosion and NewAge like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or played a year under a proper teaching coach in college.

The G league sucks.

DD

fattz likes this.
  7. SamFisher

I have a crazy idea - let's trade Wall to Lakers for Russ and a future first. Russ can buyout/waive/tank comand here. HOW DOES THIS NOT HELP EVERYBODY?

jiggyfly and NewAge like this.
  8. DaDakota

I am down with anything getting us out of 47m.........earlier.....however if not.....play the man - at least some.....I mean tanking again after getting FOUR FRPs seems a bit excessive.

DD

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I genuinely have no idea why any party thinks Wall sitting for 2 seasons (which is what will happen, nobody is trading for that contract) is the best option for anybody involved? We have 40+m of dead money on the roster, nobody sees Wall can play so he doesn't get to play elsewhere and might not get another NBA contract, we have a former elite PG who could help so many of our youngsters develop doing nothing. It's a loss for everybody in every angle I look at it. The only thing I can think is if we've already told him we're buying him out next season so he doesn't care about sitting this one. No way he gets anything like a decent contract (if at all) sitting on the sidelines doing jack for 2 years.

10. SamFisher

That's nonsense - Brian Shaw coached the G-League Ignite in the bubble last year; don't tell me random dude from USC coaching staff was doing "proper teaching' for 1-and-done guys like Mobley for 5 months that made him into a more NBA-ready rookie; that's just magical thinking

vlaurelio and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. DaDakota

Agreed.

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

And how many coaches are like that in college for top prospects?

13. dmoneybangbang

Lamelo was treated like a spoiled superstar who took a bunch of bad shots in Australia, there’s nothing to suggest that Green was babied in the G League. Lamelo is just a talented point wing who can also score.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

brilliant! If we can keep trading these two back and forth and getting a pick every time that would be the pinnacle of GM brilliance. The Stone Thermodynamic Cycle!

15. DaDakota

No, I am saying the G LEAGUE sucks for competition they don't play defense, it is a selfish "Look at me" opportunity - I don't think they develop for crap.....when Isaiah Hartenstein can average 20 and 10 there, and barely 2pts here it says a lot.

They ball is sloppy jack up 3 after 3 and play no defense.

I don't know what Shaw did, but I believe Green would have been better off working within a system with a college coach who teaches fundamentals since he lacks so many of them right now.

The magical thinking is that the Gleague is any way to get ready for the draft..IMHO.

DD

16. SamFisher

I heard a podcast about the G-Leauge Ignite, I think it was Woj and Givony - they were pretty high on the NBA-preparedness focus of the G-league Ignote program. It was all designed around that.

here it is: https://www.espn.com/radio/play/_/id/31223258

Look around at all the other rookies. Jalen Suggs sucks at shooting too - did Mark Few not do a good job at Gonzaga preparing him for the NBA? Same with Cade Cunningham.

Mobley is doing well because he has size, instinct, athleticism to make an instant impact on defense and as a roll/inside banger. I mean look at Clint Capela - he was dunking in fools faces as a rookie on lobs despite being ripped off the mean streets of Zurich. Green can jump out of the universe and shoot over anybody but on nights when it doesn't go in. . . he looks like crap, because that's what happens to primary scorers who can't shoot. Has nothing to do with some hoary college coach teaching him fundamentals.

Rocketeer likes this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

His biggest negative is he dribbles the ball off his own foot like 3 times a game.

PeterKingX, Bo6 and 19bernardo87 like this.
  18. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I have to imagine that Wall doesn’t want to go out there and lead a bottom dwelling team, lower his standing around the league, and also potentially get injured… he’s probably hoping he sits until he can be moved to a better team. What he doesn’t know is that his contact is liquid hot magma that no one will touch

Dobbizzle likes this.
  19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I wish Green could get a jump shot.

20. kevcai

kevcai Member

It's not the blazing start we all hoped he would get off to but there is still so much to love about his game and his future. What's more important than a player's first 10 games is his trajectory -- is he a player that will plateau early or always find ways to improve his game, year after year? I'm betting Green will be the latter and add facets to his game every offseason, in addition to getting stronger to improve his finishing/defense.

What is very promising so far is:
    • Confidence is extremely high, even in the clutch -- this is common across all of the greats
    • Has already shown he can get HOT -- potential to take over games
    • Shown more playmaking chops than originally expected
    • Gets shots from the flow of the offense
    • Can create space for stepbacks or drives to the rim -- this will only get exponentially better as he improves his handles

Dobbizzle, Scarface281, xaos and 3 others like this.