1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I remember watch him shoot during half time in the pre season game, he actually hit about the same percentage of 3's as KPJ if not better. there's no reason why he can't just shoot it with confidence in game, espeically when KPJ jacks up so many step backs

2. Sengun

Sengun Member

It's normal for him to feel no confidence about shooting, as shooting is not a priority for him in his career in Europe and the teams he's played for since he was a kid. But in order to be permanent in the NBA, he must be able to prepare his own shot and I hope he is aware of that. Even having 3pt percentage around 30-35% will be great for him. Only this raw skill needs to be processed.

Drift Monkey, Mathloom and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I don't understand this "FIRE SILAS" mentality. I have no idea if he's going to be the coach of the future for the Rockets or if he'll ever be a successful coach in the league, but to say he should be fired at this point is just ridiculous. With all of the turmoil and injuries, 20-21 was a lost season, and no one outside of the Rockets FO has seen enough of Silas to make any value judgments about his capacity to coach. Four of the top 10 minutes leaders from last season are either gone or in street clothes, so it's going to take more than three games to work out the rotations and get everyone up to speed.

On Şengün, it's clear that his BBIQ is through the roof and that he already reads the game at a level exceeding his years. Not only does he do all of the little things that don't show up in the stats column in terms of positioning and awareness, the per 36 stats everyone's been posting & tweeting are extremely promising as well. However, I've noticed that no one posts about his 8.4 personal fouls per 36, which is the area where he'll need to improve the most in order to get more minutes.

I actually like how Silas is deploying Şengün thus far, as he's been getting his reps against the opposing team's bench squad. He's only 3 games into his NBA career, so I think that easing him into a larger role in the rotation is the right move. He's going to be foul prone as he adjusts to the speed and reffing in the league, and opponents will know that. Throwing him out there with the first unit and allowing them to switch & target him with their best perimeter player is going to result in quick fouls, early benchings, and frustration. I do think that Şengün will become the starter at or before the midseason mark, especially given the chemistry he's developing with Wood.

Ultimately, regardless of what you think is the wrong or right way to develop our young players or distribute minutes, the instability and discontinuity of a coaching staff turnover would be more detrimental than anything you think Silas is doing wrong. And I fail to see how anyone at this point could have made up their mind about Silas in the first place.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

5. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

love these kinds of videos that show BOTH highlights and lowlights

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Give me that **** !!!

DD

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Al Horford is a really solid defender.

On top of that Alpi, like Jalen, is getting very little benefit of the whistle. That behind the backer he turned into a spin but then Horford “stripped” him for example…. That’s a foul.

with all that though Alpi should slowly get better imo, and make a BIG jump next year as he will know exactly what to focus on in the offseason.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Nook and wlekfjv923n like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

MY GOODNESS!
    and coming from a guy whose only concern coming into nba was if he gonna be a defensive liability!
    Alpi is a champion!

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Guys his extended highlights are unbelievable. One of the most intelligent 19 year old basketball players I've seen.

Jokic/Doncic hybrid, maybe not as high ceiling but pretty damn close. What does a 23 year old Sengun look like? Super exciting. He has thus far exceeded my expectations as a defender as long as he keeps improving.

Doesn't even have an NBA body yet.

#1050 Mathloom, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Drift Monkey, IvanLCPM, Nook and 6 others like this.
  11. DreamR

DreamR Member

I'm glad the first English words he learned are ones he will be saying often.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Can't see Theis being traded this season ..... That's kinda bad business , sign the guy to a multi year deal and trade him 90 days later - unless there was some catastrophic meltdown.

Honestly I think he's done a decent / solid job all thigs considered , it's not like he has a team full of competent NBA defenders around him either.
    That contract isn't a bad one either .... $8m is chicken scratch in relative terms. Very easy to move should the need arise.

Yes , it would be nice if he would it some of those open 3 point looks he gets .... Sengun isn't hitting them either.

Hell even if they started Sengun and gave Garuba most or all of the backup minutes behind Sengun & Wood you'd still have a need for a quality big man.

No need to rush either of those rookie bigs into huge minutes , big men typically develop a little slower (says a lot about Sengun) and I'm content with the pace so far.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You guys are making a pretty good case, maybe we should do it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Silas for Sengun confirmed?

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

Love me some sengun

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

We're forming a band of brothers. They'll carry one another. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
    [​IMG]

Who's going to carry the boats?? Al-P will.

Shark44, Nook, AroundTheWorld and 4 others like this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

His defensive activity (steals, blocks, ability to draw charges), rebounding, passing, and foul drawing have really stood out for me early on (preseason, first 3 regular season games). The one big thing I’d like him to improve is his outside shooting. He is often open top of the circle, but hesitates to shoot it — instead looking for the drive or pass.

Nook, AroundTheWorld and CXbby like this.
  18. Sengun

Sengun Member

19. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Sengun is going to be a top 10 NBA player.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm probably in the minority but, after seeing how well Sengun holds his own as a rookie on the defensive end, maybe his ceiling is Marc Gasol which wouldn't be a bad thing at all.