1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Coaching Staff Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Oct 28, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The team he had the first year here wasn't exactly full of replacement-level players though. Were they in development mode? I guess but all the key players like Dragic (3rd year), Lowry (5th), Martin (7th), etc. were vets by the time McHale came on board.

2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I think silas should get fired, could wake up the team about what happens in reality. This league is about playing hard, and trying to win every night. Not this "We are young things we dont have to win in year or so mentality" ..

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Grab a tissue kid.

Blaming everyone and anyone for Green being terrible thus far while simultaneously trying to take away from the accomplishments of others who are actuality playing well as rookies just shows what a ridiculous Green fanboi you are.... it's not a way to be taken seriously.

Green is struggling, as expected, because he's not an NBA ready player. His body needs development, his shooting has always been streaky rather than good, and he's pretty much awful when it comes to the mental side of the game. None of that can be blamed on others.... nor are they reasons to panic. Again it was expected by those who did proper evaluations

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Oh so am I to beleive that the same guy who says he's an analyst thinks that catching lobs from guards who can actually pass and being used in the right way is the same thing as throwing a rookie out there with no point guard no system and he is not a big he is not gonna be catching lobs (Unless Silas draws it up because he did with Shaw). You are not an analyst lol If he were a big SIlas would probably start Theis anyway lol How much is Scotty Barnes just him being good or how much of it is Nick Nurse's championship coach system. Chris Duarte with Rick Carlise. Meanwhile KPJ still playing like a rookie and Silas is coaching like someones drunk uncle.

#164 Joe Rocket, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    DeBeards likes this.
  5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy should not be on the Rockets bench.
    [​IMG]

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You're saying this because of the Jazz connections.

I'm saying it because he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else while sitting there. We get it, you thought you were going to help coach a team with Harden, Westbrook (or Wall) and CWood plus plus. But this is what you got. If not itnerested, you don't have to stay.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Stone is in a tough spot. He wants to give Silas a chance and the reality is that he wants that lottery pick for this season in a deep draft. The bigger problem for Stone is that he passed on Mobley and Barnes and those are both very good defenders and high IQ players. He took players in Green and Christopher that REALLY need strong coaching because they lack a natural feel for the game and because they are so raw.

The Rockets have a lot of problems, as any team early in the "tank" does. I can tell you right now that Kevin Porter isn't going to work next to Green. The defense is D-2 bad and Porter just is a poor fit.

Green is a rookie and will likely greatly improve and be very good. Green also doesn't have a great coaching staff or team around him. In many ways he is in a bad situation being drafted by the Rockets. At this point he is just jacking up shots and hustling and fending off Wood and Porter.

Having said that, Mobley was an elite defender and had a very high basketball IQ entering the NBA and he is doing what was expected of him. He can guard anyone on a switch and three positions straight up. He can finish inside on the give and go and hit open jumpers. I am not taking anything away from Mobley or Barnes.

Joe Rocket, Reeko and HP3 like this.
  8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Hard to judge a coach who was dealt such a horrible hand last year. (2/7 off suit and he had to play it)

This year the team is soooo young it's hard to tell where the fault lies. The team has a lot of issues, coaching is definitely one of them but its too soon to pull the plug. Lets see if the kids make progress this year if we're bottom 4 (and I think we will be) then you add more talent through the draft and maybe think about changing coaches if the players progress isn't sufficient.

9. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Too bad we missed our chance with Chris Finch.

Despite how awful we look under Silas, I haven’t given up on the idea of a rookie coach. Would love to give a look at Adrian Griffin, currently the top assistant on Nick Nurse’s staff, or Darvin Ham with the Bucks. Also intrigued by Becky Hammon.

But I suspect after this experiment, they’ll go with an experienced coach like Kenny Atkinson.

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yeah exactly you're right he is in a great situation for him. Garland is a great passer, Sexton is a near all star guard and Rubio is as pass first as it gets. His defense allows him to play small forward but only if the coach recognizes that and uses him in that compacity. Mobley didnt just decide to go guard Paul George on the perimeter he was told to do so by his coach. So these people try to act like coaching doesnt matter but coaching and system matter a lot when it comes to rookies.

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Well we don't really know what the goal for the Rockets are this season. Stone saw how hard it was for the Rockets to get over the top without any real lottery picks under Morey because the team couldn't bottom out. It is very possible that the goal from Stone this year is to add another high lottery pick and then worry about trying to build a team that can compete.

The Rockets have to know that Porter and Green is a terrible fit. For one thing it is the worst defensive backcourt in the NBA and Porter doesn't seem interested in anything but Porter. The Rockets could move Porter and get a real point guard if they really wanted to be as competitive as possible. The Rockets also know Sengun is being wasted, his high IQ play doesn't blend with headless chickens around him.

The only issue I have with what the Rockets are doing is how much harm potentially it could do to the development of Green, Porter, Christopher and Sengun. I would hope that one year of a rudderless Silas as head coach doesn't do too much harm.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Coaching and system and the culture of the organization matter a lot. I am in favor of the Rockets tanking this year for a top draft pick to play along side Green, but it is a dangerous game to play with a raw player like Green who may not learn how to play the game the right way.

I will be mildly surprised if Silas is back next season. I suspect after this season is done and the Rockets get a lottery pick, we will see the Rockets try to bring in a better coach and surround the young players with quality veterans.

One thing about Sexton, while he is a very good scorer, players hate playing with him.

HP3, SamFisher and Joe Rocket like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Finch has a personality that rubs some people the wrong way (including the owner of the Rockets) but he is a very good basketball mind.

I don't mind a rookie coach if they have a strong culture. Griffin will be a hard hire because of the claims of domestic violence against him.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

A lot of words, and like i mentioned previously just shouting "the Hawks" as your lone data point doesn't really account for most coachign changes that don't do ****; but let's hone in on this - who is the coach or coaches who takes this group of Rockets from 1-4 to - 2-3 or whatever you think proper coachign would get them?

Basically, what is your reasonable expectation of what the Rockets' record should be (or other metric, I don't care what you want to use, ORTG, whatever it doesn't matter) and why is Silas short of it?

HP3 likes this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I will say that I have full faith that Stone is the type of GM where he's solely focused on the young players on his team reaching their fullest potential and/or getting exposed in a way that he can move them to give other young guys a shot to see if they have value in the league.

I don't think he's just going to sit by and not notice it if Sila's is instilling bad habits that hurt the players growth, and value in the league. I don't think he gives a crap about winning games, but there are some alarming teasers that these players might actually be hurt long term with such a poor system for rookies.

Lets give it a few more games before I assume Stone will have a come to Jesus moment with Silas to challenge him to run more structured sets, and DEFINITELY have a more disciplined defense. If the guy can't coach outside of a D'Antoni free wheelin style I think he'll likely get cut loose around All-Star break, and we might see John Lucas hold the head spot the rest of the season to at least give him the empowerment to really focus on individual growth of the players despite the X's and O's.

In the offseason, I think it finally might be a good season to seriously think about Jeff Van Gundy if he's willing to take on the challenge. Next Summer we'll have another lottery talent, and might be able to make some more trades to give this team even more upside that needs structure.

16. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

It's been 5 games. 5. I'd pump the brakes a little here. Was the effort poor at times in the first half? Yes, which is concerning. But it is extremely early still. Jalen Green is 19. He's played 5 games in his career. Porter is 21. Second season of starting. Neither one of them is a true PG. Playmaking wings, especially Porter in terms of passing? Maybe, but not a PG. Eventually this team will need an actual point guard to help out.

It's gonna be ugly at times. They're playing good teams. Celtics, Mavs, Jazz. You do want to see effort and good plan of attack, and development from the young guys as the season goes on. But it's going to take time.

#176 MrSabotage, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Roxfan4lyfe likes this.
  17. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

If after the 25% mark of the season, 20 games in and they're floundering and lost and not improving IQ or showing ANY signs... Fair enough. Revisit it for sure. There needs to be progress in areas obviously, even if incrementally.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Tate is shooting a smooth 23% from range this year, actually way worse than Green. And FWIW Gobert is nearly as close to Tate as Wood. I wouldn't bet against him getting to that.

Of the things that went wrong on this play, I'm going to say "not being properly coached to toss the ball to terible 3 point shooter" is not among evne the top 5. THe big problem is having Rudy Gobert there and not having a James Harden level player or players to take him out of the play. This is a common problem in plays against the reigning DPOY, particularly among the worst team in the league.

There's a diiference between Houston and Utah. Does anybody think if Quin Snyder (inventor of the Rubio BUTT GUARD) moves over to the Rockets bench that the outcome is evne remotely different? Of course not. THe Rockets have maybe 2-3 players in the jazz 9 man rotation, and even then the level of continuity Utah has (same core for like 4 years) is way beyond anything anybody else (let alone the ROckets) has

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes , but my words were readable!!! :) I had to wade through your random bolding and horrible quoting to make sense of what you were saying!!! lol

And... you're still referencing record first.

I say this in all seriousness. Watch basketball. Watch the team. You don't need measurements. You just need to watch.

There is basically no objective or subjective measure in which one can say Silas and the coaching staff have done a good job this year. At best, it's your "meh, who cares!!!"

I'm not opining on who a good replacement would be at the moment.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Of course. I think most people get that. I think the concern is just the system itself mirroring D'Antoni's, and that kind of freaks people like me out that Sila's is a bit delusional about being able to give 19 year olds that much rope.

I'll admit I sort of hate NCAA style of play, but I do think that for the AAU kids, it's actually good to have that year or two of sort of extreme discipline especially on defense. I think for alot of these kids... and they are still kids... this year having that more structured system would be best for them. They have ALOT coming at them especially from the lifestyle. The NBA can eat up players in their first couple years.

I just think it's legit concerns about the approach more than the actual results we are seeing.

MrSabotage likes this.