1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I defended the move when we signed Theis, after all it makes alot of sense - sign a big with a defensive reputation that has the exact same measurables as your rookie with poorly advertised defense, but now I'm not so sure. I think we're better off starting Sengun and bringing Theis off the bench

ElDobleK, Mathloom, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  2. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

I ve a feeling if things go bad sengun get more touches. When team plays good he seems lost in offence. Silas does not draw any plays just wants run and find your way in defence. And sengun tried to do more and flashy at last game . i think he needs to learn play at his pace. He has no confidence to his body against bigger opponents. if he realises he can outsmart bigs and goes to score more he can be better. But last nights TO's were real rookie mistakes that i was not expecting from him.

#1002 berkowsk, Oct 24, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  3. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

You mean other than the fact he can barely jump over a book, is a mediocre shooter, has a very slow top speed, and has limited size and wingspan for a bigman?

vlaurelio likes this.
  4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Barely jump over a book yet gets blocks and dunks a lot.

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, I would much rather be a league average to decent athlete that knows how to play basketball over an elite athlete that can jump out of the gym and run like a deer, that can’t play a lick of basketball.
    We have plenty athletes on the team that don’t understand how to play a team sport.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

why is a 19 year old rookie from europe significantly better at defense than our "defensive signing" Theis?

13 in 33 likes this.
  7. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Dunks a lot? He has 1 dunk so far this year (small sample size I know). His vertical is maybe OK if he gets a running start, but has no lift at all at a stand still.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You need to do your research

9. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Ok

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

PLAY ALPI NOW!

Dovahkiin likes this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol, a vertical jump after a running start?

Wow lmao.

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This guy does it all, I wish they would let him be a bigger part of the offense.

Dobbizzle, MGC, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Porter seems to always overlook him.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

more than anything I wish he just plays with Jalen more. Those two are the future. And piggybacking on @AroundTheWorld …. KPJ is STRUGGLING as a “pg”. He makes lots of things too complicated. Do one move if that doesn’t work maybe another, then pass.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

his lack of any jumpshot is concerning tho....but its no wonder he has no jumpshot when hes terrific at everything else

Drift Monkey, Dovahkiin and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I love Sengun’s potential, but I’d be lying if the “Sengun is our best rookie” takes weren’t getting old.

17. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I think the jumper will come, it just wasn't something he was asked to do much in Turkey last year. His FT numbers are encouraging, means he's got decent fundamentals. Guy seems locked in, so I'm sure he's working with the coaching staff to improve that facet of his game.

DreamShook and hakeem94 like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is struggling a bit, good passing, and really needs to work on his 3pt shot, teams are leaving him open, if he can hit that, he will be golden.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I am a MASSIVE Sengun fan. He is amazingly good with the fundamentals, seems to have an "off the charts" basketball IQ, has a great feel for the game, knows where defenders are, is able to make the most of his limited athleticism.

So please understand when I say that he is better off NOT starting at the moment. Let Theiss and Wood start, and come off the bench. The more important thing is for him to get minutes. There was a sequence today in the 4th quarter which shows why - as talented as he is - he still needs time to adjust and learn. The sequence I refer to is when he made a beautiful move on Horford, and gets stripped by the wily old vet, who then runs the floor and finishes while Sengun fouls him for the and-1. With 2-3 more years experience that sequence plays out all in Senguns favour - but there is no substitute for experience. Let him come from the bench, learn the game with lower expectations and potentially against backups more often. It will do his game the world of good - as long as he gets the minutes (which he will).

Is he a starter in 20 games time? Maybe, but just him adjust from the bench to start with. As long as he gets the minutes, it really doesn't matter!

Rashmon, Little Bit, berkowsk and 2 others like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member